Music Video I just completed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Music Video I just completed.

Hey guys,

This is my second music video.

Shot on a soundstage at Austin Studios, this will be my last music video to be shot on a stock XL2. I've got a new music video I'm shooting at the end of December with a proper budget, so I'll be switching to the Panasonic SDX900 w/Pro35 adapter, which will be nice.

Anyway, this was a gruesome three day shoot. My brother and I built all the sets ourselves from scratch (walls, props, set dressings, you name it, we did it), and that took us 48 hours straight without sleep. After finishing the sets, we went right into shooting for 15 hours, so basically we began filming extremely tired and I DO believe it affected the overall product (some of the dolly shots look downright horrid to me), but we had no choice as our studio time was restricted to 3 days, and 3 days only (the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie was set to move in the day after)....so all in all, no sleep for three days.

But I digress, this music video was edited in Final Cut Pro 5 with heavy effects placed on the entire video (which caused considerable lag in my harddrive, but it was necessary).

So here's the link to the video(www.suitedproductions.com/jpriceband.html), the band is called J. Price. You can also go to our main webpage at www.suitedproductions.com to check out some of the other stuff I've done (including my first music video).
Jeff Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:03 PM   #2
New Boot

very impressive for 3 days work building and shooting. Just out of curiosity, how long did you spend on the edit? I watched the sample on your site too, and really liked the strobe effect. I'll have to try that. I hope you have more breathing room on your next video.

BTW, there is an end bracket in the URL for your video that shouldn't be.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
New Boot

I liked the video a lot. The look reminded me of Elvis Costello's "So Like Candy" video, only yours is much better.

On a side note, extravagance is misspelled on the front page of the suited website under the music video header thing.
Walker Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice job. What sorts of effects did you use in FCP? Also how much do you charge for something like this?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

Again thanks for the comments!

Bill: Simple color correction in FCP was done in conjunction with effects presets in Eureka! software. As for pricing on a video, it depends on the idea and how much the band or label can offer us. For this video, all the money ($1500) went into the sets and renting lights and track for our dolly. But I've decided to no longer use the XL2 for music video shoots as I really want to get some videos on MTV2 (which is becoming a possibility).

For a video with professional equipment (next video shoot will be an SDX900 with Pro35 adapter and Cooke lenses), minimum price would be about $2000 dollars. But we're just now heading into that price territory. Ourl last two music videos we're under $500.

Walker: Thank you for noticing the typo, I HATE when I see a website that wants to be professional have errors like that. Horrifying! So thank you.
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Man, you guys are workhorses. That's inexpensive!

Keep it up and keep us posted!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Jeff,
When is the Last Call of the Daydreamers coming out? I've been waiting for it!

Glen Chua
www.moonlitefilms.com
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Chua
Hey Jeff,
When is the Last Call of the Daydreamers coming out? I've been waiting for it!

Glen Chua
www.moonlitefilms.com

Hey Glen,

Last Call of the Daydream Believers has been officially canceled sadly. Due to living situations of everyone involved (I'm now in Austin, my actors are spread all over the country at different colleges), it became way too impractical to find days to actually get everyone together and film what was going to be my "high school send-off" short. It sucks since we had only two scenes left to film and some ADR work, but it'll just have to be my notorious "unreleased" film that I can put on a DVD as a special feature 20 years down the line ala M. Night Shylaman.

But after my shedule gets a little less hectic with all these upcoming music videos I've got on my calender, I've got a new short I'd like to make and submit to Sundance, so we'll see how that goes. But thanks for your interest anyway!
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Awesome looking video... the only give-away that it was done for such a small pricetag was all the actors looked the same age. That indy, use your friends, thing we all get to do :)

What kind of lighting do you use? I really like your use of it across your work
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work