Show Your Work 2007 - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old March 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #286
Major Player

Whoa! That's pretty crazy! The guitarist wanted the close up shot of the guitar like that to mimic some shots from an older Pantera video.

Thanks Ben! I looked at your website for the first time just the other day after seeing your post about the Iowa metal band. You do some great work!

And you are correct, the speed changes were just done in timeline after recording the band playing the song in double time.

The last photoshoot I did for the band was in that same garage (belongs to the bass player) so we thought it would be a good place for this video shoot as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Your Work 2007-b-wlogoweb2.jpg  
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #287
Inner Circle

Jason, Daniel,

I'm glad you both enjoyed it!

Here's one thing we learned. Our narrator first read the lines like for an action piece. It seemed okay at the time. He used the same style as in the Colonel Crush Sword in the Stone OF ACTION! trailer. http://colonelcrush.com/movie/index/00030002

Everything seemed okay, until I started composing the music. The VO style was just wrong.

I had Matt come over a re-read the voice over - this time slowly and ominously. The difference was night and day.

The timing of the lines was easily twice as long in duration as the original. I lengthened each title as needed, and e-mailed Nathan, the director/editor, the number of frames to add. Nathan re-did the titles while I finished the audio.

Anyway, a tip for directors and announcers is to know the voice over styles for the variety of genres that you might produce. It doesn't matter how great the voice over talent is, if they don't go for the target style.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM   #288
Regular Crew

Exposure Special Scheduled on SciFi Channel and Sundance Channel

We just got word that the Exposure special featuring mine and Leslie Goff's HeroFest entry, RFeyeD, and the other 8 winners of the online short film contest last November, will air on SciFi Channel and Sundance Channel in April at the following times:

* Sunday, April 22, midnight
* Thursday, April 26, 8:30 a.m.
* Friday, April 27, 3:00 a.m.

So, please stay up late or set your TiVos...

We had to shoot a brief introduction to the film that will run just prior to our film, as well as a short outro that will run after.
So take a look and let me know what you think.

Voting for the Grand Prize Winner will take place that week at both the SciFi Channel and Sundance Channel Web sites. Thanks for all of your support!

http://www.puffinfilms.com/HeroFest/RFIDbanner.jpg
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM   #289
Major Player

right on John!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM   #290
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback.

Pantera! That must be where I got it, 10 years ago and stored in my subconscience...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #291
Major Player

Where everything from Pantera should be :)

Check out the '5 Minutes Alone' video.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM   #292
Regular Crew

Need critique on newest HD videoBlog from Florida,New York,

The most visually intense Video Blog ever made.

Hey guys,

I just finished my newest creation of the video bloging world. It is a montage of last summer. There are shots from Chicago, New York, and Florida. I would Love to hear what you think Honestly. Love to hear any corrections that can be made with editing. I love to hear the negative more than the positive because it helps me improve. But the positive is nice too.

Here is the link

http://www.vilekyle.com/Vid%20Blogs/...gain/index.htm
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM   #293
Regular Crew

35mm adapter? Some of that DOF was intense.

Very very good, well edited, well shot, lots of very interesting shots to keep it moving, looks like you had a great time.

A few of your shots though were completely out of focus. 100% out of focus, and there are people talking or people in a group. You really need to have SOMETHING in focus unless it's an abstract shot. It was really hard to look at those.

But the rest of the time, absolutely fantastic. I had fun watching this, I think you did a really good job. I can only imagine how many tapes you went through :)
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM   #294
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gast View Post
35mm adapter? Some of that DOF was intense.
yes. I used the redrock.
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #295
Regular Crew

Kyle, first I'll say I enjoyed the video blog very much. Thought there were a lot of great shots, colors, and effects through camera work. But you said you wanted negatives from us, so I tell you what I thought. Thought the fast cuts and quick focus in then out is very effective, but for seven mins it's a lot from the viewer, after about 3 mins kind of had me uneasy. Felt like I would go for long periods of time without really seeing anything in focus. Also thought you could lead us a little more with more of a story. The dialog was kind of random, and probably means more to you guys, but could have kept me more entertained with either a message, or more tied into the trip and video (which at first it seemed like there was going to be a message with the college talk.) Sound and music were great. Thought some of the shots were too shaky to use. Liked some the the effects of going back and forth to the same type of shot but with different settings, but thought it would work better if it was more evenly spread through out the blog. Also maybe a little transition scene here and there between cities. In the car, on the plane, or however you guys got around everywhere. Great job, can't wait to see more.
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #296
New Boot

Showreel 2005-07 Camerawork/animation/compositing

Hi, my name is Alexander Chorny and I am currently a cameraman/editor/compositor (doing a bit of animation as well) for Blaze Productions, Malta (www.blaze.com.mt). I just finished my showreel which includes works done over last 2 years. Most are shot on Sony Z1U, some on Betacam. Editing, compositing and animation - After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Motion.

Most of works in the showreel are done by me from shooting to post-production, some are a team effort (ICTV - 3d studio is done by our 3d artist, Virus - I'm a "floating camera", all post-production is done by Black Media).

H264(mp4) - http://rapidshare.com/files/22592528...wreel_H264.mp4
WMV - http://rapidshare.com/files/22594255/ACShowreel.wmv
Online - http://www.livevideo.com/video/C0F11...?m_tkc=1907367

I will appreciate any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Your Work 2007-screenshots.jpg  

Last edited by Alexander Chorny; March 24th, 2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: forgot to put in the links ))
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #297
Regular Crew

First of all, it's a good thing I really wanted to see this, 'cause it took far too long to download. Took me way too long to find the link to actually get through that website to the download itself. Anyway...points off for that :)

The reel itself.

Wow.

Kudos on the "first impression" factor, I was completely blown away. Very professional, very very good, really well-paced and full of really good content. If that doesn't land you jobs, nothing will. Nice work, I really enjoyed watching this.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #298
New Boot

Rapidshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gast View Post
First of all, it's a good thing I really wanted to see this, 'cause it took far too long to download. Took me way too long to find the link to actually get through that website to the download itself.
Sorry about that, the reason I had to use Rapidshare was that I don't have any hosting. I just added a livevideo.com link above so now I hope it's not a problem... even though the quality of online video is far from perfect. H.264 is way better.

Thanks a lot for encouraging! I made it basically because I'm thinking to move back to Kiev (Ukraine, my country) and needed something to represent my skills while searching for job opportunities. Also in a year or two I'm thinking to find a job in Canada or Australia (I'm finding it very interesting to work in different countries and get a very different experience). Cheers!

Last edited by Alexander Chorny; March 25th, 2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #299
Regular Crew

How big is the file? I could throw it up on my webspace just for kicks, it's got really good download speeds and such. No charge, just helping somebody out. Let me know :)
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #300
New Boot

hosting

Thanks a lot for suggestion! If it's not a problem, I would appreciate it, cos now it seems like most people go for livevideo.com option which is the worst quality and shifted colours. Cheers and thanks again!

UPD. Ok no problem I found a hosting. Thanks anyways!

Updated links:

http://www.havefunvisuals.com/ACShowreel.wmv
http://www.havefunvisuals.com/ACShowreel_H264.mp4

Last edited by Alexander Chorny; March 26th, 2007 at 04:50 AM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work