DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   S.e.e.d (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/63277-s-e-e-d.html)

Pete Mander March 20th, 2006 01:08 AM

S.e.e.d

first short film, directing, camara.etc etc

but not first time making costumes LMK what you think

download the 27 min film here:

www.seedfilm.com/videos/seedhd.zip

www.seedfilm.com

pete

Pete Mander March 20th, 2006 05:21 AM

is there something wrong with the link???

Andy Graham March 20th, 2006 06:20 AM

the link is fine, . I remeber watching the trailer a while back and you said it was your first film and now that i've seen it I think you did a great job. The costumes are first rate, they hold up even in digital....how long did it take you to make them?.

alot of first time films don't flow well because the edits are very obvious but i think you did a good job picking your camera angles angles and making the edit flow. And your use of what i assume was after effects was very good, the electricity running through the predators did a alot to help them become more alien and mixed with the actors in the suits walking slowly it was effective.

well done.

Andy.

Pete Mander March 20th, 2006 11:32 AM

thanks andy

the edit was all done in premiere pro I have after effect just havent figured it out..it took me about 2 weeks just to figure out how to get a file into the preimere and do something with it..LOL the costume where done over a long period of time while working in my other buisness..so some stuff was made a year before and sat up on the self.

Im glade the link works..thanks for the comments

Pete

Eniola Akintoye March 20th, 2006 06:07 PM

Couldn't see it.
I personally think DivX sucks, so is there any other way we can see this thriller?

Pete Mander March 20th, 2006 06:24 PM

sorry i know nothing about DIVX I have a freind in montreal i mailed the raw file too to convert for me and the other stuff he does my website.

I will be on IFILM very shortly.

Pete

Eniola Akintoye March 22nd, 2006 05:43 PM

The trailer is not working you know.

I saw you shot directly with the XL2, what did you use for editing and CC?
I know you did this a long time, but what XL2 settings did you use for the river shot?

Pete Mander March 22nd, 2006 06:04 PM

we used the xl1 camera

here is a QT link

http://www.mistrfinga.com/seed_low.mov

Pete Mander March 28th, 2006 02:38 PM

well its up on IFILM now if you what to check it out....

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2712197

some sort of feedback would be great and very helpfull i know its a fanfilm but the story is original and its a pratice run before I do anything serious...I came on this board awhile ago because if all the info here and some things i learned and am still learning but no replay kinda sucks. i cant learn if I dont know I am asking for some help:)

it my first film and forst time editing.. I know the audio and stuff is not the gratest,,but from other site all i hear is the editing is to fast??? i dont get it

please someone take 23 minutes out and check this out I respect what is said on this forum. and its not like I didnt spend a ton of time tring to do this..we ran out of funds and really didnt have enough people to help so it about 40% of the script..but its not that bad..everone involved this was our first--our baby

thanks in advance

pete

Pete Mander March 29th, 2006 08:42 AM

Pete I have some advice here If i could but I am you and since I am not talking to myself ..what do I say???LOL

Well lets wait and see what happens there are two easy downloads now maby it will just take time..otherwise ill pop back in later,, and bump the thread up a few more times..lol

good luck

Andy Graham March 29th, 2006 11:12 AM

Pete,

what kind of advice are you looking for? I suspect that most people agree with what I said earlier........for a first attempt it was good,obviously there are many aspects that could be improved upon for next time but I imagine you know what they are yourself, the main ones being sound and colour correction

You can't be speilberg in one attempt but you can learn from your mistakes most of which only you will know about.

The main thing is you keep at it

Andy.

Pete Mander March 29th, 2006 12:32 PM

thanks andy

i quess Im not shure then what im looking for? if you could let me know what obvious edits mean in an earlier post you made I dont know what that means..like fast cuts? uneven? i dunno just that sort of thing i quess would help abit:)

thanks for the reply

Pete

Andy Graham March 29th, 2006 05:03 PM

Here is a link to another thread that will help you to understand what i mean by an obvious edit or more to the point an over cut scene.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63682

Watch the the movie "the date" and read my post. Its quite common for new filmmakers to feel that they have to show every movement of the character and explain in lots of cuts how the subject gets from point A to point B but you learn that less is more ,which is not to say that you should NEVER use alot of cuts, it has its time and place you just have to know the rules before you can break them .

Andy.

Jeff Cottrone March 30th, 2006 12:10 AM

cut

Hi Pete, I watched most of your film. I'm very impressed by all the alien parts, really. The effects are great. It looks fine. There are many good things about it. Storytelling is not one of them.

IMHO, you take way too long to get to the story. It actually starts when the two guys sit down at that table in the conf. room. I wasn't timing it, but that must be almost 10 minutes in. When you finish the credit sequence and establish an alien, get right into that scene b/c it explains what the hell is going on. Then they go after the brother. All that other stuff, no matter how good it looks, is extraneous and seriously bogs it down. IMHO, the greatest thing a director can learn is screenwriting, meaning storytelling skills. Smooth transitions between scenes that move from story beat to story beat is vital to keeping interest. Keep it up. You're good at the shooting part, editing and writing needs work. I'm actually the opposite right now. Back to work. :)

Jeff Cottrone March 30th, 2006 12:11 AM

score

Oh, I forgot to ask, what program did you use to score this? Many parts of the score are great. Other times it seems over used and draws too much attention to itself.