Show Your Work 2007 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Reel - heeehaaaw!

OK.

Kill me guys.

Put together some footy from some of the gigs I did this fall. But it is so much harder to kill oneself than others.

Yep. I know... There are images that have to go, and I do have others to put in, but this is where I landed for today.

As this is a preview for comments, I'ts kinda hard compressed.

When I'm done I'll release it in 720 as well as SD

Please rightklick on the link and download.

http://www.vulture.no/reel/autumn2006-640.mov

And KILL me!

Gunleik
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM   #17
Regular Crew

This is about "how such a thing is supposed to look", isn't it.

Didn't like the dissolve to whites too much, though.

Gunleik
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Informative.

Gunleik
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM   #19
Major Player

I thought it was well done, and fairly similar to regional spots I might see for Georgia Power, or a similar business.

I actually liked the white dissolves. I felt they fit the "bright new beginnings" theme of the spot, and seem to go well with the motion of each shot - fading from the kids on the train to the pan across the warehouse, for example.

So, how long were you waiting to get that shot of the flock of birds flying past? Or was that just a happy accident?

The only shot that I didn't like was the one with the guy in front of the computer. I didn't like the way he was awkwardly moving in his chair as he pushed it back. And something about a guy in front of a computer didn't have the same warmth as the other shots. Perhaps a more "friendly" business shot to match the VO? Maybe a teller/clerk/business owner having a friendly business transaction with a nice old lady?

A few of the typical questions: What sort of equipment did you use (camera, lights, editing, etc)? What kind of crew did you have? And was that first shot from a bridge or from a crane?

Good spot, though. I think you should be proud of it.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #20
Major Player

Peter -- great job, though I would expect no less based on what I've seen you contribute here. I also checked out some of the Horrors of War Indie Film Tips -- even better. Great, informative stuff, the Horrors of War tips work well because they draw from your real-life experience making the film, yet communicate some pretty universal knowledge.

In all of the clips I looked at, you communicate the concepts clearly and efectively, and maintain the viewer's interest. Yes, they look great, too, but your ability to communicate is impressive. Great work.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM   #21
Regular Crew

very nice was the opening shot with the road a jib shot
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I thought it was very well done. A lot better than many of the regional commercials around here.

However, I do agree with the post about the guy with the computer.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #23
Major Player

i thought it was good.

I assume it wasnt shot on RED, coz its not out yet. But why did you put it in the credits?
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi & thanks!

Nope. Not shot on Red. -;)
The Red part is just to inform clients & prospects that we're building a workflow around Red when it comes out.

All shot on HVX-200, mostly p25.

Gunleik
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #25
New Boot

First spot critiquing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Britt
So, how long were you waiting to get that shot of the flock of birds flying past? Or was that just a happy accident?
Pretty much plain luck. Usually are quite a few geese on the creek I shot that at, and they just happened to decide to take off from their usual spot while we were there.

Quote:
The only shot that I didn't like was the one with the guy in front of the computer...
The longer I worked on it in post, the more I kind of felt like that shot didn't tell any type of story. However, it's footage that was suggested due to the story behind the individual used, nevermind that the audience has no clue of a backstory for it. Long story short, I probably should have axed it and asked for forgiveness instead of permission afterwards, but didn't pick and choose that battle. I may produce a couple more spots with different industry/employment footage in the middle to highlight various employers, at which point, I'll be a little more selective with what is added.

Quote:
A few of the typical questions: What sort of equipment did you use (camera, lights, editing, etc)? What kind of crew did you have? And was that first shot from a bridge or from a crane?
Camera - XL2, used the stock 20x lens (we have the 3x wide-angle but not utilized for this)

Lights - Used none for all shots (although the computer guy was stock from in-house footage and most likely some of our Lowel kit (we have some Tota- and Omni- lights). I did discover the beauty of using the whitecard and white balance feature of the XL2 with this spot and wondered why in the #(*@ I never knew it existed before, heh.

Editing - All done with Final Cut Pro. The "Vapor Across" transition came from the Eureka! Free collection. Applied a Custom Diffusion filter from the free TMTS Stylize batch to try giving it that softer feel. Would love to eventually get Magic Bullet to help streamline some of the look/feel workflow instead of playing with color correction and diffusion all the time.

Crew - There are two of us in the media production department; however, this was all shot solo by myself (except for computer guy, that footage is from before my time here).

Overhead shot from an overpass just from the tripod. Have a porta-jib, but I haven't ventured to utilize it by myself yet for my solo work. I figured as I get my camera-work tweaked and tuned somewhat, I'll start implementing it on some of the higher-profile projects I work on (something like this spot).

Thanks for the feedback so far. Like I mentioned, I feel incredibly fortunate to have access to these tools and an open canvas most of the time. My goal is to take full advantage of it and develop into a level closer to many of you.
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #26
RED Code Chef

I liked the look and was surprised by certain shots. I did get a feeling you were
trying to emulate looks like Sin City & A Scanner Darkly, but was glad to see
you also went your own way.

I had a hard time following and enjoying the story though. I felt the acting was
rough in spots and sometimes hard to follow what was being said (might be
partly due to English being my second language).

Good luck with the movie, good your making stuff!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I'd suggesting deleting that ballerina with the grungy filthy ballet shoes. Yuck!
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Ballerina replaced with one with better looking shoes -;)

Took away the Red part. I'll do a separate thing for that.

But I can still take more bashing! -;)

Cheers & Thanks

I have uploaded a Youtube version because of some demand.
Personally I feel it's a bit counterproductive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5ZJibjLas

Gunleik

Last edited by Gunleik Groven; January 4th, 2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #29
Major Player

Avondale Arizona Police Giving Back

Everyone...

I shot footage of some community events for the Avondale Arizona Police Department back in December 06 for use by the local HD News Channel. Due to unforeseen circumstances (their newsroom doesn't have HDV Decks only DVCAM and I didn't have cables) they were not able to use the footage.

Having what I thought was some heart touching footage I opted to do a quick montage which I presented to the chief of police, they were really blown away and are actually showing it this week during their city council meeting.

That said I down-converted it to H.264 and posted it on my server, the video is the 1st choice from the top at www.lauderdaledj.com/video and as it says on the page, please save locally I don't have the bandwidth allocation or ability to stream. There is some other work up there so feel free to view if you like, just don't expect much <grin>.

Miguel Lombana
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
I liked the look and was surprised by certain shots. I did get a feeling you were
trying to emulate looks like Sin City & A Scanner Darkly, but was glad to see
you also went your own way.

I had a hard time following and enjoying the story though. I felt the acting was
rough in spots and sometimes hard to follow what was being said (might be
partly due to English being my second language).

Good luck with the movie, good your making stuff!
What spots did you think the acting was rough? Maybe I have alternate takes that are better.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work