Show Your Work 2003 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #241
Capt. Quirk

I'm impressed by the cast. Not only is it sizable, but it has Bob Crane's son in one of the roles. One day, I will have to get the DVD...
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #242
Regular Crew

Music Video On The XL1s For MTV2 & MUN2

We just finished a music video for ROCKELL a very well known dance artist.
MTV2 & MUN2 Television is already interested in picking it up. We are looking for opinions from fellow digital filmmakers.
Gotowww.detourrecords.com (Video Page)
And let us know what you think. The are also pictures from the making of the video.

THANKS
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #243
Capt. Quirk

I still really like Yohanny :)~
With that said, I thought it wasn't bad. There were places where it went out of focus. I don't know if it was by design, but I didn't care for that. I'm also pretty sure that the sync problem was from the connection. The only other thing I didn't like much, was that it kept flashing between scenes too much. Overall, it was well composed, and shot.
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #244
Regular Crew

The out of focus was done on purpose I kinda like that. The sync problem is the connection, it happens to me to and I uploaded it :o)
Real Player & Windows Media looks fine though.

THANKS For your input...
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #245
Major Player

Frame Mode or 60i?

Hello all. I have the opportunity (and I'm taking it!) on making a documentary on the construction of a sculpture for the Flight Centennial held at Kitty Hawk. I've asked this question in another topic, but it hasn't been answered, so I thought I'd try here!

I have lights, sound, etc. and I'm shooting with a GL1 and GL2. Should I use 60i or frame mode? I like the look of frame mode, and I don't think I'll transfer to film, but are there any arguments/opinions either way?

Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #246
Wrangler

Would Anyone Like to Look at My Video?

I'm an avid, but strictly amateur, travel videographer. I started making videos of our travels just for my wife, myself, and immediate friends and family, but they have gotten more and more elaborate as time has gone by. Lately, I've been toying with the idea of trying to sell them on the internet, not as travel documentaries per se, but as "samplers" for people who are considering specific destinations and want to get a sense of what it would be like to visit, what they would see and hear, etc.

I've almost finished the "commercial" edit of my video of India (Rajasthan, including Delhi and Agra) -- 11 hours of raw footage that I've edited down to a little over 90 minutes (the "friends and family" version was just under 3 hours -- ouch!). One of the things I'm trying to decide is whether I really need a narration, or whether the video can stand on it's own without one, given my stated goal of trying to convey a "feel" of what it's like to visit, rather than specific information about the destination. Though, in its current state, there's no narration, I've used titling to identify locations and sights, and there's a good amount of music (performed by itinerant musicians and recorded on-site).

I was hoping that, if I burned a few DVDs, some of the good people in this forum might be willing to take a look at the video and give me some feedback, both about the narration issue, and just generally.

The video was shot with a VX2000, mostly using an Optex .65x wide angle adapter. Ambient sound and music were recorded with a Sharp MT-15 minidisc recorder. The video is edited in Premiere 6.5 (with a ProOne), augmented with CoolEdit 3D and SteadyHand. Compositing was done in Premiere, though in the future I'll probably use Commotion Pro -- it's faster and easier. The video may be good, or it may be pure trash -- at this point, I'm far too close to it to evaluate what I've done objectively.

So . . . anyone have 90 minutes to kill who'd like to see some video about India?
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #247
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Paul,

I'd like to see what you've come up with...if you don't mind sending overseas. I'll send you an e-mail with my address.
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #248
Capt. Quirk

Paul- I would enjoy watching your movie... as long as I don't have to download it all in one shot :) Maybe you could cut it down a bit more?
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #249
Regular Crew

Paul, me too. I'll be glad to watch your video and give you feedaback.

Let me know and I'll email you my mailing address.

Old May 28th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #250
Obstreperous Rex

Definitely count me in. Will send you my mailing address. Also, if you'll cut a short trailer for it, I'd be happy to host it online.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #251
Trustee

I'd be very happy to view it. I'm starting to develop an interest in travel video myself.
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:56 AM   #252
RED Code Chef

There are a lof of opinions either way, but generally it boils down
to what you like best. If you it is going to be aired on TV most
people prefer interlaced. Some like the softer look of frame mode.
As said: preferences. I personally like frame mode because of
the look and the more easily I can do frame grabs and image
manipulation without worying about interlacing stuff.

If you want to do slow motion effects most people agree that
interlaced with a high shutter speed is the way to go....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:35 AM   #253
Major Player

I assume you are using an NTSC camera.

If you are going to transfer to film, or want the option, the production houses that I have spoken to have advised me to shoot at 60i. Leave the footage interlaced, edit, when delivered to the production house.

If you are going to television or small scale then shoot in what you prefer.

Hope this helps.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #254
Major Player

Thanks guys. I met with the artist today and shot some test footage in his studio of "Orville" and "Wilbur" in clay - and I shot in frame mode.

His studio is in back of his house (a large metal building) with neon lights, skylights (let's in a lot of natural light) and he has very warm (looking) spotlights mounted on the ceiling that give a WONDERFUL look to the pieces. By using a gold bounce disk, some of the pieces looked great.

I'll post some grabs on my site and provide a link soon. Thanks for the info.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:55 AM   #255
RED Code Chef

Sounds great Mark! Please do post some images, always nice
to see those.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work