DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Wedding Highlight (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/534261-wedding-highlight.html)

Brock Burwell June 15th, 2017 11:00 AM

Wedding Highlight

Would love comments and constructive criticism on a wedding highlight I did this past weekend

GH5, 12-35 2.8, Sigma 35 1.4, Sigma 50 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 100 Macro 2.8, Came TV Single, Monopod, Edelkrone Slider

Noa Put June 15th, 2017 12:06 PM

Re: Wedding Highlight

Very noice! Some great shots in there, nice framing, smooth motion.

What I would be careful with is going too close in close ups, especially with people who have skin imperfections; the grooms closeup at 00:36 is not very flattering. There are also a few shots in there which are on the edge of over exposure but the ones between 02:26 and 02:30 are too far over but not unrecoverable yet, I have had good success using the EOSHD lut for panasonic camera's to bring back some lost highlights.

The only thing I miss a bit is a voice, you see some people speak but you don't hear them and that's something I always try to prevent.

Did you find the need to use a monopod with the GH5?

Brock Burwell June 15th, 2017 02:01 PM

Great suggestions in there Noa.

I really do agree with you on the close-up shot of the groom with his acne. I love the shot and especially with the transition to the bride, but I put it in there to see if anyone would say anything about it cause I wasn't sure if it was too much. Maybe I'll go back in and find something else.

In regards to the over exposure, I'll go back in and see if I can pull that back down a bit. Thanks for the suggestion on EOSHD.

I'm glad you mentioned having a voice. I had planned on having voices in the video, but during the ceremony, the keyboard player played non-stop. There wasn't 1 moment during the ceremony that he wasn't playing, which is fine, but that audio isn't really usable for me. That ever happen to you? How do you combat it? He did the same thing at the reception, which makes the reception speeches unusable for me. Any suggestions on that would be great.

For the monopod - this was actually my first time using the GH5 and after looking at the footage, I really may not use the monopod again (especially when using Panasonic lenses). I even used my Sigma Art lenses which do not have IS and they still looked really great (especially when slowed down). Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I'll go handheld anything over 50mm though. I used the 70-200 on the monopod as that was almost necessary because of the weight and the focal length. I still will probably find myself using the monopod if I'm using my EF lenses just to be sure. But I could definitely get by with a halfway steady hand. This GH5 is really quite the camera. I'm loving it.

Noa Put June 15th, 2017 02:15 PM

The problem with the groom is not necessarily the scars his acne left but the yellow pimples around his nose which draw attention. I had a bride like this end last year and I deliberately kept more distance as I usually also go quite close to the face once the make-up is done.

Now you mention it abuut the keyboard player I had a similar situation years back! They also had a keyboardplayer and the idiot started to play silent backgroundmusic when the couple did their vows but he ruined it for me because I couldn't use their vows in the highlights that where going to be online. The mike that was used for the vows was also connected to the mixer that belonged to the keyboardplayer so music and voice was mixed in one track, super annoying.

I stopped using my monopod as soon as I got my g80/gx80 and gh5, never been so easy to get my shots on the move :)

Brock Burwell June 15th, 2017 02:36 PM

Yea I actually had the groom and the minister mic'd each with a Zoom H1 and I had a H6 plugged into the mixer so I could make sure I had great audio, but it was picked up by every single mic. Not looking forward to that conversation with the father of the groom who paid for everything.

Yea the GH5 is really a great, great camera. I'm super happy with the purchase. It's interesting the differences between the GH4 and the GH5. It's funny, my wife who rarely shoots video with me but is always there with me on shoots picked it up when I got it in and she said, "Now this feels l like a real camera, not like the GH4." Which made me laugh. I love the GH4, but the GH5 is just heftier enough to feel solid and nice in the hand.

Noa Put June 15th, 2017 02:40 PM

I only wish they had moved that display button, I constantly am pressing it, if I could I would rip it out of the body :)