Show Your Work 2003 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 4th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #586
Major Player

Kadir,

Excellent! Thanks for letting me take a look at your work.

I am working in the same capacity, it sounds like, using the stock lens and the added feature of a matte box.

I enjoyed your frame composition. Did you shoot in frame or standard PAL?

Looks like you aren't afraid of getting a little dirty to get the best frame.

Cheers!

Derrick
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #587
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Zac Stein : yeah it stops abrubtly, just the way i did it, kinda like someone quickly had to stop the projector or the film would run off.
Zac -->>>

Ahh, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything!

Again, nice job. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future.
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #588
Trustee

Kadir,

Great work. I'm curious to know what post effects were used on your Photogirl.avi.

It almost looks like some small posterization, but I'm not sure.

Regardless I really like the look in your videos!

Dennis,.
www.starcentral.ca
Toronto, Canada
Old November 4th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #589
Trustee

Hey, pretty cool stuff. You must live by me...snow. :(

Hey, just one thing...drop the music volume sometimes and let's here on-set audio or some foley sounds. The music works, but not so much...let's here some audio!

Chris
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #590
Regular Crew

Needed - Christmas/Nativity Footage

This is unbelievable! Who would think it would be so hard to find the typical Christmas Nativity type of footage. Even a church live nativity scene would be of some help.

How about it, anyone got any of this stuff?

John
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #591
Regular Crew

thanks for the input, i agree now that i watch it again, and no i dont live near you, im in utah, the snow must be all over! anyway, i gotta get back to work, thanks for the input again
http://www.secondsection.com
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #592
Regular Crew

My new video

This is my newest video which i shot last weekend. It's an ongoing project that i'm shooting once a month for a singer/songwriter's website. here's the link:
http://www.terraform.tv/videogallery.../dotm_oct.html

Tech info:

camera: gl1&gl2
lights: 2- 500watt home depot worklights
1- flouresant 2 light fixture with kino bulbs.
Old November 5th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #593
Regular Crew

its very uhm, er.... interesting. No, truthfully i liked it, the camera work i thought fit the "mood" very well. My favorite shot had to have been the one from up top. Now i hope you dont mind me asking, but all of that first part, the black and white, old film look, what did you use to achieve that? was it a filter, or manual, or a little of both?
http://www.secondsection.com
Old November 5th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #594
Major Player

I had a drink like that in the Virgin Islands. They called it a "yellow bird." Yet, it didn't produce the same effects? Almost, but not quite. Nice work though!
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #595
Major Player

Hey Corey,
I'm a big fan of your DOTM July '03 - I've probably seen it 30 times :). I've also been very impressed by your film-look projects. The beginning of "44 Magnum" was very Wonder Years-ish. The blue tinted "Film-look" showed influence from old black-and-white films that used colors to define times of the day (Nosferatu comes to mind). And now, the spooky horror flick look worked perfectly with the halloween theme of DOTM October '03. One thing I did notice, however, is that this movie didn't rely on music and beats as much as the others. The beginning worked perfectly with the classic horror/mad scientist music, and of course the slasher genre "ree-ree-ree" went great with the special guest scene. I love the reveal from behind the smoking skull and the low to high angle cuts that give it a multiple personality feel. However, the drink mixing did go a bit slow. One way to break up scenes that are visually repetitive like that is with a larger variety of angles/shots or maybe a couple short music/sound effects breaks. That will help keep the pace up, which in turn keeps a stronger hold on the viewer's interest.

I'm hoping that, like myself, you feed off constructive criticism and don't think I'm some kind of jerk. Overall, I really like your work and would love to read your input once I get my website up and running. We'll see how that goes.

p.s. Shiloh is a hoot... her evil twin that is.
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #596
Tourist

WOW!!! Awesome trailer.

Although, all things were pointing me to purchase a dvx100, the XL1s with the $500 rebate was causing a bit of hesitation. After seeing your footage, and the low light shots of the honda driving through the streets, I'm so impressed!!!

Did you do much color correction in post? What encoder/bitrate did you use for the trailer?

AWESOME JOB!. Do post more on your site when you get a chance.

Randy
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #597
Wrangler

Nice underground shots, is that Metrotown?
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #598
Major Player

I think it's a bit too squished... but DAMN that looks good otherwise! I love that POV shot where you mounted it on the back of the car high-up. Great stuff!

Just need to show more Vancouver landmarks so we can all indulge ourselves ;)
Old November 6th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #599
Regular Crew

The honda stuff was shot in Metrotown area... undergroundparking lot shot at UBC...

i tryed posting a new version of the car trailer... less squished!

"Did you do much color correction in post? What encoder/bitrate did you use for the trailer?"

hardly any color correction at all... ive used this MPEG incoder called "TMPEG." However its seems to squish my video a little to much in the 320x240 setting... im still trying to work it out. eh!
Old November 6th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #600
New Boot

Thank you guys!

Thank you for your motivating toughts!
How I achieved the look?
THE SECRET REVEALED!!!
Apply these efects to your videos and see the transformation yourselves!
Using adobe premiere 6 or 6.5

4 efects only!!! Apply them in the same order!

1.Contrast increase by 25%-35% Brightness decrease by 10%-15%
2.Tint apply 45% (with the color white selected)
3.Noise (color noise turned off) 7%
4.Clip 15%-20% (from top and bottom)

Thats it... I know you think "there is no magic recipe for the film look! Its imposible!".. I agree but with this recipe you can get very close!!! You WILL LOSE SOME DETAILS IN THE PICTURE... But you must have a good contrast in the image to get the FEEL of the film!

Another very important point!!!
While shooting always go as far as possible from the subject!!! And always zoom as much as you can!!! Always use LONG SHOTS!!! Never ever get close to your subject... Never!!!

if you do these you get the look in my website.. I am not claiming they are a miracle but I heard lots of DV people telling me they are pretty good...

My website is www.kkymn.8m.com again. I hope you try and give me your feedback on this recipe.

Cheers!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work