DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/54679-show-your-work-2006-a.html)

Andrew Todd June 26th, 2006 08:09 AM

looks awesome.. i wish i knew how to do that. what programs do you use for the vfx?

Justin Tomchuk June 26th, 2006 09:42 AM

Carl ~ Short Film

Okay, let me introduce myself. My name is Justin; I have been creating short videos as a hobby for about 8 years. I am somewhat disappointed with Carl, my short film. I guess it was because I was working with people who think one cut is good enough. The film doesn't really make much sense and was butchered into 5 minutes because of a short film festival time limit. I know for sure that for now on, if I know something is wrong, I will make it right, such as re-filming scenes.

I bought a new consumer camera, a DCR-DVD-403. I couldn't afford a pro camera. (Although it is a very nice camera, it can be fully manual and it is customizable.) This is the first short film I made with it. So, I had not really figured everything out. This was a film that I learned a hell of a lot from.

So anyways, if you would like to take a look at it and give some pointers I would really appreciate it. There are some animations on my site if you want a take a look at them as well.

Link to Carl:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AV9S-CrgfRY

Link to Website:
http://users.eastlink.ca/~jtomchuk/index.html

Thanks,
Justin

Matt Vanecek June 26th, 2006 09:51 AM

Lookin' for feedback...

Ok, first posting of something I've shot-n-edited....

I've been videotaping certain cultural dance events for a few years now. Considering the relative (extreme) lack of quality in the videos typically produced of show events, I find it very hard to get quality feedback (everybody raves about my cuts....which should be an indication of the level of their expectations...).

Anyhow, this is my first cut at a two-camera setup. I was on the master camera (FX1--SD), and my wife (bless her heart! with no practice) was on the 2nd camera (GL2). I'm looking for feedback on the camera work and editing cuts--I want the finished product to be as professional as I can get it. The audio has not been edited yet!!.

This clip is an Egyptian guest performing a Nubian folkloric dance. It's mpg, 320x240 @ 31MB, 4:16 long.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0t4mo/bahaia.htm

I appreciate any constructive feedback on the camera work and/or editing. It's been through the Color Corrector in PPro 1.5, to make the two cameras color match (more or less--I *did* white balance both cameras together...*sigh*). I found the FX1 colors to be quite saturate, and had to tone those down and bring up the GL2 colors a bit.

Thanks,
Matt

Glenn Chan June 26th, 2006 10:40 AM

It looks fine. If it's a dance performance, the people are generally looking at the video because of the dancing.... not your editing or production values. In my opinion, the most important things for a stage performance are:

A- The content / performance itself. As a baseline, you should convey this without losing important information or detracting from the performance. Excessive cutting or cropping off the feet while the performer is dancing can do this. It's good that you did neither.
B- Good stage lighting can enhance the mood and feel of the piece. Cirque du Soleil would be a good example of this. That isn't quite your department though... and it would be way too much to ask for (Cirque's lighting grid must be insane).
C- There are some jib / dolly camera moves that can add a little to the production values. But I don't think this would be reasonable to expect!

Suggestions:
A- You can shoot some b-roll of the audience reacting if you need to cover stuff up. Because you can throw this in out of sequence, it can look like you have more cameras than you actually do.
B- You can put little interview bits with the performers that either:
Gives a sense of their (life) story, so you're cheering for them. i.e. American Idol. Or...
A sort of Coles notes about what to look for in the dancing. Or it could be some interesting things about the dance itself. If you could throw in some information like this, it could make the dancing more interesting to watch.
C- You could throw in a lower third title about the performance details. There are ways to make the title look slick and polished... just watch the titles on TV and see what you like. Sometimes a simple, clean design can be highly effective too. Look at print graphic design work for some ideas maybe.
D- You could do a little bit of color correction to add a little life to the colors. A place to start would be to add a s-shaped curve to the RGB curve in the color corrector in Ppro.

Little nitpick items:
The camera moves on one of the cameras (the one that was zoomed closer) could've been smoother. It's a matter of skill/experience and having a good tripod.

I found it slightly weird that the camera angles were 'unbalanced'... you see one angle from the left, but there is no angle from the right. This just might be me though.
If you shoot head-on, you can have another problem where you get jump cuts if the difference between the two angles isn't enough.

Denis Danatzko June 26th, 2006 11:31 AM

Not an expert opinion, by any means.

I think anyone who posts their work here and invites criticism is brave...but we'll never know what we're doing "wrong" if no one ever tells us. So, BRAVO for asking.

My impressions:

A moving subject like that is certainly tough to shoot.

Just my opinion (and I'm certainly not an expert): you made decent use of the 2nd camera, but I think you could have made better use of it. Since the master cam was basically a straight-on shot and required little or no attendance after you chose your settings, perhaps YOU should have manned the 2nd cam while your wife attended the 1st cam. Maybe using a few shots from the thighs or waist up, (e.g. an occasional CU from mid-vest up), on the 2nd cam to get the striking colors. An occasional CU (chest-to-head) at 45 degrees to left of center cam might have provided the hand/arm movement, more detail of the dancers attire, and maybe even a smile or 2. While I can see there is a pattern in the dancers attire, I was not able to make anything out of it. Is the pattern somehow integral to the dance?

Did you consider starting close-up, i.e. filling the frame from head-to-toe for just a second, then a quick zoom-out to cover the entire stage once the musci started?

The cuts are pretty good, but there was a tiny bit of zoom-in midway through from the straight-on cam. I'd try avoiding that in the future.

Was there a rehearsal? If so, were you able to attend to get a sense of what to expect?

Food for thought...but don't feel you have to taste it :)

Matt Vanecek June 26th, 2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Little nitpick items:
The camera moves on one of the cameras (the one that was zoomed closer) could've been smoother. It's a matter of skill/experience and having a good tripod.

I found it slightly weird that the camera angles were 'unbalanced'... you see one angle from the left, but there is no angle from the right. This just might be me though.
If you shoot head-on, you can have another problem where you get jump cuts if the difference between the two angles isn't enough.

Glenn,
We had mono-pod on camera 2. We didn't really have time to get my "operator" a lot of practice before the show, but definitely next time she will be well-versed (if I can't find a second operator). I didn't really want to use a tripod (or a monopod, for that matter) because I had wanted to get certain moves and shots (pedestals, CUs of certain moves, etc.). Unfortunately, there was also the live audience to consider--we couldn't have camera 2 moving from stage right to left or vice versa during the show, in front of the audience. Otherwise, there would have been more variety in Camera 2 (no $ for a camera 3. :( ).

The point about the color correction is very good--I should have remembered the S curve. Titles are on the way, but only for the first 20 seconds of the dance--I really try to keep things simple and, to your point, emphasize the performer over "neat video tricks". The rest of your advice I will store away for future activities, because it's very good input.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Vanecek June 26th, 2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko
Since the master cam was basically a straight-on shot and required little or no attendance after you chose your settings, perhaps YOU should have manned the 2nd cam while your wife attended the 1st cam.

Dennis,
Thanks for the feedback. It's still an open question who's the boss here--she really didn't want to be perched atop a ladder working the master cam (my tripod/head gets up to 10', and I use it all to minimize front-row head-shots). I tried...

Your points are all well-taken, especially about CUs. There was no rehearsal--this is a get-it-or-not-the-first-time thing.

The outfit was "native", but the pattern wasn't integral. It's clearer on the full-size version, I believe. I don't know that it comes across in the video (speaking of CUs for smiles/facial expression), but the performer was suffering from a pretty bad back injury. He actually did 3 numbers that night (the show must go on!), and very well, too! Some of the other performers got some tighter footage.

One thing I was looking to cut on (in general, and not specifically this clip) was zoom-ins/outs, when they occurred at opportune moments (e.g., cutting from full front to camera 2 zooming in on detailed midriff or upper body movement, etc.). Do you find that such cuts affect the flow or disrupt the viewing experience?

Generally, I'm looking to make cuts or dissolves on motion, or on sudden changes (direction, tempo, the temporary pause), if I have good footage.

Thanks,
Matt

Dennis Khaye June 26th, 2006 01:23 PM

Welcome to the DVi Justin. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Learning by doing it one of the best ways to learn. Keep 'doing' and you will develop a style that is uniquely yours. There are a myriad of things you need to buy and learn in order to make really clean looking video. All the information is, thankfully, linked from or contained right here on this site. If this is just a hobby then you may want to stick to the run and gun style you have right now.

Make more movies. Keep them in the YouTube ten minute range and keep posting them. The more you make, the more you learn.

As for this video, you already stated some really big problems that need to be addressed. I think being a director takes a lot more diplomacy than most people realize. You should sit down with your cast and crew and tell them how things are going to be. Make sure everyone is making the same picture.

Doing more than one take is a given but you should also do "coverage". That is make sure you've covered the whole scene from different angles. This gives you much better flexibility in post.

My experience, once the camera is placed, 3-9 takes. I've had them go up to 27 takes to get it right.

Shoot a master shot from two or three visually interesting angles.

Shoot your two-fers, three-fers, and more-fers for the whole scene.

Get in closer, shoot your medium and close-ups, the over the shoulder or off the hip stuff for the same scene.

Then shoot some isolations, a nervous foot, fingers picking at a button, a spinning m&m, something that shows emotion that you can insert when you edit to cover something else. To keep it short and the energy high, figure on one isolation per scene.

At minimum, for two cast members, 12 takes per scene. Actors hit their stride at different times and this can vary from day to day. It's just something you have to learn about each actor.

The other thing I would tell you is be prepared to get reamed. Especially on YouTube. When people are allowed to hide behind anonymity they can be excruciatingly cruel. You have to thicken your skin against people like this. Trust that this is a hobby you enjoy and that you are getting better with each thing you do.

When it stops being fun, maybe that's a hint to quit. Otherwise, get out there and do it some more.

You jump from the cool liquid opening shot to a close up of rubber gloves and and magnets. Then a really quick jump back. This would be less jarring if you dollied back into your master shot. This happens a lot though. Your cuts are really hard and they jump in elevation quite a bit.

When he changes from playing with candy back to the magnets, you jump cut a whole 180 laterally and you drop from 6 foot to coffee table level. Having one of those isolation shots in between them would have made for an easier transition.

Would have been funny to watch this guy using the spray bottle as the narrator speaks of it and all we see is two guys walking which isn't all that visually interesting.

You know the jump from him crying to the messed up DVD's is bad. We're still in a flashback and the scene is way too dark. The worst thing about this scene is you crossing the 180 line indiscriminately. Especially since you don't give us a master shot. The whole scene is visually confusing.

Back to live action and one guy throws his spray bottle, we watch it go then cut to a two-fer and the OCD guy isn't flipping out or anything, he just sees a garden. This kind of killed the flow for me.

I never did understand why it was so bad for Carl to weed a garden? You never set this up so it seems really odd here.

You also never set up the Clean Breeze company so it really comes out of left field. The fact that you needed a card inserted with exposition on it should be your first clue that something is wrong story wise.

Out of all the things you need to work on, I'd say sound is something you should fix first. Learn how to do it well and it will help a lot.

I wish you good luck and lots of fun for the future.

Bill Mecca June 26th, 2006 02:30 PM

Trailer Lost Towns of the Pine Barrens

Click Here

feedback welcome

Justin Tomchuk June 26th, 2006 03:17 PM

Thanks Dennis, I learned a lot from that post. I really appreciate your time in writing it.

When I was filming this, I never even thought about how the cuts are going to look like one after the other. When I was editing it, I couldn't really piece the short film together, it was really a mess and the only way I thought I could wrap it up was with a card. Thankfully, these and all of the other issues I will address when I make something new.

Thanks again,
Justin

Boyd Ostroff June 26th, 2006 04:02 PM

Hey Bill - greetings from a resident of the Pine Barrens (I live out in the woods on the edge of a state forest).

As far as the trailer, I personally didn't find it compelling since it mostly shows walking feet and trees. Then at the very end you very quickly show a montage of shots from (off the top of my head from a quick watching) Brooksbrae, Quaker Bridge, Atsion, etc. Seems that if you want to get people interested in buying your DVD you should include some real content from it that would introduce these places and whet the viewer's appetite. But of course my perspective is that of someone who is already very familiar with these lost towns....

At any rate, good luck with the project!

Dmitry Yun June 26th, 2006 09:42 PM

man looking at that makes me cringe at the amount of work you must have spent rotoscoping the mattes on the harbor recreation. :P Big ups to you looks great.

Good luck.

Scott Welch June 27th, 2006 10:25 AM

"Clicker" a 'Click' movie parody

http://media.putfile.com/clicker-68

All improv, I didn't even really think I was going to put it together really... Especially the music, I just dropped it on the timeline and let it go and gave it an abrupt stop, lol.

Richard Thomas June 27th, 2006 02:34 PM

Film Screening Ideas Input (NYC)

Hello All,
Working on the completition of my 4th Film, and Im looking to do things more special this time with the screening. So im looking for advice in this area, basically money is the issue there is almost none to work with, but I have been told a view ideas, just looking for some that have done screenings before with almost no money. My goal here is to mainly get some notice with it, but mainly so the cast and all can get to see their work. Im based in NYC so i have heard some ideas about "two boots theater" also "the Den" which is under two boots, so i am looking for advice from anyone that has screened in NYC and a idea of cost if possible. Thanks

Also heres a clip from my last Project SOLACE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfsmJiGjbVM

and another clip from SOLACE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPbX9CVW7pQ

Michael Wisniewski June 27th, 2006 02:58 PM

Check out Dekk in Tribeca. You could also contact the organizers of the Tuesday night screening, I screened a short there, they were mostly interested in the participants buying food & drinks.

Richard Thomas June 27th, 2006 02:59 PM

Screening

A ballpark figure of what it ran you?? Also were they able to play froma DVD source, sorry 4 all the questions

Michael Wisniewski June 27th, 2006 03:10 PM

For the Tuesday night screening, they just want the audience to buy food & drinks. The screening room is a lounge/dining room in the back. The organizers will pre-screen your film before hand, to say yea or nay.

They accept DVDs. Not sure what other connections/formats they can play.

Dennis Khaye June 27th, 2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

when I make something new
I'm glad to hear it. Same thing happend to my first five minute contest. I wrote an 8 minute script. It didn't make any sense and it sounded bad. Trust me when I say you are not alone with the mistakes you made. Just something you've got to get through. The good ones do, the lamers don't. Let me know if you ever need any help.

Ernesto Llano June 27th, 2006 05:02 PM

Chess Masters - Short parody music video

One of my latest DV creations. Please share any suggestions/criticism.

http://www.buttlesschaps.com/chess_final.mov

Thanks,

Ernesto.

Jon Glen June 27th, 2006 06:51 PM

that was easily one of the most painful pieces that i've ever heard/seen, that song just killed me, maybe if the song was better it would'nt over shadow the images.

Ernesto Llano June 27th, 2006 06:59 PM

Hahaha, thanks for the response. We made this video in a single day, the beat was made using FruityLoops, which we are not very handy with, as you can see.

I'm glad you liked, or at least didn't hate, the actual video/images. This was a for-fun project in our high school class shot with a $200 DV camera, so I wasn't expecting much out of it.

Jon Glen June 27th, 2006 08:54 PM

well that's totally the thing, the music just.....well i was pretty clear before ;)

but some of the images were pretty good, keep at it........well video, maybe not writing music! haha

Austin R. Hartman June 28th, 2006 02:06 AM

check my work out here...

some of it anyways.

http://web.mac.com/arhartman

tell me what you think.

cheers
austin

Dennis Khaye June 28th, 2006 06:18 AM

Is it my computer or does "Wake the Dead" just kind of end suddenly?

Dialog audio for the exteriors had issues. What mic did you use? The guy playing the boss was awesome. I think anybody who handles a pizza like that deserves to lose their turf. Kung Fu camera operator got my biggest laugh. Nice concept and pretty good story. Very nice job.

Dennis Khaye June 28th, 2006 06:41 AM

I think if you watch some rap videos, when the rapper is spitting his flow, the camera angle is usually below his eye level to give him and what he's saying a more dominating feeling. When we see the chess pieces getting clobbered, that should be board level or below too. The first rapper/chess player scene at one point turns all red. Unless you use it more it really sticks out like a sore thumb. Like it's for some other video. Same thing with the very next scene, he's all fuzzy/fogged over. Both of these shots look like they came from another video or the editor couldn't help but showcase his new found bag of post tricks. Either way it doesn't work very well IMHO. A video should have a 'look' and any deviation from that tears away from it.

Some pretty good shots though I would have taken a different approach. Imagine every time you do a shot of the first rapper, he's moving from left to right. Everytime we see the second (preppy?) rapper, he's moving from right to left. Then when they meet at the chessboard, it makes visual sense that the whole thing has led to his moment, this climax when they come head to head for the first time.

Learn by doing so keep it up.

Austin R. Hartman June 28th, 2006 10:04 AM

many thanks for your feedback.
We used a boomed mic for the roof, but there was this big generator up there. And that made this fairly difficult.
And yes, Wake the Dead does end quickly, but that was a bit out of my control. Take that one up with the band
Thanks again.
Austin R. Hartman

Bob Zimmerman June 28th, 2006 10:59 AM

I liked Surf For Turf.

Kyle Fasanella June 28th, 2006 12:08 PM

My new HD Video Blog. San Francisco.

Hey guys I just finished encoding my new blog that I created while at a conference in San Francisco. It has a lot of shots from around the city and my peers. Also is some of the speakers overlapping the visuals.

I’m looking for criticism that I can improve upon. I need really intelligent criticism. Most my friends are not film people and just kiss my ass and say its GREAT! I don’t really need that. Please leave your thoughts. On my site be even better than here. Thanks for watching I think you will enjoy it.

Here is a direct link to High quality
http://www.vilekyle.com/videos/Video...lla%20High.wmv

Here a link for all qualities like HD and low quality.
http://www.vilekyle.com/Vid%20Blogs/...%202/index.htm

Kyle Fasanella

PS if you like this video you may also want to check out lasts years trip at bottom of page.

Rafael Lopes June 29th, 2006 05:13 AM

Looks amazing! Veru film-like! Did you use a polarizer filter directly on the camera? What were the camera settings?

Murray Robinson June 29th, 2006 08:02 AM

My first music video and post

Salutations everyone. This is my first post on this community, but I have been browsing here for quite sometime. Anyway, I'd like to get some comments on my first music video. It was shot on a no budget with a Sony DCR TRV19 during the weekend of Aprill 22 & 23.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLV6vNVRm4&search=gnosh

Please tell me what you all think.

And if you like the band: http://www.gnosh.ca

Kyle Fasanella June 29th, 2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Looks amazing! Veru film-like! Did you use a polarizer filter directly on the camera? What were the camera settings?

i used cinaframe and added contrast in premiere pro

Rafael Lopes June 29th, 2006 08:33 AM

Only cinetone and contrast?! That's it?! Man, I always do that with my FX1 and it doesn't look like that at all. Your colors are so saturated and you don't have that harsh video look. Frankly, I've seen a lot of FX1/Z1 footage and yours is among the most film-looking. Level with us, Kyle. Share the love, brother. What's your secret potion?

Brian Standing June 29th, 2006 09:09 AM

Two Online Docs

I just posted a couple of new projects on my website.

1. Psalm 5: Nicaraguan poet and Sandinista revolutionary Ernesto Cardenal reads his rewrite of the Old Testament Psalm.
http://www.prolefeedstudios.com/cata...m5/psalm5.html

2. Why Are You Here?
An experiment in an interactive, online mini-documentary on the May Day immigrant rights protests.
http://www.prolefeedstudios.com/cata...ay/mayday.html

Nothing fancy editing-wise, but I thought it might be of interest. Comments welcome.

Justin Tomchuk June 29th, 2006 10:00 AM

Yes, this does look very nice for video. Nice editing skills and there are some great shots. I admit though, it got dull about half way through. You need something more to captivate out attention other than editing and the picture quality, the content. The one liners were obvious and it was stuff we pretty much already know, but I can understand how that isn't your fault.

Kyle Fasanella June 29th, 2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Only cinetone and contrast?! That's it?! Man, I always do that with my FX1 and it doesn't look like that at all. Your colors are so saturated and you don't have that harsh video look. Frankly, I've seen a lot of FX1/Z1 footage and yours is among the most film-looking. Level with us, Kyle. Share the love, brother. What's your secret potion?

well I dont shoot at night or indoors. I cut a lot of the crap out of my videos. you watch about 5% of the footage. that be my guess. also I zoom in all the way for DOF

Murray Robinson June 29th, 2006 10:58 PM

I don't mean to sound kinda pushy, but can somebody give me some response? I would truly appreciate it.

Don Donatello June 30th, 2006 01:58 AM

i liked it ... and i liked that i was surprised at the ending ..
the streaming quality is a bit low so it's difficult to tell but i would have to say the lighting is so-so ..
IMO the light needs to be shaped ( as in you add light to a shot then you need to start taking light away in areas ( shape it - using nets , flags , barn doors, black wrap ) .. again it's a hard to make a call but the light seemed harsh ( could be just the low quality stream, you light try "opal " gel on your lights ? ) .. there's hard light and then harsh light ... i liked the shadows on the walls of the band (members) ..

Eric Emerick June 30th, 2006 09:25 AM

Short Suspense/Horror

Here's a little something that took about 10 days from concept to finished DVD, called Night of the Headsman. I referenced the hospital hallway scene from Exorcist 3, it always scares me. Shot with Canon XL2 and Pro Mist 1/2 filter. Hope you enjoy it. http://web.mac.com/esquared14/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Murray Robinson June 30th, 2006 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't know too much about lighting (this was my first attempt). The indoor stuff was the hardest to light as we were only using flood lights and plain light bulbs in homemade box lights (wooden frames with a metal around the bulb for reflection. We also used a single photo light (can't remember what it was now) The outdoor stuff of the band was lit by a 500W halogen lamp, a 250W halogen, and a 100W flood. Like I said, no budget. How was the editing and cinematography and editing?

Jaadgy Akanni June 30th, 2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray Robinson
Thanks for the reply. I don't know too much about lighting (this was my first attempt). The indoor stuff was the hardest to light as we were only using flood lights and plain light bulbs in homemade box lights (wooden frames with a metal around the bulb for reflection. We also used a single photo light (can't remember what it was now) The outdoor stuff of the band was lit by a 500W halogen lamp, a 250W halogen, and a 100W flood. Like I said, no budget. How was the editing and cinematography and editing?

If this is indeed your first attempt and considering the lack of resources as far as lighting gear, this video is impressive. You're on the right track. I like the way your laid out the story. As far as the music, well, I've already tasted it, swallowed it, digested it and evacuated it---in the '90's! Sorry, I happen to be a music producer too, so i couldn't resist commenting on the music.