$7000 ACTION FEATURE shot in PARIS, SCOTLAND and CALIFRONIA - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Because we have friends in New York, Boston, Italy and Scotland. We don't anyone close enough to handle a free theater situation in Florida... otherwise we'd love to.
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I don't suppose you could swing by Boise, ID? d:-)

Anyways, looks like you learned a lot and had a ton of fun. I envy you.
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #33
Regular Crew

So long as everything is free and no one charges anyone for anything... we'd love to be in Boise!
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #34
Inner Circle

If you are interested, we have a theater that shows a lot of independent films called "The Egyptian". I have no idea what their policies are, so you'd have to check with them.
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #35
Regular Crew

This is in Boise? I'll check it out. We may not be able to make every single one but we'd love to show it, for free, to as many people as are interested.

California has an Egyptian too... though I highly doubt we will get it in there. :-P

High Regards,

Daniel Riser

P.S. If you go to www.treasureofthetemplars.com and click on the film canister you can download the original first five minute opening (it has been recut with new scenes)
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Well, best of luck to you either way!
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Riser
Shot with three Canon XL2s. In post production now. The total budget was under $10,000.

We rented an Arri pro light kit while in Scotland but discovered that none of our locations would support the amount of power needed so we ended up lighting the entire film with two home depot work lights, two cheaper hand held lights and a set of production gels.

Any questions are welcomed.

http://homepage.mac.com/brian_lynn/TOTT/

I did not direct this, this was directed/lit by Jonathan Lawrence. I produced and co-wrote the film. Enjoy!
Looks great man!!! Finally a Indy fan film that doesn't look like a wedding video. Good Luck. BTW, if you need any VFX work on it let me know (http://www.numbrobot.com)

Keep your eye on the prize,

Alex
http://www.whatisbroken.com
http://www.enigmafactory.com
http://www.numbrobot.com (VFX for Indie Films)
Alex J Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Great work Daniel, and very motivating.

The trailer and the first 5 minutes had a different feel to them. The first 5 minutes didn't have the typical (oversharpened?) "video" look - do you think this was due to compression? The first 5 mintues completely suspended my disbelief - though the trailer had moments of that "video" look (I'd like to be able to describe it better) which pulled me out of the moment.

Great work regardless, but I am curious.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #39
Major Player

I've seen this before and think it looks great (Indy is dear to my heart and I'm sure Part 4 will suck)

I think what you have done is wonderful; the money spent =vs= the travel, the friends, the memories and the film school x 1000 is the ultimate benefit.

I doubt Lucas (Ruined Star Wars) or Spielberg will say anything or pursue any legal directions over this.

The only thing I would look into properly is selling DVD's using this content (even under instructional). It's be worth your time to pave that raod properly !

Anyway; great job!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Heres an idea.
(I am not a lawyer.)
Delete any evidence of admitting to copying the copywrited character and put a disclaimer that any resemblence to any charater real or ficticous is purely coincidental.. etc. at the beggining of the film.
Or call it a parody and you may be protected by fair use.

Next time think of an original name and don't waste your time and money on a film that can't go anywhere. Which is a shame, because it looks good.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=149990
Kevin Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:18 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Again, we will never do this again, but, at the same time... we'd do it all over again if we went back in time ;-)

Our next one, a genius idea by Kenneth Gawne, is going to be... in true American words... AWESOME!

Dan
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #42
Major Player

hey Daniel,
in the last few weeks Camera shy (my company) has worked with silly wee films on a pro mo for their feature "the journey" and i was thinking we should all get together for a bit of a scottish filmmakers meeting. we all seem to be on the same tracks. Scotland is ready for a film industry and with our cooperation we all could make one.Just a thought. We could do great things if we all work together, I know that you are in America so obviously you couldn't make it but Ken is in Dundee and I think it might be worth us all meeting.

we have the technology

Andy.

Last edited by Andy Graham; March 25th, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
Andy Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #43
Major Player

Holy crap, 19 years old?

Very impressive for anyone even twice your age. Great job, and you have impeccable manners and humility. Keep up the good work!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Riser
P.S. If you go to www.treasureofthetemplars.com and click on the film canister you can download the original first five minute opening (it has been recut with new scenes)
I can't seem to get it work.
Can you fix it?
I would love to see the first 5 minutes...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #45
Major Player

Matt, I saved it locally. Hit me up on AIM or email and I'll send it to you.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work