Show Your Work 2006 - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old October 7th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #841
Major Player

As you know The thing that really makes a horror work is good lighting and good sound. I thought your lighting was pretty well done and like you said your ADR needs work but the rest of the sound was good.

The only other thing i would say is when you cut back to the girl it's always the same shot, i felt the need for a wide shot or two to show her there all alone but thats no big deal.

if anyone posts a horror i usually take the time to watch it cause its one of the hardest genres to pull off well.

You did a good job well done.

Andy.
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #842
Regular Crew

The lighting scheme and music were very effective but there was something missing in the build up of tension. I can't put my finger on it. It wasn't scary or tense enough. In the context of the movie it probably works but as an isolated scene it's lacking a narrative pull. Good work though. Nicely made. I look forward to seeing the full movie.

On a related matter I have just posted my short Gialloesque (see posts below) on Youtube so please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mljloKf0cL0
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #843
New Boot

Loved yours

Great composition in yours and lighting. I can see what your saying. I hope it is the narrative. I changed the scene recently. I composited the foot prints to appear as he is looking at them. That sort of thing.
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #844
Major Player

Haha! that kite tube is awesome!
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #845
Inner Circle

Help me choose...

Hi,

I'm entering a kind of contest, where they select you on ground if you are a promising filmmaker. You can submit a short (max about 5 minutes) or a trailer. And if I don't have enough time to make a new short, I'm planning to send one of these, but I can't choose! So, I'm looking for opinions.

First one is this, I already posted it in the past, this is the link to the earlier thread with link, it's a finished short:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=tunnels

The second one is a loose scene out of a bigger script I wrote. Again, the voice over is Dutch, but it's a pretty short scene in which a character explains how his father once was a professor of an academy, wanted to make clones and got banned by his fellow-professors because of those ideas, but went one making them any way, and taking over a city with them.
This is the link:

http://www.16plus.be/node/1268

Can someone help me pick!
Any feedback will be apreciated, thanks in advance!
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #846
Regular Crew

I think its going to be hard to say due to the fact it is in a different language. Slow scences without knowing what is going on is easier to dismiss than fast cuts.
I thought the quality of the second one was better (the desk with the illustrations on it was so clear), but the quality could be in how you uploaded and rendered them. I liked the cuts and angles of the second one better, the style and how they blended with the imagry and music.
The first movie seemed to linger to long and the cuts seemed to noticable but that could have been to build tension I could not get without the dialog. The clown seemed to be a metaphor for the man running but I don't know.

Without dialog I would say the second one.
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #847
New Boot

Good ending. Thanks to your music playing during the credits, you could visualize the final confrontation as they walk towards each other, glockin' their guns ready for some bad ass fuggy fuggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I'm betting you made up your own answer in your head as to what you think is next for the characters
They team up instead right, for the big fat kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
and for some crazy reason, it has now been watched and/or downloaded by 10,600 people
If your wondering why people are watching this before they know anything about it, then it could be due to two words in your title, Cat Fight. Guys like seeing women glitchin' out against each other.

Looking forward to the second part Sean. Should be fun to shoot and a whole lot more ambitious. Nice guns by the way.
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #848
Inner Circle

Thanks for the feedback. I know about using copyrighted music, but the site it's posted one, it's allowed because they had it arranged with the goverment here, and for the contest you can send something with unlicensed copyrighted music, but then you have the disadvantage that they can't put it on their website to get feedbacks. Not that they NEED that for their decision, but they CAN look to it for opinions. (yeah it's a 12 page submitting paper with all the rules :-p)

I was MAYBE thinking about dubbing the second film, the black and white scene, because the only language that is spoken is 'f*ck you', so I could dub the voice over (if I have the original editing project somewhere, which I actually doubt). The contest said there couldn't be 'excessive language and violence' in the movies, so I don't know what they exactly mean with excessive.

BTW: Liam, 13 Angels... is indeed one of the best songs of Silver Mt Zion EVER, you just can't stop listening to it!

Best regards,
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #849
New Boot

Yea great song. I remixed it into a collage of sound to make a new track when I was going through my avant garde faze in 2001/2. I'm back on the mentalist beat abuse now.

I was going to offer you if you wanted some free sound design for your film Tunnels when I first posted but then thought I just don't have time since there are so many contests for people like us right now, which is a blessing to make us do something, otherwise I just talk the talk and never get anything done apart from sitting in a room learning software, that's pretty much been my life these past few years in respect to film-making. So staying up all night till 6 am to shoot in a tunnel is exactly what I'm talking about and it's great to see your enthusiasm.

There is a haunting and long, very long tunnel that I have been meaning to shoot in since the summer. It's located here in London close to where Chris Cunningham shot his music video Come To Daddy for Aphex Twin. I can't remember where though but the address and picture is in the magazine Time Out. Lying around here somewhere.

One last Tunnel related snip, Orbital have a great song called Tunnel Vision which I'd love to use for film so I bagsey that too. Avanto.
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #850
Inner Circle

Hi Liam,

how did you know we stayed up so late for shooting in the tunnel?
IT was actualy 5h30 am, and not 6h am, when we wrapped, but still ;-)

Or was it just an assumption?
If it was: right on.
We needed the tunnel to be empty, so shooting at night was our best option when you have no budget. We shot between 21hpm and 5h30 am.

Best regards,
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #851
Wrangler

does anyone have more fun makin' movies than mr. digital revolution himself, sean mchenry?? i think not.

just think, if it had been accepted at sundance, only a coupla hundred folks might have seen it, but thanks to the web, you have a fan base of thousands, dare we say tens of thousands?? congrats, sean. that's pretty cool.
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #852
New Boot

Well I could just say that I translated your written info from the videos webpage into english nadsat or I could tell you the truth, in that - all I see is matrix code, streaming down my laptop screen like one billion bullets raining in all it's gorgeous chaos, flowing in spasms of wild glitch, and watching the splattering morphine voids of colour shine before metamorphosing into new streams of razor-hardwired zeros and ones, violently mutating against each other like viral blood blisters on fire, burning through every firewall and into my very mind. Ping!

Ok I lied again.

I see pandas.
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #853
New Boot

Wow, avant hardy. You got apples, or should I say Anthony has for directing this cat tough tongue subject matter. I see he's directed numerous plays as well, that sounds cool. Looks like a clean shaven production, interesting effects, well done to all those involved and God's peace to all the women's state of mind.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #854
Regular Crew

Rain on Me

Hey all,

Just wrapped up the latest music video shoot. We ran into a lot of problems but in the end, we got the product done.

www.greenbench.tv/videos/Rain.wmv

I'm a little torn over this video, because I love the color correction and the rain but I'm a little mad over the repetitiveness of the video. We had a bunch of storyline scenes lined up, including a church scene, but people kept backing out at the last minute, so the artist and myself decided we would just work with what we have and save for the next video.

Plus, this was done with a $100 budget, so I guess it's okay for that amount of money!

Anyways, we used the DVX100b, a black backdrop, a bunch of tota and pro lights from Lowel.

Feedback is appreciated!
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #855
Inner Circle

Liam, did you delete one of your posts?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work