DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/54679-show-your-work-2006-a.html)

Leo Pepingco May 28th, 2006 06:48 AM

I like the stylistic effects you do with the gags. Although I did find the pacing a little slow, the jokes were easy to get. I think timing is what let you down.

I dont want to sound mean, its just that I do stand up for a hobby myself, and I know how hard it is to get something funny down on camera right.

Overall, the atmosphere of the whole film set was perfect, and I particularly liked the two male dominatrix thing. I pissed my pants it was so funny and absurd. I just think with faster editing and dialogue, it would have gotten a 4 out of 5 from me. (5 is reserved for the likes of Dave Chappel, and Team America) But I think I'll give this a 3 and half.

For your first comedy film, I'm impressed really. My first bombed out, and it wasnt until 4 more tires at it I got an audience to really laugh out loud. So keep at it, you'll eventuall hit that coveted gold mine that us comedians aim for.... the never ending laugh. lol....

Good job.

Glenn Gipson May 28th, 2006 07:06 AM

Thanks, I do appreciate the constructive criticism, really I do. I'll do much better on my second feature. The biggest problem I had was that I'm not really a "technical" person and I ended up doing the lighting, the camera, the sound, and the sound mix on my own. Movie making is such a complex art form that you really can't master all aspects of it. I always thought that horror was my thing, but I enjoy comedy way more than any other genre because the audience reaction is immediate and gratifying (either people laugh, or they don’t.) Three stars is dearly appreciated!

Leo Pepingco May 28th, 2006 08:14 AM

I can totally understand.

I'm glad you ddint take my comments the wrong way. Dont get me wrong, I liked the film, especially for a first attempt.

Now that you say you did some horror, I can see why the handcuff scene was so damn funny. I like the take you did on it. Especailly with the blocking of the big black man and the white man that reminded me of Hulk Hogan for soem reason.

I dont like offering critisism because often film is an art, and his to his own. But if its comedy, we in Australia live by the tennant that you share the tricks of the trade. And all I'm saying is, the comedy works, just work on the timing and you'll be fine.

OMG!!! I almost fell over with the condom bit. Scratched my head with some of the acting of the two girls, but the condom in the mouth bit was so unexpected I think I wet my pants!! It reminds me of this great movie "How high" and how absurd things can just get.

BTW... Here's a link of a tips page if you ever decide to start writing comedy dialogue on top of your physical comedy.
http://www.pilotproject.tv/7_laws_comedy_writing.html

David Delaney May 28th, 2006 08:41 PM

New place to showcase music videos

We have a new show up called Vsides where our host Edna M showcases indie bands and videos.

http://www.v5tv.com/vsides.htm

We are pretty proud of it, so support from the DV/HD crowd is always welcome.

If you have some videos and the rights to them, talk to us :
contact@bionicbuddha.com

Peter John Ross May 29th, 2006 02:19 PM

making a scene in an Indie Fim

Horrors of War - MAKING SCENE 12, click here

This is a 5 minute video showing the dangers of shooting in the wilderness as our cast is attacked by a giant spider in real life. Hear from the actors how they dealt with natures greatest threats during filming of one scene in Horrors of War

Interviews & behind the scenes shot with the Panasonic DVX100 by Gil Whitney (www.gilwhitney.com)

James OClaire May 30th, 2006 12:03 PM

That was really cool! Yeah, I thought it was a bit slow and I was starting to get bored watching it, but then I'm still a teenager and the target audience might not feel the same way.

I loved all the graphics you did in it, what programs did you use? Excellent color.

Well, except for the brown, I didn't like that too much... kind of band-aidy but I'm sure it's meant to be. The brown kind of blurs the first scene of the girl at the computer, but looks fine all after that.

Really awesome, where will this be used?

And also, thank god my mom's not here to hit me for saying this... but, if you don't mind, approximately, just a round estimate... did you get for making this? Also, how long did it take you to complete it?

Super cool super cool, have a good day

Jacob Walker May 31st, 2006 11:31 PM

Funny you should mention the brown color James, some people didn’t like it either, so I made one with a blue background.

http://www.heydocsoftware.com/downlo..._high_blue.mp4

Used After Effects a little Photoshop and then Premiere Pro. Where will it be used? Mainly web I think, I also made a matching CD install with the video, and I think they might duplicate it.

How much did I get paid for the job? This piece of work was done while working at the multimedia department of a publishing house, I get paid by the hour, regardless of work.

How long did it take? Who knows, at the publishing house I juggle all kinds of work, audio engineering, editing, video multimedia projects, I can hardly remember what I did yesterday.

Some of the icons where given to me along with the red-pill-logo thing. So I had something start with right away.

Nicholas Bartleet June 1st, 2006 11:58 AM

New Pilot Commercial shot on Sony FX1e

Hey guys, just finished a pilot commercial for the revival of "Dunlop Greenflash".

http://www.pixelloft.com/other_work.htm

Shot it on a £100 budget, with the FX1 capturing in HDV interlaced, some theatre Par Cans, and some other bits and pieces.

Workflow:

Shot in HDV 50I mode, with my own 35mm adapter.

Captured and edited in FCP on a G5

Tried a zillion different de-interlacers (yes all of them), and ended up using FCP's native one (throwing away half the res..... never mind) I think it was due to the excessive amount of movement in the frames and the low shutter i had to use.

Put the deinterlaced, and now uncompressed edit into Shake for some careful Colour Correction.

As always... id like any feedback, and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks, Nick

www.pixelloft.com

Jon Glen June 1st, 2006 08:52 PM

looks great dude, like all of your stuff, great look'n stuff

Don Donatello June 2nd, 2006 10:45 AM

what do you mean by "Pilot" commercial ??
is that another word for spec commercial ?

keep up the excellent work !!

Nicholas Bartleet June 2nd, 2006 12:33 PM

Hi Don sorry about that, i do mean spec commercial.

Thanks Jon

Shane Coburn June 3rd, 2006 11:08 AM

My First Commercial

Two weeks ago—much to my surprise—I was offered a job to do a commercial by a guy who had seen my last rollerblading video (I've been doing them for a few years now). The commercial was for a video game event and they wanted a typical game-screenshot sequence with techno and VO. I told him that I wasn't interested in doing that sort of stuff, but if they were open to it, I could come up with a concept that would stand out a little better. I jotted down a quick spec and emailed it to him. Four days later, we got the green light from the company.

Now, with a real pro-gig in hand, I began to sweat. I had a week to script, shoot, and edit the spot, and since I am not too tech savvy (I'm more of the writer/director-type), I came to these boards for help. I'd like to thank Boyd Ostroff, Nate Schmidt, Giroud Francois, David Tames, Glenn Chan, and David Tames for their technical advice. I'm very green to the pro equipment and you guys were a great help. Thanks. Here's the spot:

http://www.mindgame.tv/wsvg_kentucky.mov

Actor: John Schwab
Music by: Scott Harrah and Brett Papa
Graphics: Drew Bachrach
Camera: Sony PD-170
Sound: Sennheiser MKH-416 Shotgun Microphone
Software: FCP 4.5, Nattress 2.5.1

I guess it's going to play in and around Kentucky on the Sci Fi Network, Comedy Central, etc. over the next few weeks.

Bennis Hahn June 3rd, 2006 11:17 PM

That was sick man! Great job!

Dennis Murphy June 3rd, 2006 11:19 PM

I liked the pisstake on the whole Stallone/Van-Damme type genre.

Dennis Murphy June 3rd, 2006 11:24 PM

Loved it - great athleticism, great looking vid, and a head rocking soundtrack.
Nice.
Your own 35mm adapter? Any pics?

Guest June 4th, 2006 12:21 AM

A Cautionary Tale - Student Film

My latest film - shot in 16mm Arriflex, except the third part... on Bolex.

Intro to film class.

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~maslan...and%20High.mov

hope you like it =)
and please tell me what you think.

Many thanks,

Dimitri De Keukelaere June 4th, 2006 06:13 AM

final project highschool

Hey everybody

This is a movie I made for my project. the subject was "expressionistic form in film". It's about the mise en scene in the expressionistic film.

I filmed it with my panasonic gs400. I filmed it in colour and then turned it to black and white in post. I just used 2 desklights with each 100 watt

Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.16plus.be/node/1248 (the link to my movie)

any comments would be helpful. That's the main reason, so I could know what you people find of it so I could learn from it. So any comment is helpful, even if it's bad. thank you

Mike Toledano June 4th, 2006 10:24 AM

The link won't work for me.

Dimitri De Keukelaere June 4th, 2006 10:30 AM

yes the site is temporarely offline. I will post a comment if it's back online

Bill Hamell June 4th, 2006 12:04 PM

I can not get it to play correctly with any player, Quicktime Pro, Real Media, Windows Media or Nero Player, the audio plays fine however the video hangs.
If I scrub through the clip I see scenes that did not play.

Bill

Dimitri De Keukelaere June 4th, 2006 12:26 PM

Tempus fugit

Hey everybody

This is a movie I made for my project. the subject was "expressionistic form in film". It's about the mise en scene in the expressionistic film.

I filmed it with my panasonic gs400. I filmed it in colour and then turned it to black and white in post. I just used 2 desklights with each 100 watt

Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.16plus.be/node/1248 (the link to my movie)

any comments would be helpful. That's the main reason, so I could know what you people find of it so I could learn from it. So any comment is helpful, even if it's bad. thank you
sorry if I posted it twice. the first time the link was unavailable, and i think that many people wouldn't try the link again

Mathieu Ghekiere June 4th, 2006 12:52 PM

Hi Dimi,

Good film!
Story is okay, acting is okay, but what stands out are your images. Sometimes a bit too shaky maybe, but most of them are superb, with especially great lightening!
Slow editing rythm, but it didn't bother me.
Keep up the good work!

Shane Coburn June 4th, 2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
I can not get it to play correctly with any player, Quicktime Pro, Real Media, Windows Media or Nero Player, the audio plays fine however the video hangs.
If I scrub through the clip I see scenes that did not play.

Bill

I've had another person tell me that as well--though the majority of people seem to be able to view it. I just exported a .mov version using Quicktime Compressor (for high speed connections) through FCP. Any suggestions on creating a more viewer-friendly movie?

Dennis Murphy June 4th, 2006 03:21 PM

I enjoyed that. Heavily David Lynch influenced there ie Lost Highway and some of the sound choices.
Interesting lighting... I really liked that plus the black and white was a good choice in my opinion. The house had some interesting shapes and structures for the light to interact with as well.
I thought the hand held shots detracted from the movie, and it was a bit drawn out in places.
Go the GS400!

Cheers,
Dennis.

Dimitri De Keukelaere June 4th, 2006 04:45 PM

the site is back online

Mark Bournes June 5th, 2006 06:27 AM

Loved it, made me laugh. I like the concept, you pulled it off nicely, I think it hits your demo very well.
Mark

John Kron June 5th, 2006 11:19 AM

its all in the writing imo

great job. goes to show that if you have a great plot or script that has something cool to say then your work is much more appreciated.

Shane Coburn June 5th, 2006 03:54 PM

Thanks guys. I'm glad the story is palatable for everyone, and that my desired reactions (laughter, "cool"-endorsement) are resulting. One thing the client was very worried about was veering from traditional "gaming" spots to something a little more hip. They didn't get it at first, but I used Geico's insurance commercials as an analogy, and then they started to come around. However, it was probably the potential for showcasing their sponsors (which happens in every shot) that ultimately sold them. Now I need to purchase some of my own equipment and shoot my feature. Well, maybe a few more commercials first...

Chad Keck June 5th, 2006 04:54 PM

First Video...Brokeback Mountain Trailer Parody

I just wanted to share my first true short video/film/trailer...whatever:

Some friends and I were trying to come up with an idea for a film, and finally decided to make a parody of the Brokeback Mountain trailer. Its all we could come up with at the time. I hope you enjoy it...please comment, and if you have any advice, please let me know.

BROKEBACK SHOWER (83MB)

http://www.keckenterprises.com/files...backshower.mov

Nathan Troutman June 5th, 2006 08:29 PM

Thank you for the "Apt. B" support

Just wanted to say thanks to anyone who checked out the music video "Apt. B" over at IFC Media Lab. We were selected as a winner for the month of May! That means "Apt. B" will air on IFC sometime probably in July. If you haven't checked it out here's the link: http://medialab.ifc.com/film_detail....id=1722&list=1

James OClaire June 6th, 2006 09:40 AM

The link gave me a 404 type error

James OClaire June 6th, 2006 10:15 AM

haha, excellent quality for such a big size and everything!

Wes Coughlin June 6th, 2006 05:29 PM

Watch out for Pond Skimming

North American Pond Skimming championship at Mt. Bachelor, Oregon. Very fun to watch and to participate in.

http://www.wescoughlin.icfstore.com/...o%20iframe.htm

Nathan Troutman June 6th, 2006 09:30 PM

Sorry updated the link

I guess the IFC page changes regularly. The main site address is http://medialab.ifc.com/ Just do a search for Apt. B or select highest rated. We're in the top five or ten.

Mathieu Ghekiere June 7th, 2006 04:32 AM

Show Your Work 2007

Hi,

I posted 2 new films on a site from myself.

The first is just 1 scene from a feature I had written. I filmed it with my XL1s, a year ago, when I was 18. It's in black and white and it's supposed to be a bit of a dark fairytale.
There's a voiceover in Dutch, but he just tells how his father was a professor in an Academy, where he wanted to make his own army with the cloning technology. Then the voice over tells how the father was banned by the other professors and how he took over the city with his clones.
I didn't had any budget or something.
It's a short scene from about 2 minutes:
You can vote on the movie by giving it 5 stars (or less, but 5 would be nice :-D) and you can give a reaction (under 'geef reactie'). Or you can post your comments here in this thread:

www.16plus.be/node/1268

This is another movie I made, it's not only one scene, it's a complete short from 8 minutes. It almost doesn't have any dialogue, so you should be able to comprehend it. I'm not that proud of this film because I made it when I was in the filmacademy, and I had the feeling they unfluenced me. So I decided to quit the filmacademy, and now I'm very busy with my own movies again.
The English title of this short is: 'The Moon died on the beaches at the sea... Maybe she knew everything?'

http://www.16plus.be/node/1318

any comments are welcome...

Nicholas Bartleet June 7th, 2006 05:55 PM

Thanks guys, really glad you liked it. Yep, the 35mm adapter is mine... rebuilding it at the moment... will get some pics online when finished.

Thanks again, Nick

James OClaire June 8th, 2006 02:02 AM

Woah! That looks so cool, I love obscure things like that. It seems like it would be freezing cold though. Did they do anything for people once they got wet? lol

Have you heard of parkour? Nothing to do with this other than an obscure sport. It's like doing tricks and spins on poles or walls. It's like street gymnastics.

James OClaire June 8th, 2006 08:55 AM

link dead? You have a mirror?

Andrew Todd June 8th, 2006 01:04 PM

taken offline

Wes Coughlin June 8th, 2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James OClaire
Woah! That looks so cool, I love obscure things like that. It seems like it would be freezing cold though. Did they do anything for people once they got wet? lol

You get a complementary towel from the mountain when you sign up, but its best to bring an extra set of clothes :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by James OClaire
Have you heard of parkour? Nothing to do with this other than an obscure sport. It's like doing tricks and spins on poles or walls. It's like street gymnastics.

Have never heard of the sport parkour, but sounds intresting. Pond Skimming is about having fun and bieng stupid on the last day of the ski season, so I wouldnt really consider it a sport, lol. thanks enjoying the video, i'll google parkour and see what comes up.