And original Webseries (gh4) at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
An original Webseries (gh4)

I wanted to share a webseries that I did with my class of actors, SIMPLE LIVES.

It was more of a concept piece since we had no money to do it and I had to do it all myself, which ended up being so much work. Lots of challenges, with getting locations, and using them again a second time when you have no money. Actors being unreliable etc. In the end I tried to at least just come up with some general characters and situations that I would like to pitch to get funding and then doing ti the way it should be done.

Enjoy it.

Episode 1:


Episode 2:


Episode 3:


More episodes will be posted over the next few weeks. Hoping to finish around 6 episodes from what we shot, and maybe more.
__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com

Last edited by Brian Duke; August 7th, 2016 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Episode 4 now up. Would love any questions or comments.

Enjoy and share if you want:

__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Episode 5 now up!

Episode 5 now up. Would love any questions or comments.

Enjoy and share if you want:

__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

For anyone enjoying it, here is Episode 6. Love to take questions.

Episode 6:
__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,049
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

The silver headphones on the black dude in ep1 are waaaay too big.

Just saying. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

I don't think there is a black dude in EP 1, and those headphones are cool expensive headphones.. juz saying! :)

But thanks for your comment..
__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,527
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Brian,

I hope you don't quit posting here because of a lack of comments. I like watching your work but I barely have time to watch it much less comment. I had a lot to say about Cup Cake but never got to it. I watched EP1. There is no need for me to give props for your professional level of polish. You know what your doing. This is not your first attempt at these shorts. I think they are outstanding with just a few caveats.

Andrew, you made me laugh out loud. With everything going on in that flick you chose to comment on the big headphones. They are annoying to look at. They look like they are going to fall off any minute. These are dramatic flicks, The emphasis is often on "dramatic" not ordinary. If he replaced them with ear buds then they should not be there at all, they would serve no purpose.

Keep it coming Brian, I will try to watch more when I get time. EP1 had far less mistakes than Cup Cake.

Steve
__________________
Steven Digges
Still learning twenty years later.
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:18 AM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,231
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Wow, fantastic. How big is the crew that put this together.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Simon,

It's really difficult sometimes to know if the comments made are sarcastic, trying to be funny, or serious. So excuse me if I am lost.
__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Brian,

I hope you don't quit posting here because of a lack of comments. I like watching your work but I barely have time to watch it much less comment. I had a lot to say about Cup Cake but never got to it. I watched EP1. There is no need for me to give props for your professional level of polish. You know what your doing. This is not your first attempt at these shorts. I think they are outstanding with just a few caveats.

Andrew, you made me laugh out loud. With everything going on in that flick you chose to comment on the big headphones. They are annoying to look at. They look like they are going to fall off any minute. These are dramatic flicks, The emphasis is often on "dramatic" not ordinary. If he replaced them with ear buds then they should not be there at all, they would serve no purpose.

Keep it coming Brian, I will try to watch more when I get time. EP1 had far less mistakes than Cup Cake.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I would love to hear whatever you or others have to say. And I don't get discouraged. I take the hate as much as I take the compliments. Some comments just seem to be serve no purpose, but it'll good. I have thick skin, but obviously prefer constructive criticism as it will help better myself, even if I disagree with it.

I have more to come. Simple Lives only one more episode.
__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,231
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Yep, that was a serious honest question.
How many cameras, what about audio, lighting etc...
I noticed just you in the credits and If you have shot, directed edited etc... that's a massive undertaking.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Yep, that was a serious honest question.
How many cameras, what about audio, lighting etc...
I noticed just you in the credits and If you have shot, directed edited etc... that's a massive undertaking.
That's why I thought you were being sarcastic. Yes I did everything. And yes it was a massive undertaking, doing sound, DP, writing, directing producing, editing, make up etc.

Only used GH4, use my little soft boxes lighting set up and 4 wireless mics with a Tascam recorder.

It was doable.
__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,231
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Good on ya and I know how much work is involved, been there... hang on I'm still here.

Gota say the GH4 holds up well.

Ah, I forgot to ask you, Audio, how did you handle this with 4 or more actors at once, what gear do you use.

Ah, sorry I just re read your response with audio in previous post.

Cheers,
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #14
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,231
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Cupcake

Wow.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 864
Re: And original Webseries (gh4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Good on ya and I know how much work is involved, been there... hang on I'm still here.

Gota say the GH4 holds up well.

Ah, I forgot to ask you, Audio, how did you handle this with 4 or more actors at once, what gear do you use.

Ah, sorry I just re read your response with audio in previous post.

Cheers,
Simon
Yeah I kinda prefer doing the sound myself, unless I have a budget for some real good sound people. I just found most sound people don't do that good of a job if you are on a budget. This is also from doing a ton of post over the years on other peoples projects. I am still learning, but I have come far in the last year or so.

Thanks for watching Cupcake :)
__________________
Visit me and my work at www.artofduke.com
Brian Duke is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

EVS
(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2015 The Digital Video Information Network