Show Your Work 2003 - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #226
Regular Crew

How stupid is this idea.

How about a DV film festival? This is my thought. Take a few very expensive ads in magazines and such. Have a very low entry fee. Use the money to cover the costs and a cash prize. I could have the local media people (as well as the auidence) judge the videos and and award winners.

Yeah, I know the money thing could be a problem. Money will always be a problem. If the numbers don't add up, everyone gets their fees back and I look like an idiot, again. I'm comfortable with that.

I need to know, what are DV makers looking for in a film festival. Do they want to get feedback and have a chance for their work to be shown? Or are they looking to get "discovered" and rushed off to Hollywood on a flying carpet. I don't want anyone to think I'm going to give them something I can't.

Anything would be a help.
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #227
High School Student

To me, anywhere, where you can show your work to a bunch of people, would be good enough...I don't think many people are expecting much more...
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #228
Slash Rules!

Nothing stupid about this. This will equalize all the entries, to some degree. No more "wow this looks better than all that other crap, cause it's shot on 16/35mm." I don't know if that happens, but I'm sure it does.
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #229
Wrangler

I like the idea. However, where would the films... er... movies, be shown and showcased? Internet or live?
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:30 AM   #230
Major Player

What catagories are you going to have and who will be the judges? Develop it alittle more and I think we will have something.
I'm all for it.
Rob:D
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:21 PM   #231
Regular Crew

Car Music Video I edited...

I participated in a Auto-X event this past weekend and I decided to bring my GL2 along for the ride. Please right-click and save the target as.... Don't stream the clip as it's a big 45 meg file. Comments are welcomed...

Download Right Here
Right-click, save target as.....!

I know it's a huge file for 3 minutes, but it's about the content, not the file size...

Thanks,
Gilbert Xiong
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:07 PM   #232
Major Player

Even on ADSL I'm not gonna download a full 45MB AVI for the sake of it.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:06 PM   #233
Trustee

Well I did :) and it was entertaining. I bet if you cut out everything except for the faster action bits, and bring it down to about 1 minute, it'd be a lot more fun to watch. Neat footage though.

Made me wanna start hotrodding around in my Jetta...
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:13 PM   #234
High School Student

If you would of encoded with WM9, you could of gotten the same quality, in probably less then half the file size...

Anyway, it was pretty cool. I don't want to start nitpicking, but I will anyway, just for good measure. Some of the shots had the extra-shakey-ness to them, that could be worked on, and I also noticed some handling noise in the audio, other then that it was pretty good.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:07 AM   #235
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : If you would of encoded with WM9, you could of gotten the same quality, in probably less then half the file size...

Anyway, it was pretty cool. I don't want to start nitpicking, but I will anyway, just for good measure. Some of the shots had the extra-shakey-ness to them, that could be worked on, and I also noticed some handling noise in the audio, other then that it was pretty good. -->>>

We used the Studio1 MiniDV Shoulder Brace... But I found that when I was zoomed in 60% then there is no way to stop the shakyness.

Thanks! I'm still a beginner, your comments are appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #236
Wrangler

Why can't I find the trailer?
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #237
Regular Crew

There is a trailer on both sites.

On this iste:

http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=204754

click below the images where it says, "Click here to view preview "

On this site:

http://www.galaxaco.com/hellholehigh/index.html

click on "trailer" on menu bar.

I hope this helps.
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #238
High School Student

Haha dude, that looks pretty cool...If I had $20 right now, i'd buy it....
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #239
Wrangler

It must have been late at night when I looked at it. Don't know why I didn't see it the first time.

Anyway, I just watched the trailer. It does not make me want to buy the movie. The movie looks right up my alley, and I thought about buying it, but the trailer turned me off.
I'd redo the trailer. Instead of showing just flashy scenes, give a little meat of the movie.
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #240
Outer Circle

It looks really good, and it looks really bad. Just what the doctor ordered. I'll force my wife to watch it. I want to send you a US M.O. for a VHS copy. Please post your mailing address here, with total amount I should include ($20 + Shipping to Vancouver Canada). Hey, I'm not kidding. I collect these types of movies for my wife to watch. I also take her for those free "B" movies. It makes her crazy. :)

Besides, a few minutes ago I got outbid for a $30 lens on e-bay---like during the last minute before the auction ended. Oh well....
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work