Show Your Work 2006 - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old June 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #511
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Looks amazing! Veru film-like! Did you use a polarizer filter directly on the camera? What were the camera settings?
i used cinaframe and added contrast in premiere pro
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #512
Trustee

Only cinetone and contrast?! That's it?! Man, I always do that with my FX1 and it doesn't look like that at all. Your colors are so saturated and you don't have that harsh video look. Frankly, I've seen a lot of FX1/Z1 footage and yours is among the most film-looking. Level with us, Kyle. Share the love, brother. What's your secret potion?
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #513
Major Player

Two Online Docs

I just posted a couple of new projects on my website.

1. Psalm 5: Nicaraguan poet and Sandinista revolutionary Ernesto Cardenal reads his rewrite of the Old Testament Psalm.
http://www.prolefeedstudios.com/cata...m5/psalm5.html

2. Why Are You Here?
An experiment in an interactive, online mini-documentary on the May Day immigrant rights protests.
http://www.prolefeedstudios.com/cata...ay/mayday.html

Nothing fancy editing-wise, but I thought it might be of interest. Comments welcome.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #514
Regular Crew

Yes, this does look very nice for video. Nice editing skills and there are some great shots. I admit though, it got dull about half way through. You need something more to captivate out attention other than editing and the picture quality, the content. The one liners were obvious and it was stuff we pretty much already know, but I can understand how that isn't your fault.
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #515
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Only cinetone and contrast?! That's it?! Man, I always do that with my FX1 and it doesn't look like that at all. Your colors are so saturated and you don't have that harsh video look. Frankly, I've seen a lot of FX1/Z1 footage and yours is among the most film-looking. Level with us, Kyle. Share the love, brother. What's your secret potion?
well I dont shoot at night or indoors. I cut a lot of the crap out of my videos. you watch about 5% of the footage. that be my guess. also I zoom in all the way for DOF
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #516
New Boot

I don't mean to sound kinda pushy, but can somebody give me some response? I would truly appreciate it.
Old June 30th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #517
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i liked it ... and i liked that i was surprised at the ending ..
the streaming quality is a bit low so it's difficult to tell but i would have to say the lighting is so-so ..
IMO the light needs to be shaped ( as in you add light to a shot then you need to start taking light away in areas ( shape it - using nets , flags , barn doors, black wrap ) .. again it's a hard to make a call but the light seemed harsh ( could be just the low quality stream, you light try "opal " gel on your lights ? ) .. there's hard light and then harsh light ... i liked the shadows on the walls of the band (members) ..
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #518
Regular Crew

Short Suspense/Horror

Here's a little something that took about 10 days from concept to finished DVD, called Night of the Headsman. I referenced the hospital hallway scene from Exorcist 3, it always scares me. Shot with Canon XL2 and Pro Mist 1/2 filter. Hope you enjoy it. http://web.mac.com/esquared14/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #519
New Boot

Thanks for the reply. I don't know too much about lighting (this was my first attempt). The indoor stuff was the hardest to light as we were only using flood lights and plain light bulbs in homemade box lights (wooden frames with a metal around the bulb for reflection. We also used a single photo light (can't remember what it was now) The outdoor stuff of the band was lit by a 500W halogen lamp, a 250W halogen, and a 100W flood. Like I said, no budget. How was the editing and cinematography and editing?
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #520
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Robinson
Thanks for the reply. I don't know too much about lighting (this was my first attempt). The indoor stuff was the hardest to light as we were only using flood lights and plain light bulbs in homemade box lights (wooden frames with a metal around the bulb for reflection. We also used a single photo light (can't remember what it was now) The outdoor stuff of the band was lit by a 500W halogen lamp, a 250W halogen, and a 100W flood. Like I said, no budget. How was the editing and cinematography and editing?
If this is indeed your first attempt and considering the lack of resources as far as lighting gear, this video is impressive. You're on the right track. I like the way your laid out the story. As far as the music, well, I've already tasted it, swallowed it, digested it and evacuated it---in the '90's! Sorry, I happen to be a music producer too, so i couldn't resist commenting on the music.
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #521
New Boot

Thanks guys, keep them up.
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM   #522
Regular Crew

Movie intro, need some input and suggestions

here is a movie intro I started making, i need some input on it here:

http://communityvideo.aol.com/Playba...ndex=1&page=10
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:29 PM   #523
Regular Crew

Way too long. You really only need 20-30 seconds maximum for this type of project. After the text showed up it was just the police lights for like a minute which I really don't get. The font design and texture for the title 'swat' was corny looking, and the name itself is very generic. I think it's a good concept and I am not sure if you are going to cut it down or whatnot, but those are my opinions.

My best advice would be to keep it simple, it is a great way to start a feature film but unless you really know what you're doing it shouldn't be so elaborate.

Justin
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:45 PM   #524
Inner Circle

Why 3 minutes of music to sustain 25 seconds of visual? Go to another shot about 4 beats after the "T" disappears or end it. Liked the smokey background and the soft focus rooflights, not too keen on the font and colour used for the title graphic. Strongly suggest you reduce the bass substantially in the music - a strong base line is one thing, having all the melody completely lost underneath the bass is something else again.
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:59 PM   #525
Regular Crew

Hi, thanks for your opinions. yea i know it was long, i just didnt get to cut it down when i exported it. all that extra time is gonna have the like director and actors and writer and all that. as for the text what ideas do you have to make it more apealing. thanks again -Nick
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work