Show Your Work 2003 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old March 24th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #136
Regular Crew

Sorry, but if you have a 720x576 clip and resize it to 720x400 i bet you it will look better.

One thing that happens when making images smaller is that they get some blur, but that is easily resolve with sharpen filters.
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #137
RED Code Chef

I thought we were talking about upscaling instead of down. You
shouldn't reduce the quality when downscaling indeed. But you
must use a hiqh-quality resample routine for best results...

Whether it looks "better" when sizes down I don't know. You
start to lose detail and resolution and that is not my definition
of better. If you are after a softer look there are other possibilites.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 24th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #138
Regular Crew

i've heard the pd150 and xl1 rumors as well, and if you watch closely, many of the angles in the cars would have been hard to pull off with a larger cam. =) for the record, one night after watching in a somewhat "altered" state, i emailed jehane and asked what kind of cameras they used. well, i never heard back. =)
Old March 28th, 2003, 02:15 AM   #139
Regular Crew

put up the bachelor party clips with N.E.R.D.s lapdance song running...

that would be funny...hehehe

Old March 30th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #140
Wrangler

Call for scripts

Looking for a Director’s Vehicle focused on character development in a 10 to 15 minute Short. Extreme action stories are not desired and we would prefer to work with a small cast. Think of some of the more intense emotional scenes of classic features worked into a 10 to 15 minute Short with all the attributes of a good story. A story with a beginning, middle and a good ending is required. We would prefer not only a good script, but a script that may be commercially viable within the framework of existing distribution channels for Film Shorts.

This is a chance to have your work performed by professional actors under the direction of a superb Director and reviewed by a major Hollywood Star. The entire reason for this production is to show the Hollywood star the film directing capability of this Director whom the star knows quite well.

The Director is a well-known Broadway and Hollywood actor with 22 films to his credit. He also directs stage productions in the San Francisco Bay Area and is the founding Director of an Actor Training Program located in Northern California.

The production will be located in the San Francisco Bay Area

Pre-Production should start no later than July
Production will take about 2 weeks and start the beginning of September.
Release by December.

The rewards will only be credits on the screen in front of the actor, and possibly a share of the proceeds from distribution of the Short, depending on the nature of the script and the market for the finished property.

Send your synopsis or treatment, no scripts please to:
Mike Rehmus
737 Elmwood Avenue
Vallejo, CA 94591
or fax to 707 642-5783,
or email to mike@byvideo.com
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:01 PM   #141
Major Player

Check Out My Short Horror Flick...

GETAWAY...another weekend with the old battleaxe

WATCH IT NOW ON IFILM!

exact link...
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2458249

or goto
www.GetawayTheMovie.com

Let me know what you think,
ENJOY!
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:08 PM   #142
New Boot

SWEET! Very, very nice.

Things I love:

Lighting - the cabin was wicked lit. Love the 200 blue gels pumping inside and outside for the moonlight. Use of practicals was sweet, the candles, the fire. Shadow lights were sweet, think I saw a green in the kitchen background, some cosmetic rouge or indoor match lighting for mood inside. Pepper lights for reflection on the items in the drawer when Beth goes for the knife. Did catch some double shadows off of "Beth" before the random guys comes for help, but I thought it was moody cool too. Escapee on hilltop, was that day for night?

Sound - very nice. Good sound on location helps. The dialogue sweetening was right on, the mix was great with the radio and phone effects as well as the score. A+ for sound.

Shot composition - Excellent work. The doorknob shot was great, I watched it several times for reflections, only saw "Dave". Through the window match shots as well as double-side action for cuts was from what I consider really good spots. Great stuff.

Editing - This where I would give you the highest marks. When the guy comes for help and Beth runs to the cabin the sequence was just perfect. Flashlight arguement in the living room was great. Dead on sweet editing. I didn't catch a slow spot that you didn't mean to be there. The hesitations, action breaks, everything was just where I would have put it. Really, really nice.

Things I thought were okay:

Subject matter - Seen it before, know what I mean? Yours was kick-ass, but you know, I think with your talent we could see something groundbreaking on the next time out.

Acting, sort of - I thought the acting was fine, but I think the "Beth" character was directed to play the "bitch" too hard. We wanted to hate her as if she was the Wicked Queen in Snow White in the first 30 seconds. By the time she's calling the other guy in the car, it's lights out for this character. "Dave" was shallow, but we believe it, he's an average guy on an average mission to reform or kill his girl. Guys are crazy like that. Women are more conflicted. I wanted to love her and feel bad about the whole thing, not just think, "She deserves whatever she gets, kill her Dave!"

Escapee stepping on ammo - that was a weak shot, I think it would be tighter without it.

I really liked it, great job! If you extended it over a weekend's time it would make a cool feature. You would need deeper subplot, maybe an almost fell back in love thing.

Most memerable moments:

When Dave returns the, "Get out, I'm naked!" line.

"F*#! you, we're broken up!".

Keep up the good work...
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:35 PM   #143
Major Player

re:

Lamce Barton...

thanks for checkin out...you know your lighting...right down to the pepper lights.

The villian on the hill shot was shot at that perfect moment right before it gets totally dark. we were soooo lucky to grab that. that's exactly how it looked, we didn't tweak the colors at all on that shot.

we are hoping to make it into a feature...starting the night before they leave on the road trip. Also going to give more of a background of the killer.

I did the editing, so thanks for all the compliments. If your interested e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll keep you up to date on what happens. We are just finishing up another short called "Dinner for 2".

Please pass my link around, we've already had over 200 views on ifilm in less than 2 weaks (with just message board advertising)...like to keep that going.

thanks again...

mike@absolutemotionny.com

www.GetawayTheMovie.com
Old April 3rd, 2003, 09:08 PM   #144
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,

I'd love to see it...but I don't have RealPlayer (refuse to use it, actually). Any chance you have a Windows or QuickTime version?
Old April 3rd, 2003, 10:32 PM   #145
Major Player

re: John Locke

john...

If I'm not mistaken you can change your prefrences on IFILM to view as a quicktime.movi. take a look.

thanks
MIKE
Old April 4th, 2003, 12:26 AM   #146
Wrangler

With a name like Mike Meyerson, how could you not make a slasher/horror??? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)
Anyway....

I loved it. I'm right on with Lamce's comments.
So the concept is nothing new, but what is these days? It was still really good.

One thing I didn't like was the sound. The voices were a little lost over the radio at the start. Nothing wrong with the sound effects, I just don't think the audio quality was that great, but it might have lost something in rendering for web delivery.

And I wasn't big on the ending. Kind of left me hanging. I wanted to see the guy come out ahead, since the chick was such a biznich.

My question:
What camera did you shoot it on, and what types of filters did you use, if any? Looks like an Ikagami on the Steadicam.
Old April 4th, 2003, 02:28 AM   #147
Regular Crew

Britney Spears Demo shot with XL-1, jib & Steadicam

This video demo is a screen test for this very talented young lady of 14 that looks and dances much like Britney! Although the entire song was shot, this demo is only the first 1.20 of the song. The remaining will be cut soon. The actual complete video will be shot in a couple of months complete with location, sets and effects. This demo was shot with an XL-1, jib and Steadicam. It was cut with Premiere 5.1c RT.

"Stronger"

High Speed 500K

http://161.58.78.36/asx/demo/musicvi...RONGER500K.asx

High Speed 1000K

http://161.58.78.36/asx/demo/musicvi...ONGER1000K.asx
Old April 4th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #148
RED Code Chef

Any chance you'll have that available for download instead of
streaming?

Old April 4th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #149
Regular Crew

Downloadability

Rob,
Are you experiencing trouble viewing or do you not have a high speed connection? Which OS are you using?
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #150
RED Code Chef

I'm having trouble viewing.... but that is common here with
Windows streaming media. I'm behind corporate firewall and such
and cannot always do streaming. I can do most other things,
but not that.

So download would be nice. I'm on windows 2000 professional.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work