DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/54679-show-your-work-2006-a.html)

Hugues Wisniewski December 11th, 2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Being a proud owner of the P&S Technik Mini35...

Wow! Cool! That's a very nice rig. Have only seen pictures of it and clips shot with it. The results were outstanding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I can give you soem advice on the lighting. ALWAYS make sure you compensate lighting when you shoot with a adapter, especially with mine, since I lose 2 stops. I rather overlight a scene than underlighting. You can easily lower bright scenes in post, but it is much harder to do the same with too bright of scenes.

Use more powerful lights if you must next time aorund.

Ok, so for this particular kind of shots, which is a pretty simple set up, how exactly would you light this? What kind of light and what power?
We had an Arri Fresnel kit at a time we thought we'd shoot with just the DVX.
The kit was: one 650W, one 300W and two 150W
The M2 came after and it felt like we needed bigger lights
The kit also come with a soft box in which you can put any of the 4 fresnels
Putting a Fresnel inside a soft box feels like loosing tons of light, would you use it?
Thanks for your comments and precious advice

Michael Bernstein December 11th, 2006 11:15 PM

Mmm. Tightly edited, short, to the point, with good-looking footage. I would have loved to know more about the organization, but that perhaps would have been a deeper story than you were looking to tell.

Nice.

What was the music, by the way? It sounds quite familiar.

Michael

Jonathan Robinson December 12th, 2006 01:37 PM

Our film Preparations for a Murder

I would like to get some comments on the film my brother and I are doing. Its called Preparations for a Murder. Thanks!

http://www.myspace.com/robinson_bros

Andrew Clark December 12th, 2006 05:09 PM

Nice shooting Ben.

How did you like the HVX?

Brian Duke December 13th, 2006 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugues Wisniewski
Wow! Cool! That's a very nice rig. Have only seen pictures of it and clips shot with it. The results were outstanding.

Ok, so for this particular kind of shots, which is a pretty simple set up, how exactly would you light this? What kind of light and what power?
We had an Arri Fresnel kit at a time we thought we'd shoot with just the DVX.
The kit was: one 650W, one 300W and two 150W
The M2 came after and it felt like we needed bigger lights
The kit also come with a soft box in which you can put any of the 4 fresnels
Putting a Fresnel inside a soft box feels like loosing tons of light, would you use it?
Thanks for your comments and precious advice

I am not a DP, but I know we use a lot more light than we would have used without the Mini35. You basically light like you would with film. Another advice would be to keep at least a 23" monitor on the shoot. This way you can see what you are actually getting and make any adjustments. I cannot tell you how much value it brings. I wouldn't shoot without it.

Jay Kavi December 13th, 2006 02:13 AM

Loved the lighting. Pretty good acting too. The knock i found was the music, just not my taste.

Jeremy Hughes December 13th, 2006 10:51 AM

Seems like it'll be real interesting. Is this a feature or a short?

Phil Bloom December 14th, 2006 02:45 AM

Homeless Portraits on HVX200/ Brevis 35

http://www.cinevate.com/images/homel...raitssmall.mov

Shot in 720p then downconverted to sd for editing with other footage shot in doco. All shot with available light

Don Donatello December 14th, 2006 07:23 PM

i like it .. want to see more ...
very good use of available light, good framing/shots etc ..
like that we get to look into subjects eyes ...

Adam Barker December 14th, 2006 07:34 PM

A Birthday Video Greeting

Hey everyone:

I just made a surprise video greeting for a friend of mine from Russia who will be celebrating her birthday tomorrow (Friday, December 15th). Please check it out and let me know what you think of it.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/silver...y_Greeting.m4v

LENGTH: 1min53sec
SIZE: 19.9mb
FORMAT: iPod (.m4v)

Thanks and enjoy!
Adam

Andrew Clark December 14th, 2006 08:26 PM

Very nice.

Maybe adding something birthday-ish (i.e.; birthday cake w/a candle on it, etc...).

Good job. What did you use to shoot, edit, etc... with?

Adam Barker December 14th, 2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Clark
Very nice.

Maybe adding something birthday-ish (i.e.; birthday cake w/a candle on it, etc...).

Good job. What did you use to shoot, edit, etc... with?

Thanks, Andrew. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been working on this for the past couple of days. All images and videoclips in this are from 2002-2006. The still images were taken in both The Netherlands and also in Russia (on various different digital cameras...most of them on my Sony DSC-V1, some of them from her Sony DSC-T1, one from a cheap disposable film camera, and a few from her friends in Moscow). The videoclips were all filmed on the camcorder that I had at the time, a Sony DCR-TRV17 MiniDV HandyCam. The first two videoclips that you see (the ones that are side-by-side) were filmed in Manchester, Vermont in September 2002 (the one on the left) and in Moscow, Russia in late October 2003 (the one on the right, and also the one at the very end of the clip).

This video was edited on Final Cut Express HD 3.5, using LiveType for titles and Soundtrack for royalty-free music. This is also the first time I've ever tried experimenting with motion effects (resizing and moving the images all over the place).

Adam

Peter John Ross December 16th, 2006 12:43 AM

JVC HD-110 HDV test

CLICK HERE to see an HD clip from my upcoming educational video series

This is an 18 meg, 1280x720 Windows Media Video 9 download shot with the JVC HD-110 HDV camera, edited in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 with the 15 day free trial of Cineform's ASpectHD codec. There is a great deal of compression to get this as a web download, but it still looks pretty sharp and maintains a lot of picture information.

Dig it.
PJR
www.sonnyboo.com

Chris Knight December 16th, 2006 07:52 AM

Is the footage color corrected?

Peter John Ross December 16th, 2006 10:24 AM

I did not run Magic Bullet or anything, no. I thought it was balanced as is. There's a similar tint to everything.