Show Your Work 2006 - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #466
Regular Crew

Don't Speak (Film Noir)

Check out my Film Noir short on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RsN0CTTpVo

The audio is a little distorted, but so is YouTube.

It was shot on HD so it is kind of disappointing to see it this small, but it is still one of the most visually appealing videos on YouTube (of course that is not saying very much)

-Kris
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #467
Regular Crew

Very good! I liked it, other than the quiet interrogation room scene. What camera did you use? Nice work.

Thanks,
Luke
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #468
Regular Crew

not bad

couldnt view, my reply was for colin. sorry for the misspost

Last edited by Gregory S. Ouellette; June 20th, 2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #469
Major Player

I wasn't able to access Giuseppe's link, che sfortuna! But i got to see Colin's work. That's some good Shtuff! Colin you're definitely there with your work. The edits have excellent rythm, great exposure, lighting...sweet.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #470
Regular Crew

i dunno theres some pretty high end videos on there.
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #471
Regular Crew

I was just joking. I love YouTube.

It's just that the professional videos are few and far between. If you have any links to any I'd love to see them so I can support them.

YouTube could be a great place for the independent community, but right now it is overrun by cheesy web cam footage.

Oh, and did you watch my video. I’d love your opinion.

Thanks,

Kris
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #472
Trustee

New v5tv.com shows - wrestling arghh!

We have put together a new show on Wrestling. Any input is appreciated.
We are also looking for video music directors that want to get there stuff noticed. If you have rights to a music video that you have directed and want to get shown on a psp, ipod and cell phone - contact us at bionicbuddha.com

Feedback always welcome!
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:04 AM   #473
Major Player

pretty good. What camera did you use? I like some of your shots like when the guy was running down the hallway.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM   #474
Regular Crew

Thanks, we used a Sony FX1. YouTube doesn't really show it off though.
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #475
Major Player

docu-drama

Just thought I'd share a bit from this docudrama i am working on as 2nd unit camera and vfx http://rileyharmon.com/wordpress/?p=53
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #476
New Boot

Have I Arrived?...You Tell Me!

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything on DVINFO. I bought my Canon XL1s from a fellow member, Joseph Benoit.

After a couple jobs, some new equipment, software and accessories, here's my BEST WORK to date:

http://www.adamsonmedia.com/HoanCarol_web.wmv

Constructive feedback is most appreciated from you fellow DV'ers.

Thanks!
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #477
Wrangler

All in all, pretty good stuff. Here are my thoughts.

The oval mask in some of the opening shots is a bit too aggressive. Pull it back out and soften the edges a bit more.

The motion overlay of the rings during the vows kind of says 'cheesy effect'. I would take it out. The background motion effects at the ending montage are much nicer and they don't distract the viewer at that point.

The 'old film look' is another mis-placed effect. It doesn't work because by looking at the rest of the video, you can see that 'this shot' takes place at the same day and time. This would have been a good effect if you were doing a history of the couple and had some childhood VHS video to cut into the story but not for a brief shot in current day. Since the couple are kissing in this shot, a slo-mo would help enhance the romantic moment they are sharing.

A couple pan and tilts were not at steady pace but that's just practice and a much more expensive tripod head. That's why good ones will cost you more than what you paid for the camera. They are fluid dampened and have counterbalance springs that will make those camera moves silky smooth.

All in all, a good job and certainly one that can be made better with a few changes. The basic camera work with shot selection, angle, and exposure are there so you have some good material to edit with.

That's just my opinion and others may dis-agree so don't take it as gospel. I only pointed out those things that distracted me as a viewer.

regards,

-gb-
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #478
Major Player

Four Eyed Monsters Screenings!!!

The multi Award Winning feature film Four Eyed Monsters, is screening as part of indiewire's national screening series Undiscovered Gems!

Please check out the following link to see if your city is on the list, attend the screening and vote!!!

http://foureyedmonsters.com/index.php/screenings

Four Eyed Monsters made its world premiere at the 2005 Slamdance Film Festival, before screening at the 2005 SXSW Film Festival and ultimately winning the Best New Director Award for Arin Crumley and Susan Buice at the 2005 Brooklyn International Film Festival...

indiewire selected Four Eyed Monsters as one of the top ten undistributed features of 2005.

And don't forget to subscribe to the Four Eyed Monsters Video Podcasts using iTunes!!!
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #479
Major Player

Thoughts from someone still learning...

I thought the choice of music was great, though I agree with the film-like sequence maybe being out of place. IMO, it just doesn't fit well.

Good job on capturing the b&g's sense of anticipation.

Other observations: the audio of the vows struck me as ever-so-slightly muffled, though the level of the music behind it was excellent...just right, (though you certainly captured the emotion of the moment).

Bottom line: were the "clients" happy?
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #480
New Boot

Greg,

Very nice feedback. I can definitely use that advice. And yes, looking back at the b&g vows the overlay was a bit overkill. That was actually two 'lower-thirds' in use. I felt if I put just one on the bottom I'd have to put some kind of caption in it. I tried it on the side but the ring would be in the bride's face. You're right I could've done without it.

The old film effect...I see what you mean. Use that sparingly...check!

A fluid head tripod...savin' up for a nice Bogen....check! Thanks a bunch!

Denis,

There's a story on that muffled vows thing. I used Sound Forge to rescue them in hopes to avoid having the b&g say them over in a mic! You shoulda heard it before...whew! But I hear ya on that one. Better mics....check!

Guys,

Thanks a million! I respect the vast pool of experience I've come upon here and will take advantage of it. Bottom line...my clients were VERY pleased! I may make some of the suggested changes with their blessing though.

Later!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work