DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   "The Ninjews", my short, is finally done. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/5423-ninjews-my-short-finally-done.html)

Josh Bass December 11th, 2002 11:19 AM

"The Ninjews", my short, is finally done.

Alright gentlemen and ladies, it's here. Here is the link:

http://www.image-studio.com/movies/theninjews02.htm

Thanks to Paul Sedillo for hosting it on his site.

Dylan Couper December 11th, 2002 12:43 PM

Josh, my fiancee and I both watched this. We started laughing when the animation started, and stopped when the theme music ended.
Awsome! Your hard work paid off.
I hope you submit it to something like Triggerstreet.com.

Two questions...
How many hours did you put into it?
How tall were the figures?

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 11th, 2002 12:55 PM

Congratulations, Josh--

Great concept, great story, great intro, great climax, great ending--

Great camera work (love the depth of field--how'd you do it?), great animation, great sound design, great compositing, great music. Thanks for sharing your work with us. Looking forward to whatever now moves to the top of your slate.

Paul Sedillo December 11th, 2002 02:13 PM

As Dylan mentioned in a prior post, good to see you actually use your equipment! (j/k)

Great stuff Josh! You should be proud of this body of work. I expect it will do well in the animated festivals that you submit it to. Thanks for sharing it with this forum.

Josh Bass December 11th, 2002 02:30 PM

Robert,

Depth of field was more a byproduct than an intention, but it worked to my advantage. These models were mostly in the 5-6 inch range of height, and I had to zoom in almost all the way to frame them the way I wanted, even with the camera about five feet from the set.

John Locke December 11th, 2002 06:23 PM

Josh! What a goyim nakhes! This is really a hoot. You've gotta get this into festivals and onto things like Triggerstreet.com. Let me know when you do and I'll run over and cast a vote for you.

Zac Stein December 11th, 2002 08:10 PM

HAHAH

I am still laughing... very nice and funny, reminded me of a short film a friend shot which was set at the 'shabbat' table where a giant leg of ham falls from the sky in the middle of dinner, and the avenging Rabbi must save the day.

John, i translated what you said (i speak yiddish) and it made me laugh almost as much as the flick.

Mazeltov Josh, I hope you learnt a lot from the exercise and can continue to pump out the good work, because you have a lot more patience than me to do such a huge task.

If possible i would love a higher quality copy, like a s-vcd version so i could show it to my family, i think they will find it very funny.

kermie

doctorxex December 11th, 2002 08:15 PM

That RAWKS.
I am an orthodox Jew and found that short film to be irresistably hilarious.

I will now link this to all my friends.

Bryan Beasleigh December 11th, 2002 08:35 PM

Well done and hilarious. Humour even us genitals can understand!

Aaron Koolen December 11th, 2002 08:42 PM

Bryan, speak for yourself when you call us genitals ;)

Josh, good stuff man. I admire your patience. What sort of clay did you use. I tried with plasticene once and gave up really quickly ;)

Mark Austin December 11th, 2002 09:31 PM

How on earth..

did you create such an engaging work, and find time for anything else (like being in the to ten posters here)? Josh it's an awesome short, I can't stop watching it, like any good piece I get something more with every new viewing. I love the humor about hell, my kind of stuff. You must truly have the patience of a saint, you do believe in saints don't you? :)

I hope you get it submited to some festivals, it deserves to go in front of a larger audience.

Mark

p.s. who started the "genitals" thing?

Josh Bass December 11th, 2002 09:43 PM

Yes, it will be submitted to festivals. I shall try this "Triggerstreet.com" you speak of. The guy who mentioned genitals. . .that was a joke right?

Clay type used was called Van Aken. It's an oil based clay that never dries out or hardens.

Barry Goyette December 11th, 2002 10:31 PM

That was alot of fun....hell with triggerstreet...what about SNL...they haven't had a good laugher like this since Mr. Bill.

Great job, Josh.

Barry

Josh Bass December 11th, 2002 11:07 PM

Do they take unsolicited submissions?

Bryan Beasleigh December 11th, 2002 11:08 PM

I miss spelled gentile, so shoot me ! We need a spell checker I guess.

Josh Bass December 12th, 2002 01:51 AM

What a way to misspell! I thought you were just being cute.

John Locke December 12th, 2002 02:03 AM

Josh,

These guys are on to something...why not try to get it on SNL? The e-mail address is SaturdayNightLive@nbc.com. Just give them the link to it and ask them if they'd be interested.

Then, after you're famous, you could come back from time to time to the forums and say hello to me and the other genitals.

Rick Spilman December 12th, 2002 08:05 AM

"I miss spelled gentile"

I kind of prefer genital myself.

Wonderful clip. Very funny. Well executed.

How long did typical second take to shoot? Did you adjust the clay every frame, every third frame? Fascinating stuff.

Rick

Rob Lohman December 12th, 2002 08:35 AM

Very good work! Was fun to watch, brilliant! and thanks for showing
it here...

Dan Holly December 12th, 2002 02:11 PM

Excellent job Josh!

I'll show this to my kids tonight and report back on their take on your short.

All I'll say here is, that you and I could have hung out as kids <;~)

This makes me wonder why I never filmed our army men shooting range in our closet (with a brick of BB's, a couple of Daisy air rifles, and my malicious brothers =).

Dan Holly December 12th, 2002 02:14 PM

Excellent Josh!

I'll show this to my kids tonight and report back on their take on your short.

All I'll say here is, that you and I could have hung out as kids <;~)

This makes me wonder why I never filmed our army men shooting range in our closet (with a brick of BB's, a couple of Daisy air rifles, and my malicious brothers).

Bryan Beasleigh December 12th, 2002 02:57 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : What a way to misspell! I thought you were just being cute. -->>>
I was!
Should have turned the villain into pork rinds, could have sold them at DV Expo

I'm still chuckling.

Josh Bass December 12th, 2002 04:37 PM

See, but the whole point of "Kosher Power" is to "kosherize" that which is not kosher. . .pork rinds would be against that philosophy.

Dan Holly December 12th, 2002 11:12 PM

funny

Josh,
My 11 year old gave it a 4 out of 5 stars.

I almost cried I was laughing so hard when he said "but the white Ninjew doesnt have any pants" !

I love it......hehe

Josh Bass December 12th, 2002 11:23 PM

All part of my subliminal plan. . .

Jay Gladwell December 13th, 2002 12:39 PM

Cool animation, Josh, That was worth the wait! Now tell us how you did it in video.

Josh Bass December 13th, 2002 01:24 PM

Jay, what do you mean? I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Jay Gladwell December 13th, 2002 02:14 PM

I remember you were wrestling with how to do the animation on video since the camera can't shoot a frame at a time. How did you overcome that?

Josh Bass December 13th, 2002 03:24 PM

Ah yes, you are referring to THE SYSTEM. Well, what I did was put the camera in interval mode, and shot the least amount of time available, .5 seconds, for each "frame." I calculated that speeding up the footage shot this way by 750% (7.5x) would give me the equivalent of two frames of video per frame of animation, or 15 fps.

I took the un-sped footage into Vegas Video, and use the playback properties to speed it up 4x, and then an envelope to speed it up an additional 186% (I found that 4 X 1.85something gives you 7.5, but I couldn't get that precise, so I rounded up).

That's pretty much it.

Doug Quance December 13th, 2002 04:01 PM

Great piece of work, Josh!

I was laughing so hard, I missed half of the lines!

I will be watching it again!!!

Josh Bass December 13th, 2002 07:42 PM

To Dylan Couper, way back to your first post

I put in about an average of three hours a night every day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Took a week off after finishing the first scene, and a night or two here and there. Two months of shooting, I think.

Rob Lohman December 16th, 2002 06:37 AM

I was wondering why you just didn't hook up the XL1s through
firewire to your editing system and just "captured" an image
from there whenever the puppets where in the next space. This
would have prevented you the need to change the playing speed
of the movies and all that? (just a thought)

Josh Bass December 16th, 2002 12:39 PM

Cause I didn't shoot this at my house. This was shot in my girlfriend's living room.

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 16th, 2002 02:36 PM

You must have a loving, tolerant girlfriend.

Josh Bass December 16th, 2002 03:37 PM

Of course. They had a room in their house they never use, so that was my studio.

Rob Lohman December 17th, 2002 05:52 AM

Ah, I see.... Well, at least you had a studio! Sweet!

Paul Sedillo May 30th, 2003 05:36 PM

Update

Since Josh is a modest bloke, I wanted to pass along the fact that he was paid a high honor. His short film "The Ninjews" was selected by Spike and Mike for inclusion on their next DVD release. Spike and Mike's DVD's are a compellation of what they feel represents the best of animation for the given year. Their DVD's have included Oscar winners, so Josh is in rather fine company.

Way to go Josh!

Spike and Mike's web site: http://www.spikeandmike.com/

Akos Szemenyei May 30th, 2003 07:18 PM

Not there anymore, is there a different link now?

Paul Sedillo May 30th, 2003 07:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Akos Szemenyei : Not there anymore, is there a different link now? -->>>
I need to put the video back up online for Josh. Should be back by tomorrow.

Alex Knappenberger May 30th, 2003 07:44 PM

Yeah, I didn't get to watch it either.... =/