Show Your Work 2003 - Page 46 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:29 PM   #676
RED Code Chef

If anybody wants to download it directly or use a download
manager and doesn't want to rip out the link themselves,
here it is

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 24th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #677
RED Code Chef

Well since you threw it together it was kinda okay. I really disliked
a lot of the shaky camera stuff. Also it looked like you wanted to
introduce tention which didn't work out too much due to editing
and certain coverage.

You do know that you are using music in the video which you
(I'm assuming) don't have the rights for?

I thought the editing did improve futher down the short!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 24th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #678
New Boot

The hunters just mumble something... Like "two and a half at 1 o'clock... seven three four..." It's not very important anyway, they're just aiming at the target and figuring out the distance (I think...)

I have no idea whether it's shot on S16 or HD, but probably not on 35mm. The director (Jalmari Helander) has been called something like the rising star in Finnish action film (yak...). I've seen some other films he made, too, and he just rocks. He started as a amatuer, but works nowadays for a well-known (and well-paid) production company, making mostly ads. This can be seen, because the technical side is great but the storytelling is... well, not-so-great. He's an ace in entertaining people, but when discussing in-depth, he might have something to learn. Well, that much about the director.

Anyway, this short has been made on a hobby-something basis, self-financed (I think) and with a non-professional (or at least non-paid) crew.

-J

PS. Merry Christmas, everybody. *<:-)

<<<-- Originally posted by Andreas Fernbrant : Great! I just love it!

Jarno, what does the hunters say? I'm from Sweden but can't figure it out...

I would love to get to know what the setup was.
35mm? 16mm? Really really good.. -->>>
Old December 24th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #679
Regular Crew

yep no intent to sell...probably still in the wrong though :S

this wasn't planned or anything - shaky cam I tried my best to smooth but we also felt like idiots running around with a cam in the university library!

Don't take it too seriously...I just know I love seeing what people make with their cams on here, even if it sucks - it always gives me ideas, things I tell myself i'd do differently mostly

editing was too slow in my opinion
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #680
Major Player

My latest (current) work.

Some of you may have seen it already.
But this is what I've been up to.

It's from my upcoming video on DVD.
This is the two dances I made for the movie. If you have any questions or comments don't hesitate.
I need to get better and the best way is for other people to speak their mind about my work.

Intro: www.atamashi.com/work/saltomortalez/intro.mov
Dance1: http://www.atamashi.com/work/saltomo...alezdance2.mov

And this is my latest work.
Dance2: http://www.atamashi.com/work/saltomo...talezdance.mov

Thanks for taking time to watch my short films.

Be safe, and may 2004 bring us all some great footage!

/Andreas
Old December 26th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #681
Regular Crew

Andreas Addiction

Beautiful imagery, Andreas. I did notice one small thing. It looked like your 16:9 mask moved at about 2:27 into the dance video.

And for what it's worth, I agree with Keith about the Dance2 video. I don't get the impression that the guy hollering at her crushed her spirit at all. If you want that to be the message, then I think you have to recut so that she doesn't dance anymore after he yells.

The only other suggestion is there were some long shots in Dance2 that appeared very dark on my computer.

It's still great work. I'm anxious to see the DVD when your finish. Keep us posted.

Mickey
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #682
Major Player

Thank you.

Yes, the mask moves. the intent is to spit the view in 2 and run one side in normal motion and the other one in slow-motion.
Somehow the quicktime and some other things made the 16x9 mask flip out. But when I render full DV quality it works.

I didn't feel I would change that just for the .mov I renderd.
(sloppy and lazy) :)

Well, you seem to have gotten the message so why do a recut?
If you take it in a way that he crush her spirit that's your choice.
If you want to take it another way that's fine too:) I feel it came across as good as as it could. (she is a dancer not an actor)

I know some bits in the dance appeard to dark, we had a monitor with us and on the monitor (TV) it worked a lot better. So on the final DVD on a real TV it will be better. More contrast (with brighter parts). We did struggle with the light conditions. I always felt we had to little light to work with, but I did manage to keep the gain out of it.

Thank you for your comments, I'm noting them in my mental notebook!

Take care Mickey!
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:21 AM   #683
New Boot

This is an amazing collection of files - many thanks for posting them - inspirational stuff!
Old December 27th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #684
Regular Crew

I'd say most kids use music from cd's they've bought or downloaded in their videos...most kids I know...being that i'm 16..don't go and sell these videos...they are all for fun
Old December 27th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #685
Major Player

I've got two "movies" for ya. Feedback?

Oh, alright (I suppose that should be "all right", technically, but I like this spelling better), I see--over the past week or so, while DV.com was down, I wanted to post some of my material here for your viewing (dis)pleasure, but couldn't decide which forum was best for it. I'm not doing broadcast or theatrical video, but it seems others in my position are also comfortable posting here, so what the hey?

I'll keep this simple. I've got two little movies to show you guys, and I want some feedback. Good, bad, indifferent, I don't care, so long as it's feedback. One could say I've got an ulterior motive for desiring this feedback, but telling you what it is could potentially taint your perception of said films, so bear with me.

I could go on and on and on about all the incredibly obvious problems with these files. All the blatant errors I made, all the stupid things I did, and all the less important things that I simply don't like, but that would take all of the fun out of criticizing me, wouldn't it?

My only disclaimers are as follows. No, there's not supposed to be audio. I'm working on it. And yes, I know the second one doesn't have a point. I'm working on that, also.

Everything else is fair game, so go to town.

These are just ordinary, run of the mill Quicktime files, encoded with SV3. Hope you can see them.

http://www.gyroshot.com/movies/Ninchairs.mov

http://www.gyroshot.com/movies/HorrorClips.mov

Those of you who also belong to the community at DV.com can find an equivalent thread at http://dv.com/jive3/thread.jspa?thre...00254&tstart=0, should you so desire.
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:26 AM   #686
Major Player

With the horror one the first thing that stuck out to me was that you NEVER moved the camera... it was a locked down angle every single shot. Camera move, good.

You used the 'walk into the camera and black out the picture' transition more then once-- tough to get away from.

I only watched it once but the picture looked pretty good and the lighting in the basement shots looked like it worked.

The chair ninja thing was fun and you did move the camera but a lot of times in action fight sequences you'll see a lot of quick cuts that highten the tension and make it all seem more exciting. might want to try that.

I always say "steal from the best". Pic your favorite martial arts fight from a film and steal as much of it as you can as far as angle, transitions, shots. You'll learn a lot that way and the next time you do something like this you can change it up with your own ideas.
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #687
Major Player

Excellent, excellent, gettin' some response! Appreciate it.

That "walk into the camera" thing, well, yeah, I was afraid that'd be a problem, but damned if I wasn't too lazy to come up with something interesting. :)

As for my static camera, that was intentional. I had meant for the locked down shots to be contrasted with some actual moving ones of a sort, thus making the difference between two particular locations in the film more apparent, but I haven't shot that stuff yet, so this crap has to stand on its own. And, in retrospect, I suppose I could always just move the camera DIFFERENTLY to accentuate the comparison, rather than be so overbearingly drastic.

Of course, even if I wanted to move the thing in these shots, I'd have been hard pressed to, as that's my fat, goofy, awkward ass you see on camera. Lesson learned? Find some good-looking friends who can act.

"Steal from the best", eh? Sounds like fun, I'll try it out!
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #688
Regular Crew

In a funny way I liked the chairs idea it seemed odd at first yet I started to laugh at the amusement that you brought to the table.

Thank you
Old December 28th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #689
Wrangler

The ninja chairs was too slowly paced to hold my interest for long. Edit it more, maybe speed it up.

The horror on needs some tighter editing, and music. And it needs to be lighter. Use some dissolves between shots.
Old December 28th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #690
Trustee

Hey, I liked the "horror" one. The other one didn't hold attention because it looked like an excersise in "let's see what we can do" type shooting. Remember, it's about a story and related to the people you're telling to watch your film...at least create a little back story to the first one...something to flesh it out.

Ok, so the horror one had some nice locations. It visually kept me interested because dark locations that are lite well always make me watch. It also had some nice camera work - just like one of the previous posters said...no camera moves....it's nice.

Also, I liked the widescreen format much better...I LOVE widescreen actually. Always use that if you can in my opinion.

Ok, so I would tighted up the editing all around like the previous post said...and remember....just layer story over it...lots of layers of story.

Murph
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work