Show Your Work 2003 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old April 19th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #181
Outer Circle

Thanks, Victor! I was just about to head to the magazine shop around the corner. I'll see if they have the new one with your article.
Old April 20th, 2003, 05:41 AM   #182
Warden

Thanks for the update Victor.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 21st, 2003, 01:43 AM   #183
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Self-Promotion Tips?

Anyone have any tips for self-promotion? Particularly press releases, film festivals (and preparing festival kits), contacting magazines and web site, etc.?
Old April 21st, 2003, 07:37 AM   #184
Major Player

Make sure your biz cards say what you do on them - give them to anyone and everyone

Print up a tri-fold broucher and hand them out at fesitvals and other gatherings of potential (abreviated version of a demo reel would be nice too - cd maybe)

Pay a few bucks and get one of those website marketing places to submit your website all over

... as for newspapers - you may be able to get them to do a human interest piece anbout local talent or something

Write up a bio and abbreviated resume that can be sent to trade magazines and newspapers.

Buy parkbench advertising... maybe not, but I've always thought that was a cool idea. a little annoying, but folks remember what they see as they pass by

what are you doing now?
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:13 PM   #185
Regular Crew

My contest entry video

Hey guys,

Each year the New England Mountain Bike Assoc. has a night out to celebrate the opening of the riding season.
This year they decided to make the event a Bike video awards night. They had local bikers sent in their videos and they picked a finalist list and played those videos on the night.

Then the videos were judged in 3 catergories. Best Production, Best Riding and Most Entertaining and then the crowd picked their favorite.

Well my entry won for Best Production and I was so excited.
Granted this was more of a fun event and fundraiser to preserve some land and not a real serious award show but it was still a great feeling to win.

So anyways, here is the link to the video
http://www.downfallproductions.com/Movies/743days.wmv

The thing that drives me crazy is this video is about 3 months old and i'm better with AE now than when I made this so there are things i would like to change and improve on but I won't do a george Lucas ;-) i'll leave it as it is.

Hope you guys enjoy some mountain bike action.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 05:38 AM   #186
Major Player

Jim,

It looked great, a question, how did you do the title at the start, the Downfall productions one where it breaks up and flies toward the screen???where there any particular plugins required or anything?

John.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:59 AM   #187
Regular Crew

thanx John,

that effect was doen by Shatter in AE.
I followed this tutorial to learn how to get it to look like that
http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=1
and then I went custom with the settings.
it's an awesome tutorial, a definate read.
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #188
Major Player

Jim,

I liked it.. good pacing for the song and I liked that last sequence after the song ended.

Good stuff.

Did you do that final animated logo shot (the circular logo) in AE as well?
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #189
Regular Crew

thanx Kevin

The logo was created by a friend of mine in photoshop from a picture of a mountain biker crashing and then we put the circular text around the logo.

I then took the logo and made an alpha channel for it in photoshop and then brought it into AE to do the rest.
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:09 PM   #190
Wrangler

Good production. Very entertaining.
THe only weak part I found was the footage itself, the camera angles could have been much better for most of it, but that probably wasn't a concern at the time. I'd like to have seen less shots overall, but more in slower motion to bring out the feeling that these guys are really in the air.
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #191
Regular Crew

thanx alot guys

Dylan:
Yea we kinda knew going in that the footage wasn't top knotch.
The Contest was announced after winter started so we had to run with alot of old footage from the past couple years, Hence the title "743 days of half-assed footage"
Also mountain bikers aren't a patient bunch so sometimes you just gotta pick an angle and go with it, Not much time to eye a shot and plan it.
I don't like over doing it with the Slo-mo. thats atleast my style for now.

Alex:
Yea, i'm very for editing to the music and having the footage flow at the same speed as the music.
Half the footage was shot with a Sony PC5 with a .6x WA on it.
and the other half was shot with my GL2 with the Canon WD-58 on it and a couple shots were shot with a Canon Elura (can't remember the exact model, it's my friends camera that he got a couple years ago.)

I just got a new WA/fish eye for my GL2. It's a .25x lens it's alot of fun but more work than the wd-58. Can't zoom out too far or else you hurt the shot.

I really appreciate you guys liking the video, esspecially since it a 16 meg WMV and looks rather crappy.
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #192
Obstreperous Rex

Just read it -- hooray, the Watchdog gets a plug in Victor's article! Many thanks!!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #193
Major Player

Still going...

Post-Process slowed down considerably because I was cast in some television, a feature, and selected by a director to d.p. a feature. I'm exhausted and need a vacation...

Cheers to All! Soon...real soon...
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:26 AM   #194
Major Player

Hey man, can After Effects be used alongside Vegas 4 or do you have to use Adobe Premier. I ask this because that title in the beginning does rock. It's like movie looking.

Great footage. My favorite stuff is the wrecks. Wish it had more wrecks.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:43 AM   #195
Major Player

Question about After Effects and Vegas???

I've been seeing some really cool effects implemented into videos. If you have a project made with Vegas 4, can you still use After Effects or do you need something else???

AE seems like it's tight if you know how to use it.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work