Whatever Happened to YOLO? - 4K Comedy Short - Shot on Red Epic Dragon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 6th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Whatever Happened to YOLO? - 4K Comedy Short - Shot on Red Epic Dragon

It gives me great pleasure to be able to finally post my first project shot with a red camera!

Or at least partially shot with a red camera. I had the Sony F5 with the 4k hack for several of the scenes before upgrading to the red epic dragon (feel free to guess which scenes were shot with what camera :) )

Gear/Equipment used:
Red Epic Dragon
Sony PMW F5 Cine Alta with 4k Recording Hack
Xeen 35mm,50mm
Libec RS 450 for dolly, and crane
Libec LX10 for sticks
Dana Dolly
Zacuto Universal Baseplate with 3" rods
Redrock Micro Mattebox
Nyrius Aeries Pro Wireless Video Transmitter
SmallHD AC7 Oled 7" Monitor
Lensse Follow Focus
EZFX EZ Jib with Extension Arms
DJI Ronin with Cinemilled Extension Arms
Sound Devices 302 Mixer
Rode NTG3 with Blimp, and Rode Boompole
Litepanels astra
Blueshape Vmount 180w

(Quick disclaimer: I was not paid, or sponsored to use any of the equipment, and my thoughts on some of the gear below is my own honest opinion after working with it)

So on to the setups:

(I have always have weird issues with posting photos to dvinfo, so I've attached the photos in a dropbox link)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x7exnv7py...eT30y19za?dl=0

Our 1st setup was indoors, and the one thing we regret looking back was that we lit it so warmly.
The actor with the beret on wasn't too bad, but our actor with glasses turned out quite yellowy, and that's after color correction.
We moved into the shot with the dana dolly to introduce the location, and then stuck to sticks after that.

The Nyrius aeries pro is really handy if you need an affordable wireless video transmitter.
That said it does have some annoying setbacks, that leave it in the low tier of transmitters.
1. if you move the camera too much you will lose signal.
2. If you go beyond about 50' line of sight you will lose the signal
3. if you get a wall, or door between the transmitter, and receiver you will lose the signal.
All that said if the camera is stationary, and your monitor/receiver are close by it works flawlessly.
We would run it for hours at a time on the setups for this video, and 4 or 5 others without a hitch as long as we worked within its limitations.
I have since upgraded to the ghosteye 150m, but at an entry level I wouldn't hesitate to get the nyrius again. the less cables running to the camera the better.

Setup two:

We shot setup two, and three on the same day with the EZFX EZ Jib with extension arms.
This jib has been really solid for me in the 5+ years I've had it.
The new EZ crane version they have released recently has some great design improvements, and time saving features, but overall I've been very pleased with the footage, and angles I can get with the EZ Jib.
We did a basic bounce board fill on the car window, and the rode NTG3 equipped with blimp, and deadcat on a c-stand for audio.

At this point we were running all audio directly into the Sony F5, that would be one of two areas, that I think Sony still has a leg up on red, and that would be preamps, and built in limiters (taboo to run audio directly to camera I know, but we have been doing that successfully for some time)

The Nyrius aeries was on camera each time we used the jib, to avoid running a long hdmi cable down the jib arm, we used a cheap, and very lightweight little monitor called a craig tv 15" for visuals, not very color accurate, but easy to use for reference, and light enough to easily transport.

Setup 3:

We put the easy jib to full height for this setup, and it worked flawlessly, we did have some difficulty getting critical focus at this point, because the dji focus decided to conk out, and didn't work again till after I got it home, and installed a firmware update.

Again we used a bounce board to help lighten our rooftop actors face.
Audio was tricky here because there just wasn't a good way to get the boompole up to the roof, so our director had to boom from just off of screen at ground level

We then flipped everything around, and shot the other direction.
I've had some trouble with the ronin just going limp while doing steadicam work by hand, but I have to say that when its on a jib for RPT work it is excellent!

Setup 4:

If you're still reading at this point, then I guess you know when we switched cameras :P
MOSQUITOES, ugh they were so bad next to the little creek on the left!
we didn't anticipate they would be so bad here, but we certainly didn't stick around any longer than we had to because of them.
We deployed the litepanels astra here, along with a pretty basic setup for mic, and camera.

Setup 5:

Ah the baseball field nice golden hour lighting, and no mosquitoes :D

We used one astra for the pitcher, and then because of the dwindling light, we setup two astras for the batter to help counteract the waning light.

Setup 6:

Now we've gone full circle back to our first location, but a different setup.

Dana dolly for the reveal with a fast move over, and then a nice slow pan for the duration
We used a few arri lights with the astras for this, and it was the 1st time we actually used the sound devices 302 (we didn't actually have it before this haha)

All in all, a fun shoot with some different setups, and locations.

I've been shooting with sony cameras for many years, 6+ now, and I have to say that I truly did not know the full extent of what I was missing until I got the dragon.
The color accuracy, and increased detail, along with post adjustable white balance absolutely blow me away.

I've already shot several projects on it that are currently in the editing bay, and I can't wait to share them with all of you in the near future!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, comments questions, and critiques!
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work