CASI CASI - A new DVX100 feature film, in festivals soon! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 14th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Major Player

CASI CASI - A new DVX100 feature film, in festivals soon!

Hello, all.

My brother and I have been working on the feature-length film CASI CASI for several years. This past Fall, we finished editing, and I'm now very proud to finally be able to announce that we've been accepted to the following festivals (so far):

San Diego Latino Film Festival
Philadelphia Film Festival
Chicago Latino Film Festival

Please check out our website at www.casicasi.com for all the info, screen grabs, synopsis, etc. We shot this film in the Summer of '03 with a DVX100, a small but talented crew, and a lot of sweat. We're working on a trailer and on putting together everything we need for the festivals.

I've been a member of DVinfo.net since August '02, and I want to thank Chris Hurd and everyone else at here for all the knowledge, expertise, and invaluable information. For two months I delved into all the articles and threads I could to gather every bit of info I could get. This was my film school, on these web pages, and I truly appreciate all your help. I can honestly say that this film would not have been possible without DVinfo.net.

So, there you have it. www.casicasi.com is finally up and running, and the film will be coming soon to a theater near you! I'll post here with any more updates, venues, distribution deals (knock on wood), etc.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Trailer Now Online!!!

Well, folks. We finally finished putting up the trailer online. You can see it in the gallery section.

English:
http://www.casicasi.com/Eng-Trailer-Select.html

Spanish:
http://www.casicasi.com/Esp-Cortos-Seleccione.html

Also, we're going to be screening at the San Diego Latino Film Festival next weekend (March 18-19) for any of you that are in the area, and want to see DVX footage on the big screen. My brother and I will be there for all three screenings, and we'd love to meet any DVInfo-ers that drop by!

EDIT: Fixed the trailer links.

Last edited by Jaime Valles; March 12th, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #3
New Boot

looks good man. It kept my interest the entire time. The kids who were actors were good too.

Did you use any 35 adapters? What sound equipment?

cheers
Shawn Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback!

We didn't use any 35mm or Anamorphic adapters, just the stock DVX100 (not A) lens. We were often at full telephoto from across the room to get shallower depth-of-field, and full aperture. But the deep focus of 1/3" CCDs also made for some interesting compositions in a bunch of shots. The hardest part was dealing with dynamic range and highlights blowing out; the curse of MiniDV. Zebra-stripes were my close friends.

Sound was recorded to a Senheiser ME 66 / K6 Shotgun mic on a boom hooked up to an HHB Portadisc pro-minidisc recorder. At the time (Summer 2003), the flash memory recording devices still weren't tried-and-true, but the Portadisc worked extremely well. Very sturdy, and excellent sound quality. 20 minidiscs later, we sync'd the "good audio" only to the clips used in the final edit, so we didn't have to sync all 36 hours of footage.
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Wrangler

very cool that you did this and even more amazing that you accomplished it with such relatively simple tools at hand. what a remarkable age we live in. trailer looks nice, makes me want to see more.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
very cool that you did this and even more amazing that you accomplished it with such relatively simple tools at hand. what a remarkable age we live in. trailer looks nice, makes me want to see more.
Thanks! It is amazing that something like this can be made with a MiniDV camera and a home computer. I just wish that the HVX200 / HD100 / XL-H1 had been around when we were shooting this! Oh well, we'll use 'em in the next one. ;)
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Major Player

We won!

Just wanted to update everyone here. We just got back from the San Diego Latino Film Festival, and our movie won the Audience Award! Our three screenings were packed, and one could hear the laughter out in the hallway! We couldn't have asked for a more positive reaction from the audience, and from everyone at the festival.

Next up is the Philadelphia Film Festival, April 8 and 9. If any of you in Philly want to see DVX footage on the (really) big screen, check out www.casicasi.com for info on tickets and screening times and dates. We'd love to see you there!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Tourist

Congrats

First of all I'd like to congratulate you for the film, I've been to your website and saw the trailer and I liked it! I've seen that you won at the festivals too!

I wanted to ask you (since I'm latino) how are the Spanish movies doing? I made some shorts half of them in Spanish but I don't seem to find much interest unless the audience speak Spanish... is there a hidden market that I don't know of? I certainly prefer writing in Spanish since I've been doing that for years already and it takes me way more time to write and ask my friends to proof read my scripts in English...
Adrian E. Cavalcanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Inner Circle

From watching the trailer, the movie sounds great. I'm digging the narration.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Jaime,

I really liked the trailer and the screenshots look very good. Did you use any grips, steadycams, dollies, cranes?

It's nice to see spanish DV movies, how did the english-speaking audience react to it?

I'm Cuban, and I just started getting interested in video and photography about a year ago, and I'm considering it for a college major (I'm in high school). Will you be selling DVD's of the movie?

Thanks,

Ernesto.

PS: Out of curiosity, how did you manage to get access to a school, and to get all those people and uniforms for the scene at the gym thats on the trailer?
Ernesto Llano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #11
Major Player

Hello again! I just saw these last few posts today, so I'll try responding as best as I can.

Adrian: Thanks so much for the kind words! As for movies in Spanish... The market seems to be expanding. There are several production companies out there now that are aiming content at latinos in the US. Check out Panamax, a division of Lion's Gate Films. There's also Casa Nova Entertainment. I think if the story is compelling and the craftmanship is top-notch, a film will find it's audience, regardless of language barriers. Keep making your movies in Spanish if that's where you feel most comfortable when writing. More than the language, distributors are interested in "star" names, so if you can get a couple of Spanish Novela actors to be in your film, you're bound to get some media exposure.

Glenn: Thanks for the compliments! We figured that using a narration was the best way of marketing a movie in Spanish. I'd hate having to read subtitles on a tiny web trailer!

Ernesto: Yes, we used a Glidecam V-8 for smoother running shots, and used a ProMax Cobra Crane for a ton of shots. We used a regular hand truck as a dolly with the tripod duck-taped to it.

When we screened the film at the Philadelphia Film Festival, the vast majority of the audience was English-speaking only. We were extremely pleased to see their reaction was exactly the same as when we screened it in front of a mostly-latino audience! They were thoroughly enjoying the film, laughing and gasping in all the right places. It was wonderful!

Yes, we're definitely planning on selling DVDs. Negotiations with distributors are taking place as we speak (write?) and I'll post here as soon as I have more details.

The school you see in the movie was my old high school in Puerto Rico. We spoke with the Principal and esssentially "pitched" the whole production, and she gave us the OK. We shot it over the course of seven weeks during the summer, so we weren't interrupting any classes. However, we could only be in the school when the maintenance staff was there cleaning, painting, etc. from 7am until 4pm. Afterwards, we'd go home and watch the "dailies" and prepare for the next day.

For the students in the gym scene we wrangled as many kids as we could find for an afternoon and gave them all blue shirts with school logo patches stitched on. In order to fill the stands... well, let's just say we had to get creative with compositing using Apple Motion. ;)

Last edited by Jaime Valles; July 8th, 2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #12
Major Player

Update!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we're an official selection of the New York International Latino Film Festival! The screenings will take place on Thursday, July 27th at 6pm and on Saturday, July 29th at 1pm.

For more info and to purchase tickets, visit www.casicasi.com. I hope to see some of you there!
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #13
New Boot

Nice Trailer dude!
Chayse Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Looks Great

Jaime, As a fellow "Puertorro" , San Ignacio Grad, I want to let you know it's great to see this kind of production out there. Trailer looks great and I wish you all the luck!

Keep us posted on your progress,

Victor Matos
Victor Matos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #15
Major Player

Gracias, Victor! What year did you graduate? I'm class of '95 from Perpetuo Socorro. I know a bunch of people from San Ignacio. Small world ;) I'll definitely let you know when the movie is available in your part of town. Hablamos pronto!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work