"The Date" - my first movie! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"The Date" - my first movie!

ok, the reason i'm sharing this is because i'm still happy with the way the script originally was. Video and sound don't look or sound good, but i still laugh everytime i watch this little film. It's 9.4 megs in size and 4:30 minutes long.

http://film.tinycomet.com/films/thedate.wmv

i've wanted to post a .mov version but still can't get quicktime to cooperate with me... maybe when i can get quicktime to work with me, i'll post that too.

Last edited by Raji Barbir; March 26th, 2006 at 11:18 AM.
Raji Barbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Anyone who gets something complete deserves a pat on the back... that being said... I thought it was pretty unoriginal, I love fart jokes as much as the next guy but I didnt think this was funny at all...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Major Player

It Stinks.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

lol

damn that's harsh!! I have to say i'm having a hard time understanding why it's so bad... i mean i knew it was bad... but i didn't think people would think it was THAT bad!!... i know all of the 12 million faults this thing has. Lack of continuity, poor lighting, poor audio, not the best acting, strange cuts because of where the characters are between the cuts, etc.

i don't know. I'd appreciate some constructive critiques more than anything else. If it sucks that bad, fine, but point out what you hated about it so i can fix it next time around. Unoriginal? Uh... a fart joke is a fart joke... how could it be original? Maybe that's the problem.

I shot this so i could see all the mistakes i'd make before i shot the films i really want to look good. And no, i don't have anymore fart-related stories and i don't expect my next movie to look like gold either.

Either way, thanks for the replies.
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Major Player

a fart joke's a a fart joke's a fart joke...

although I thought it was pretty funny. good editing. My opinion might not count because of a small amount of innhebriation., but I enjoyed it!!!
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Ok...4.5 minutes is waaay too long for this. Budwiser did their farting horses in 30 seconds. Really, I thought it was painful to watch. I hung in there for a surprise ending that never came. The girl passing out was just not enough. Just cut 4 minutes and you be fine.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Well, I have seen a million date movies, most involve farting, nothing original about either. Actually the only remotely original line was the guy blaming it on his shoes... the waking up, the date almost there, the getting ready... all one big cliche... The editing was pretty decent though... keep at it!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Major Player

I'll throw in some constructive criticism that may help you next time.....with regards to your editing IMO you over cut it. For example In the scene where they move from the door to the living room I counted four cuts, I would have cut that in no more than two shots.....if you start to notice the edits then they are wrong, a good edit is never seen and when you over cut something it draws the audiences attention to the edit.

But keep at it.

Andy.
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'd have to agree with both the person who said you over-cut as well as the person who said this was too long.

I think a lot of amateur film directors or editors (whatever you want to call them) shoot for too long a length without enough content. It's not good to overstretch a concept. It took me two years to figure that out.

Regarding the cuts. I like to think that if you take a still from each of your shots and lay them out, they should work in a similar way that a comic does (with the exception that video moves, and because of that, can become a lot more dynamic). I think you really begin to notice a lot about your shorts when you do that and you may start finding shots that you can . . . cut altogether.

Matt
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks guys, this helps a lot more.

I thought about this a lot and remembered something that had bothered me when reading over the script, weeks after it had been finalized: I remember thinking "where's the hook? Where's the event that really throws the characters and the story off balance? Where's the opposition?". I foolishly chose to ignore this and i didn't think of it until after i realized nobody liked the film except my family, who is required by law to be biased about everything i do. hehe

but the critiques are very useful to me, so thanks again guys!
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raji Barbir
i realized nobody liked the film except my family,
Actually, the intoxicated guy from Alabama seemed to enjoy it.
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #12
Major Player

haha, I thought it was funny... but, watching it again, it did seem kinda flat. At first I didn't notice the over-edited scenes (for obvious reasons), but now that I watch it again, it does seem to cut around a lot.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:49 PM   #13
Major Player

Was I the only one who noticed that the girl knew exactly where the TV was, when she'd never been in the house before?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

haha didn't think of that... but yeah. You'll also notice that when they first meet, Todd says "come in! come in!", but she's already let herself in. There's plenty of little flaws like that. :D
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #15
Major Player

What camera did you use for shooting?
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work