DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Finished my 22 minute short film "Red Ribbon". Watch it! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/55849-finished-my-22-minute-short-film-red-ribbon-watch.html)

Marlon Torres December 10th, 2005 12:29 PM

Finished my 22 minute short film "Red Ribbon". Watch it!

hello, im a fairly new student filmmaker (second semester) and i just finished my second short film entitled "Red Ribbon". It's a romantic tragedy. i would love some feedback. mind you, its just my second short film, be nice :) heres the link

http://www.citizencine.com/films/redribbon.htm

thanks again.

ps: shot with XL2 and edited in premiere pro, effects in after effects for those who care :)

Dain Burroughs December 12th, 2005 12:40 PM

Nice flick it kept my attention the whole time. did you use magic bullet for the color.

Tyler Baptist December 12th, 2005 01:33 PM

Really good short. It moved along nicely and looked really good. I really like the use of the music.

Marlon Torres December 12th, 2005 04:23 PM

i only used magic bullet in one scene, the exterior scene where the ribbon exchanges hands, the rest of it was color corrected in premiere pro

Phil Kay December 12th, 2005 05:18 PM

flic

Wow! What a great film. My wife and I just watched it on my ibook in bed and we liked it.....my wife "LOVED" it! Took a while to download,however it was worth it.

Marlon Torres December 12th, 2005 05:31 PM

wow, if i can get one person to love it (other than my mom) than its been all worth it, my only goal for the movie was to improve from my first.

Dial Yoshioka December 12th, 2005 06:53 PM

Wow, I loved the music in your film. It sounds a lot like the
2046 OST at http://global.yesasia.com/jp/PrdDept...music/did-156/

oh, and it also sounds a little like the
In the mood for love OST at http://global.yesasia.com/jp/PrdDept...section-music/

Marlon Torres I can't believe you would stuff your "film" with copyrighted music - straight from Wong Kai-Wai OSTs. I mean, come on, you are basically playing the whole soundtrack throughout. I know you tried to credit it at the ending but it doesn't give you the right to use and distribute it. It's disappointing Marlon.

Marlon Torres December 12th, 2005 07:24 PM

its a student film i did for fun, im not distributing it or submitting it to any festivals and i never claimed that it was my music

Bryon Akerman December 12th, 2005 11:52 PM

Watched it. Loved it.

As for the music.... Didn't bother me. These lovely chaps who get on non-profit student filmmakers for things like this, really need to get out of their editing studios once in a while and remember what it was like to learn the craft and not have EVERYTHING at you fingertips.

Now, if I see this for sale at my localy video store, then shame on you, and i take back my kudos and bravos.

Keep learning, experimenting, and filming. You have a "gift."

Bryon <><

Brian Duke December 13th, 2005 12:27 AM

How did you get the 2:35.1 ascpect (Cinemascope)? Watching it now =)

Marlon Torres December 13th, 2005 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryon Akerman
Watched it. Loved it.

As for the music.... Didn't bother me. These lovely chaps who get on non-profit student filmmakers for things like this, really need to get out of their editing studios once in a while and remember what it was like to learn the craft and not have EVERYTHING at you fingertips.

Now, if I see this for sale at my localy video store, then shame on you, and i take back my kudos and bravos.

Keep learning, experimenting, and filming. You have a "gift."

Bryon <><

thanks byron, that guy really offended me... he made me feel like a dirty criminal or something, i mean... there are countless student films out there with unlicensed music... anyway, thanks for the kind words

Marlon Torres December 13th, 2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
How did you get the 2:35.1 ascpect (Cinemascope)? Watching it now =)

did some algebra on the 856x480 ratio and simply added a letterbox and then cropped it in after effects.

Phil Kay December 13th, 2005 06:33 AM

Don't let it get you down Marlon (hey,MARLON TORRES, you even sound like a famous director!) I use other peoples music all the time,as long as you aren't selling your stuff then you have nothing to worry about. I think the musician would be proud to hear their music in such a great film.

Marlon Torres December 13th, 2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Kay
Don't let it get you down Marlon (hey,MARLON TORRES, you even sound like a famous director!) I use other peoples music all the time,as long as you aren't selling your stuff then you have nothing to worry about. I think the musician would be proud to hear their music in such a great film.

Thanks Phil, I'm over it... I'm actually pretty proud that my movie could actually "disappoint" someone. Any reaction is better than no reaction.

Joshua Provost December 13th, 2005 01:55 PM

Marlon,

I liked the film a lot. I liked the characters, your camera direction, and lighting. I'd say in general it was overly long, just really slow paced. Like most of the film was in slow motion (which I think it was). Also, it's a little offputting to have such a long and elaborate opening credit sequence for such a short film. Better just to get to the point. If this were around 10-12 minutes, it really would have been more effective. Kudos to you for pulling together such an ambitious project, though.

As for using unlicensed music... posting on an Internet discussion board qualifies as "distribution," so technically it was illegal to post it. My rule of thumb if that if the music isn't licensed, don't post it online, even student projects.

As for the thought that any musician would be proud to have his music in the film, I'd say you should really talk to some more musicians. I am one, and I run a record label, and I know for sure we would like to be asked permission first, perhaps compensated a little (your camera wasn't free, why should your music be?), and if we chose not to be involved, to know that you wouldn't use the music without permission.

There's lots of cheap, legal music online. You'd be surprised what you can get for free if you ask for it. And surprised what you can get for $5 over at productiontrax.com, etc.

Josh