My Houston Halloween film fest movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 31st, 2005, 01:23 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

My Houston Halloween film fest movie

So they started a festival last year in Houston, with the above title (I don't feel like rewriting it), and I made an entry this year.

A few details:

First off, this is NOT the final final version, but it's what got done in time for the fest. I know it needs some trimming here and there, and I want to do some other stuff to it, but it's certainly presentable as is.

Shot over three long-ass days, and edited in a week in a half (including one awesome 34 hour day for me)

I wish I could take credit for the look, but I had a pro gaffer/DP on this (volunteer, not hire--who's gonna give ME money?). We both operated, however.

three especially fun facts

- that scene really is lit only by fire and a little flashlight. We did not have permission to be there, and we had a genny but it was some random genny reputed to be very loud, as in us-getting-arrested-loud, so we went without.

-that spark is real. I don't know why he did that, but he really is doing what he appears to be doing, and it's really plugged in. No one was hurt, but holy crap was it funny

-I got hit very hard in the head with an object used in a popular but very tame sport. Guess which scene. I'm fine. Really.

Anyway, the link:

http://www.joshbass.com/alarm_qt.mov

32.8 MB (sorry I really didn't think it could take more compression)
17 minutes
quicktime 6 - seems to be less problematic then my usual windows media player, though file sizes are harded to keep down.

Hope you people dig it.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Does the link work?

I see that many have viewed, but none have loved :-(. I need love.
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

what camera? lighting is some scenes was great but others seemed like they might have been rushed and lighting wasnt thought up
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #4
Major Player

I liked it...
It was a little slow at times...

But after many years of playing with video...
I understand how much work went into this!

Keep 'em coming!
I wanna see more of your work!

BRAVO!
Brent Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Yes, lighting was hurried in some scenes. As I said, we shot this (way too) quickly, at least for the amount of material we were trying to cover.

It was three different XL1s's.
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have to say, it was slow during some parts, but the overall concept was great! I also have to say that I was laughing out loud on multiple occassions. I thought you did a great job. The part where the girl is trying to talk dirty and all you hear is the alarm clock . . .brilliant . . . . and sooo funny. That and when he cuts the power cord (thank goodness he wasn't hurt).

Great job, man. I'll bet your 'finished' piece is even better.

Also, was it just me or did I catch a Garage Band loop or two in there? I love that program!
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

Yes, I think you did hear a garage band loop. A friend gave me all his on a DVD, and I use 'em with ACID.

Could you guys let me know which parts you think are slow? I'm probably aware already, but I just want to see. Some places I kinda have to let run long 'cause we didn't shoot enough (or sometimes any) coverage, so I just have one shot to convey something, and have to let it go 'til it's cuttable. Other places, I was just didn't have the time to sit back and watch and recut before it was due for the fest.

Last edited by Josh Bass; November 7th, 2005 at 06:38 PM.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work