Show Your Work 2007 - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old February 28th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #226
Regular Crew

The last two were ingenius. Very clever and well edited.......
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #227
Trustee

I'd love to get some reviews on this...beat it up, I have a thick skin. You can start with the failings of using an unbalanced microphone with cheap floursescent lights, and ending up with hollow sounding dialog from all the audio scrubbing I had to do to them. Then hit Cinematography, lighting, blocking, editing etc.

HIT ME!
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #228
Trustee

Only one suggestion.... leave the text on the screen a little longer for older, slower, folks to read.
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #229
Regular Crew

My new short film (for OTL submission)

hey guys...I posted this on the XHA1 forum in full HD...but had to take it down because it was eating up my transfer rate on my website...so...here it is in non HD glory...but thought I would put it out there for you guys to rate it..comment on it...etc...thanks!!

Film Permalink: http://films.thelot.com/films/30436
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:09 AM   #230
Major Player

Video & Film Isnt...

Video & Film isn't just a theatre and an audience...

http://rileyharmon.com/diorama.htm

counter-terrorists win, nuff said
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM   #231
Major Player

Well, I'm not gonna BEAT ya up, but here's some observations.

Good:
Lighting was very nice, except for a rare few instances. Talent was talented. Girl was scarily made-up, which is good. Nice range of shots and the editing was fairly seamless. So you must have had good coverage (rare indeed on a low budget). It was funny!

Bad:
A few times the light shadows on the Dad's face (towards the end). A lot of the b-roll archive footage seemed out of place. Now, this could be fine, if that's your intent... but start rolling it in during Dad's speech, too, so you set up your audience to accept it.

The scene just went on too long, IMHO. Dad's speech could have been way shorter and really place more focus on Mom's zingers.

Ugly:
Audio, like you said. Much of Mom's key dialog is lost in the muddiness. Maybe this is why the b-roll came into being in the first place... to mask your edits and/or script changes. But ADR it or something, since it's so paramount to the piece.

Also, the video took forever to download/ stream. Much of your audience will give up before watching it.

But overall, I was entertained. Which is what you set out to do. So please keep up the good work!
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM   #232
New Boot

Duplicity for On The Lot (5:35 run time)

Hi!

If you can check out my film Duplicity and leave some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

http://films.thelot.com/films/28878

"A private investigator takes on a seemingly effortless assignment only to uncover more than he bargained for."

It was shot on the XL2 if you are wondering.

Thanks!
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM   #233
Tourist

Hollywood, CA (used to be Western Mass)

Shot this with a DVX100, hardware lights, and a boom mic. There's no mercy for low budget out here. Let me know what you think.

http://films.thelot.com/films/21143
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:12 PM   #234
Trustee

Thank you very much sir. Hopefully the audio will be better in future productions. My production company just purchased a Canon MA100 and a Used Sony ECM 672 shotgun to replace my Audio Technica ATR55 that we've been shooting with.

Thanks for taking the time to watch, What kind of file size do you generally look for when downloading films, I know some of the sizes on this board are just gargantuan. I'd, obviously, like to make my work open to as wide an audience as possible.
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM   #235
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Reed View Post
There's no mercy for low budget out here.http://films.thelot.com/films/21143
What do you mean by this, Dan?
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM   #236
Major Player

Isn't here anybody who needs a little Fade? Looking forwards to your opinion, thanks.
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM   #237
Regular Crew

Good work. The pacing was pretty smooth and I really liked the lighting in the last scene. I just left you a review.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:28 AM   #238
Major Player

I don't think it was a file size issue. I'm used to 50-100MB+ video file sizes, since I have a 1.5Mb connection. It seems your domain server was a bit sluggish, but it could have been a temporary thing. It stalled out at some point and I went along surfing and reading posts here... and your vid finally popped up and started playing like 20min later.

Whatever your encoding settings are, they look great. And it's nice that you've done low-res. versions for folks on dial-up, etc.

Brian
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM   #239
Trustee

ah yes, the server is on DSL. I've traded off server connection speed for unlimited drivespace and bandwidth usage...and price. It's a friends' server, so it's free...I bought him a drive upon which to host my stuff at one point in time. We're looking into faster options as we speak.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #240
Major Player

Wacky posing routine

This is just for fun. It's clip from a bodybuilding contest that I shot last year. The videography is not exemplary, I just thought I'd post it to give you all a laugh.

I can't believe this competitor had ever SEEN a bodybuilding contest before, let alone been in one! He didn't have a clue what to do! Nor did he have any muscles!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLdNgyhJl0
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work