Show Your Work 2003 - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 27th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #631
New Boot

James,
Thanks! I will definitely heed your advice and I totally agree with you on the respect for victims etc. Your technical and composition advice is very helpful. Checked out your site and our programs have a lot of similarities. Hope ours turns out as good!
Thanks again,
Jim
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:55 AM   #632
Regular Crew

Wanda Fulweather

Wanda Fulweather: 5MB QuickTime file

This was originally shot as part of a children's Christmas musical as a mock weather report to introduce another video about a shoebox Christmas gift ministry. I shot my daughter in front of a green screen and composited in everything else. Rain and Snow are from After Effects and the rest is footage shot by me, all on a GL2, and composited with FCP3.

The smaller size and compression of the QuickTime hide the green spill on my daughter's blonde hair, but I was pretty happy with the Chroma Keying I was able to pull off in FCP. If I had it to do over again, I would have lit the set differently and gotten more separation between her and the green screen.
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #633
Wrangler

Where is Kawaguchi City?

The film I worked on in Paris last year has been accepted as an official entry at the SKIP CITY International D-Cinema Festival in Japan.

Any members from there, or otherwise know where that is?

Apparently SKIP CITY is a recently developed industrial park and incubator for high technology media companies.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #634
ChorizoSmells

It's just north of Tokyo.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middl..._topo_1977.jpg

congrats on getting your film accepted.
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #635
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Congratulations, Robert. Let me know the details of when your film will be shown and I'll go check it out.
Old December 6th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #636
Regular Crew

A 48 hr film shot on an XL1s

This film isn't *really* mine, but it was made with my camera (and I helped out with some of the shots) for a guerilla film-making competition we organised at my University. The film was shot and edited within 48 hours of receiving the title by people who mostly hadn't done any film-making before. I'm still not sure I fully understand the plot, and some of the acting is woeful, but otherwise I think it's pretty good all things considered.

It's going to be on my webspace a while so the people who made it can show it to their friends, so I thought I might as well stick it up here. If anyone has any questions I'll try and answer them, and any criticisms I'll probably agree with :o)

So without further ado:

http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/kc281/lostweekend_300k.mp4

(14MB's by the way)

Enjoy,
Kieran
Old December 6th, 2003, 04:56 AM   #637
Regular Crew

I was not certain why the dude wanted to return the paper to the papergirl so badly. There was absolutely no coherency whatsoever anywhere. I like how I can hear the quietest of sounds in the bar but not the voices from the conversation.

To be quite honest, your movie does make me want to do something completely random and bizarre, yet still entertaining to watch. It gets people talking about the movie, it's easy and fun to do (no script required), and you can claim that anyone who doesn't "get it" just isn't capable of understanding true art. In the end, though, it's all about humor. Laugh at the bizarreness of it all.

Thanks for the laugh! :)
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:18 AM   #638
Regular Crew

Completely with you on that one :o)

The plot, as I've heard it, is this:

Guy wants to go out because it's a Friday night, but when he goes outside it's Saturday morning, as we discover when he gets hit by saturday morning's paper. At that point all narrative coherence disintegrates. He then runs after the paperboy (it was a boy - blame it on the compression) to find out why it's saturday morning. You see he's in shock because it's still Friday night inside his house. But the paperboy goes off and so the guy stops to go to the pub. By this point his state of shock has bizarrely disappeared completely and he's no longer bothered that it's Saturday morning instead of Friday night. But he should have been because when he starts chatting up the girl and buys her a drink it suddenly becomes Saturday night, so that when he turns to give her a drink someone else is there who's not too happy about it and chases him into the toilet. But while he's in the toilet it turns into Sunday morning, as you can tell from the prodigious use of colour correction in the bar. He's confused and so he goes and sits on a bench and looks at the paper trying to fathom out what's happened. Then the paperboy goes past him again and he follows in the hope of answers. Cue more misery and he decides to get the bus home. Then he sees that the bus is going to take him into Monday and it suddenly clicks - he's been in some bizarre time warp! - so he goes all the way home, back through the days, and when he gets there the paperboy arrives again because it's saturday morning, but he doesn't have the paper because the main character guy still has it - you see - and the main character ends up throwing the paper at the paperboy, blaming him for his woes.

What the?

Exactly.

The reason there's no dialogue in the bar is that they forgot to turn on the shotgun mic. They had already recorded ambient bar noise though, so it got stuck in during the editing as a joke, precisely because you can't hear what the actors are saying. Also the bus was almost a very clever joke. Originally it was going to come right outside the church, until it was discovered that buses only stopped outside the church every hour. The point being that the bus' role in the story is as a deus ex machina, and they thought it was funny to have the machine coming to god if you see what I mean..

But hey, more randomness I say, down with narrative structure!

Kieran
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:30 AM   #639
Wrangler

Thanks for the map, Rik. It looks like no more than a half-hour drive from central Tokyo, is that right?

John, I'll let you know when I have more details. The festival is in March 2004.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #640
Trustee

Haha!! I guess you've never been to Tokyo before ay Robert? Nowhere in Tokyo takes just half and hour!! Hell, I live in what is considered the country and it sometimes takes me 10 mins just to get out of my driveway. If you are coming here for the festival then forget driving cars altogether, a, rental is bloody expensive and b, it's a different ballgame driving round Tokyo, kinda like NY but with out any rhyme or reason.

The train system here is one of the best in the world and would be the best way to get around. It gets 'a little crowded' at rush hour but is efficient and reliable.

Here's a link to JR's Tokyo rail map. Would probably only take 15mins
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #641
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Adrian's right. I imagine door-to-door for me would be about two hours to get there. And I live in central Tokyo!
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #642
ChorizoSmells

That's why I like living in Osaka, everything is so close, I can ride my bike to Namba in about 15 min. Umeda is only 13 min. away by train, heck, I even one time rode my bike to the Canon Service center in only 8 min. It's one stop over in Morinomiya. The longest ride I take is the train to Kyoto, only an hour from my place.

On the subject of Japan, right now Resfest is in full swing down here in the Big O. been checking it out, my friend does PR work for Resfest Japan so he got me a festival pass, just saw the documentary Stoked tonight, great flick. He introduced me to the woman in charge of Japan Resfest, I gave her a copy of the short film a friend and I submitted but didn't get accepted to Resfest. I was surprised by some of the shorts that got in, not very good.

Did you guys check out Resfest?
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #643
Major Player

I'm still not sure I fully understand the plot, and some of the acting is woeful, but otherwise I think it's pretty good all things considered.

I love your review.
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #644
Major Player

I originally interpreted it to mean the guy had another weekend of getting nowhere in life. Partied the week away and still didn't get the girl. Then Monday rolls around and it's back to work/school.

Overall I didn't think there was anything random or unstructured at all. I'd even submit it to a festival and wouldn't be surprised if it won something.
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:37 PM   #645
Regular Crew

Team Bling - Sportbike Intro

This is my first edit production and I'd like some feedback. Camera was shakey (hand held for obvious reasons) as the wind was insane this day. This is a basic edit deal synched with music. I'd like to build on this in the future with some more cinematic effects, but you gotta start somewhere.

This is a promo for "helmetharbor.com", a local motorcycle apparel shop. They have their own race team, and this is the intro for a short 20 minute documentary about the team and the club race scene. The total production will be completed in a week or so and the shop owner is having 2000 glass mastered disks printed up. Pretty cool for a first gig.

This is a 7 MB windows media file.

http://www.kkingdigital.com/video/team_bling_01.wmv

Thanks for the feedback.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work