DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   "SALUS" Trailer (Epic action) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/61172-salus-trailer-epic-action.html)

Jonathan Stanley February 21st, 2006 02:43 AM

"SALUS" Trailer (Epic action)

Hey guys,

I just completed a trailer for my first short "SALUS". I am looking to get some feedback on the technical aspects of the trailer. What works for you? What don't you like?

I'm not really looking for comments on the acting--I realize it is what it is (oh well). I will take comments on the voice over acting though, since that was me:)

Anyways here's the link:

www.interlightvideo.com/salus.htm

Thanks.
Jonathan

Jeremy Hughes February 21st, 2006 11:08 AM

It made me want to see it - you had some beautiful shots in there and the pacing of the trailer was good. I learned what I needed to - is the short done yet?

Joe Strong February 21st, 2006 01:17 PM

Good job!

The only bit I didn't care for was the green light effect behind some of the text. It didn't seem to fit. Perhaps if it was kept consistent with the title?

Waheed AlQawasmi February 21st, 2006 02:48 PM

Dude, that was really cool. I also bet that you did not have that much money to do this with, and i am not saying that because of the quality, its great. Its just one of these things that you know the director did it gorrila style, and you get his hard work through the work. Not just some half A** WORK. pretty cool man keep it coming. Good to see some other young people doing proffesional stuff.

Jonathan Stanley February 21st, 2006 04:07 PM

Thanks guys.

Jeremy- the short is not finished yet. I made the classic newbie mistake of ignoring the sound while filming and now I am paying for it. It is to the point that I am not sure if I can finish the film to a high standard. If you carefully listen to the dialogue you can hear that it's really hollow with lots of noise--and those are the best takes!! Opps....

Joe- You are right about the titles, there is no consistancy. I did them at different points in time and I didnt think about the color.

Waheed- thanks for the feedback:) It was low budget (of course!) and I spent all my money on costumes leaving none for lighting--so the entire short was natural light. Natural, very harsh, unpleasing, cloudy-then-not-cloudly, light. Of course I just turned 22, so I am not that young! But seriously, I had a bunch of great people who helped make it possible, like the actors who let me smear mud all over them so they would look "grundgy".

Jonathan

Travis Cossel February 21st, 2006 08:40 PM

I know you didn't want comments on the acting, but here it comes . . . I thought the acting wasn't half-bad actually. d:-)

You did a good job with the trailer. It was paced well and led me into the story without giving too much away. Your lighting worked out pretty well considering you were at the mercy of mother nature. Nice job overall!

Dave Ferdinand February 22nd, 2006 04:06 PM

Looks cool. This type of film takes a lot of money to make it convincing so it's good to see someone with balls to make one with little money! Of course the lack of resources are obvious but still the usual 'shot-in-the-bedroom' films most people do.

I liked especially the shot where he is talking to the blonde girl. The sun is shining on her hair and it looks really cool, very filmic.

Maybe you could try add more soldiers in the battle scenes using CGI. It won't be easy though...

Jonathan Stanley February 22nd, 2006 07:15 PM

That is exactly why I tried to do this rather than a "coffee shop film" as I call them. It is different for better or worse.

As a matter of fact in many shots the soldiers are digital CGI :) I'll take it as a compliment that you didnt already notice my bang up job with After Effects (sarcasm here). But you are exactly right that you are limited with these films if you have no money.

Lessons I learned from making this:

1. Script and actors are more important than how "cool" your swordplay is
2. Sound is at least 50% of what you see. Lord of the Rings with bad sound is still not a good movie.
3. Tis' better to shoot than read a book. I learned far more from just "figuring it out" than I ever have from reading a book, forum, etc. Of course they have their place (and are great information!), but nothing beats shooting.

I'll think of some more later...

Jonathan

Andy Graham February 22nd, 2006 08:10 PM

The trailer looks good....like Dave said nice to see an ambitious film, All the best

What camera did you use?

Andy

Jonathan Stanley February 24th, 2006 12:54 PM

Camera- XL1s with 14x manual lens.

By the way, that lens changed my life. I recommend to anyone shooting on an XL1. My stock lens is now a bone for Fido after buying that lens...

Jonathan

Eniola Akintoye February 27th, 2006 05:06 PM

Jo,
I think the whole thing was a beauty men.

Keep it up guys!

Bill Porter February 28th, 2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waheed AlQawasmi
Its just one of these things that you know the director did it gorrila style,

I think you mean [i]guerilla[/]. Gorilla style means large and hairy. ;-)