PXW-Z150 In The Air at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 29th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Photographer

PXW-Z150 In The Air

It's not my FS/7, but ever since I took it out of the box it has performed nicely in a lot of tough
situations

Old November 30th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: PXW-Z150 In The Air

James - had to watch this several times! Great aerobatics and Great videography!

Years ago a friend of mine built a Thorpe T-18 which looked very similar to this one. On one of his earliest flights he pointed at something straight ahead but with no soundproofing and a very noisy cockpit I couldn’t understand what he was saying. The next thing was a barrel roll.

There were several places where he wasn’t moving that fast horizontally so you must have been using a long telephoto from a distance to keep him centered or perhaps in a helicopter?

A few years later we got our own C-172. The two things I really didn’t like about flying was doing stalls and severe turbulence. Even with struts I was always concerned abut the structural integrity of the wing and the structural fatigue of the bolts in the struts. All it would take is one to fail. Flew everywhere from Las Vegas tot he trade shows, LA, and up to Juneau and Glacier Bay. Got lots of “sea stories” to tell.

Really nice video!!! Thanks for sharing.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Photographer

Hi John,

Glad you enjoyed the video! The Extra 330 that was flying in the video is stressed for an incredible amount of G's, both positive and negative. I don't believe one has ever had a structural failure, even though they are largely for air show and aerobatic training. Single engine Cessna's are pretty tough little birds, I can't recall ever hearing of a structural failure on a 172 and I know that there has never been one on a 182. Pretty amazing when you consider some of the things pilots have done with them over the years.

The sections where Adam is moving slowly are shot in slo-mo at 120fps on the Z-150. I captured this video over several weekends with The Blue Angels and put it together to honor Captain Jeff Kuss who was killed in an accident this year. This was captured on the Sony PXW Z-150...

Old November 30th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice work James. I had aerobatics training in an Extra 300L a few years ago. Awesome aircraft and a lot of fun to fly.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #5
Photographer

Hi Jim,

Glad you liked the video! Yes, Walter Extra certainly changed the aerobatic landscape with that design. The maneuvers it's capable of through sheer power and prop wash are pretty incredible.

JW
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi James

Nice work. Not a lot of flying in the actual video, planes don't fly sideways! Hell of a lot of skill on display though. The only time I did any aerobatics was as a passenger in a Victa Airtourer (yes, the lawnmower company) as a twelve year old with my Dad, it is fun.

Great video, keep 'em coming!

Last edited by Tim Lewis; December 2nd, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Tim Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:05 PM   #7
Photographer

Thanks for the kind words Tim! Yup! There's nothing quite like that first loop and roll, watching the world gracefully rotate at your whim, it's magical. I'm working hard on bringing my cinematic techniques up to the level of my still work and it's a real challenge. Color grading my FS/7 RAW Slog makes me feel like being a Photoshop expert is little more than paint by numbers, but it's coming along.

Last edited by James R. Wilson Sr.; December 2nd, 2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add a clip
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:47 AM   #8
Photographer

The Sony PXW Z150 shines again in this sunset capture of two Beechcraft A-36 Bonanzas...................

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work