Show Your Work 2003 - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #496
Trustee

And on that topic, what should the aspect be for what you stick on the DVD? Just 4x3 matted? Or should it be output as 16x9? What are the standards for digitally projected stuff at festivals?
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #497
Regular Crew

I think all videoprojectors are capable of handling 16:9, even they have a 4:3 matrix, so I would go for 16:9 if you have a 16:9 master.
At least that's what I do.
Old September 25th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #498
Major Player

Alex congrats. I loved your short.
I would send a reply email and ask them directly. Otherwise if it gets in their hands and they cannot deal with it then you might have a problem.
Wish you the best of luck and hope it does well. Will you be entering the film in any other festivals?

Rob
Old September 25th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #499
Major Player

Thanks for your suggestions guys! I picked up some DVD-Rs today.

Robert: I'm glad you liked it! I submitted this film as well as a few others to film festivals a few months ago.. got a rejection from one of them, this is the second I've heard from. So there's still 3 film festivals who I haven't heard back from yet - my fingers are still crossed! One of them is in February so it'll be a while.
Old September 25th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #500
Trustee

"Terminator" Hayabusa motorcycle video

Hi guys,

some of you guys know I'm an airbrush artist / custom cycle painter and enjoy DV purely for fun. I posted a video awhile back showcasing some of the awards and trophies along with the cycles I've painted......I appreciated all the comments you guys threw my way...

...well my shop has sold our "shop" bike which happens to be the fastest production bike in the world, the Suzuki GSX-R1300 Hayabusa...and because it's leaving us forever I made a quick video (with my lowly Panasonic $399 Palmcorder-that's what I had on hand today)...it's a rush job but shows how cool our "Busanator" is- hope you guys like this thing-------it took me about 10 days to create it and paint it.......

http://bronxpowersports.com/cycles/b...busanator.html

Let me know what you guys think.
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #501
Regular Crew

The JTL is a great value for the money, providing a lot of softlight for indoor situations.
As said before the stands are very very good considering this price range.

The first time you setup the kit is source to a lot of questions : do I have to bend that piece of metal ? Do I have to insert that piece into this small hole ?
The mechanical design is pretty weird.
If you want to keep your kit for a while you don't want anybody else to setup and especially disassemble it !

Even when taking care of it I'm still not convinced it will last for very long due to some design flaws like using the velcro to receive the bended metal bars that create the overall structure (cage).

I really like the softlight and believe that kind can also be used for still pictures. I'm now concerned about the backlight and think a fresnel would be a better idea in some cases (there is no universal light or microphone!) so I may extend the kit by adding a fresnel 350W.

So overall impression is you can't beat that price (don't forget it includes the case too and make the whole kit pretty compact).

Dany
Old September 26th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #502
Major Player

You are a very talented Airbrush artist. I'm impressed!
If I ever need a Airbrush artist I know where to turn!
Old September 26th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #503
Major Player

Ken or John or "anybody". More Lady-X openings?

Unfortunately I didn't stumble across the Lady-X info soon enough... I don't think.

As of this summer I finally have most of the equipment I've needed to make professional video and I'm eager to put it to this sort of test. I have a few friends who also have good gear and we do "shorts" together, but I'm ready to lead a project of this nature.

I've got a fantastic crew and some really great actors, as well as a perfect "lady-x"... I guess this one's over for entries, but I hope this post gets me ready early rather then late.

Ken, John, anybody?

BTW Ken, I can't wait to see YOUR Lady-X... I was in Chicago a couple weeks ago and it is the PERFECT city for a short like this. Chicago river... overpasses... Navy Pier... the museum complex... all the foot-bridges and pedestrian tunnels... Man that place is a freakin' film-maker's dream! So what's the fine for getting caught jumping off one of those draw-bridges into the river?
Old September 26th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #504
Tourist

Check Out Short Film Series Trailer

Looking to get some feedback on a re-edit for a short film series trailer entitled The Uninvited. The previous thread for the older trailer located here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=9374

I'm about out of space on the server and could not keep the older trailer online with the newer versions for comparison. Thanks to Shawn for originally starting the thread a while back. I apologize for not responding to the older thread, didn't know it was posted until recently.

You can find the trailer here, with formats in quicktime and windows media.

http://www.theuninvited.net/Uninvited%20Site/video.html

Some Background: Before beginning work on the series, I decided to shoot a trial version and see what would happen before digging in and finalizing the look and feel. This was a volunteer project on the part of cast and crew. Splitting my time between web design on the site and production of the series, it's slow going...but the feedback that everyone has been providing has been invaluable, so please...keep it coming!

Thanks for the feedback on the previous thread and have a look at the updated trailer...let me know what you think.
Old September 26th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #505
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Matt,

All episode slots are taken for this series...and we have quite a list of alternates who have first dibs on any slots that come available. But...we'll be deciding before long whether to have a 2004 series. If we do, keep looking here for information about when to sign up...then jump in there and sign up quickly.

As for jumping off Chicago bridges... I'll leave that answer to Ken "the jumper" Tanaka.
Old September 28th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #506
Major Player

I could only watch the first "box" rather then the one titled "series trailer" so I assume that's the one your wanting feedback on.

I thought it was pretty good. I don't want to take anything away from the video by saying this, but whoever did the motion graphics is first rate. That aspect is so well finished that it puts pressure on the rest of the production.
Old September 28th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #507
Tourist

Thanks for checking it out. Apologies for not specifying which trailer to view, it's the Relentless Trailer, others aren't uploaded yet.

Thank You for the compliment on the motion graphics. So far I've been handling the post and graphics myself, mostly to save on production costs.

I hear you on the production end and keeping it all balanced. I've taken a breather between projects to think over production values and where it all should be. I took on too many roles, lighting and cinematography too...ya live and learn!

Thanks to a patient and understanding crew!
Old September 28th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #508
Trustee

Well the trailer would get me waiting to see the full thing! I'm a sucker for horror/evil/undead etc movies ;)

Nice work.

Cheers
Aaron
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #509
Regular Crew

My first "public" video

It's about 10 minutes, maybe a little dry if you don't like waterfalls and beautiful scenery....
http://www.crimsonbutterfly.com/video/gorges.wmv
Old September 29th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #510
Regular Crew

Panasonic Announces Digital Filmmakers Grant

From the Press Release:

"Quarterly grand prize winners will receive a three-week rental of the AJ-SDX900 camera and Fujinon Broadcast zoom lens, 10 hours of DVCPRO50 videotape, a 10-week rental of an editing package consisting of a Power Mac G5 and Final Cut Pro 4 editing software, and a Panasonic DVCPRO50 VTR with an IEEE1394 Firewire card. Rental value of this equipment package is more than $17,000."

Only open to US Residents...

Link to the application

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work