Show Your Work 2007 - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM   #916
Major Player

Custom Truck Show Coverage

Yo,
I just finished shooting a truck show for my employer. I was there all day covering the event and ended up with about 3.5 hours of footage. I'm just using a cheap Canon ZR85.

So I just went through and logged all of the footage. Now to start telling a story and putting it all together. I'll be using Adobe Premier Elements for editing.

Below is the vid I did last year. It ended up right around 22 minutes and I was more than happy with the results. I used the same Canon ZR85 and iMovie (the creative dept. here had a spare Mac that I used.)

We never did any video work before I did this truck show video, and the whole company (myself included) considered the video a "success."

This year they bought me my own PC and got me Premier, so they are spending at least a little bit of money on me. Plus I've started doing product information vids to put on our website. Hopefully I can get an XL2 worked into next year's budget...:)

Anyways, I'll post the new one when I'm done putting it together.

Here's last year's video. It's 22 minutes long and YouTube only allows 10 minutes, so it's broken into three parts: And my product info vids are on the same YouTube channel, so check those out too (if you're trying to go to sleep...:))

Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqcyAJKaKPY

Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqRagUk98k

Part 3:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fg-Llagv2I

I really appreciate any feedback. I haven't messed with any video work since High School and that was 10 years ago, and we used 3/4" tape, and it wasn't digital, and so on...Thanks!!
Old September 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM   #917
Trustee

At first I thought when they were coming up on plane at the start of the race that it was at full throttle. I guess the engine is so powerful that it wold probably just cavitate if you just slammed on the throttle. That is one angry sounding beast!

I don't think the CMOS shutter really had a negative impact on the video. It wobbled a bit but things like that are understandable given the conditions. I agree that another camera angle with a bit of side view would give a nice indication of speed. Maybe a second cam at 3/4 view aft would work since it would get a shot of some wake and the riverbank at the same time?
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM   #918
Regular Crew

"Which Doctor" Music Video by Mark Bragg

Hey everyone. The past week I was grouped up with a local musician to produce a music video in 3-4 days, and tonight it was screened at the Seahorse Tavern in Halifax. The event was organized by the Atlantic Film Festival and Norwood Cheek.

The musician is Mark Bragg, his band was unable to make the shoot but I think the video itself turned out very well.

Please let me know what you think!
http://tomchukfilms.com/blaps/Mark_B...in_Tomchuk.wmv

Thanks,
Justin
Old September 22nd, 2007, 07:02 AM   #919
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
At first I thought when they were coming up on plane at the start of the race that it was at full throttle. I guess the engine is so powerful that it wold probably just cavitate if you just slammed on the throttle. That is one angry sounding beast!

I don't think the CMOS shutter really had a negative impact on the video. It wobbled a bit but things like that are understandable given the conditions. I agree that another camera angle with a bit of side view would give a nice indication of speed. Maybe a second cam at 3/4 view aft would work since it would get a shot of some wake and the riverbank at the same time?
The view through a hard mounted lipstick camera(Helmet camera) from Sony the camera is very impressive. There is no shaking at all. Mounting has everything to do with asourbing all of the shock. The best thing to use is a towel believe it or not. I would like to use 3 cameras next time 1 looking at a profile view of the driver, 1 looking straight ahead,1 facing the rear of the boat off center.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM   #920
Trustee

35mm short, about 18 year old anorexia sufferer

This is being broadcast on Wednesday this week on Channel 5.

I shot it in Wales yesterday, edited it today.

Using the JVC hd201e, Brevis 35 (old version, as my new one refuses to charge for some reason) CF1L and 3 lenses. Zeiss 50mm, 85mm and Sigma 20mm.

All vignettes are done in post as is colour correction.

All shot with available light!

http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Phil..._Shorts_2.html

thanks,

Phil
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM   #921
Trustee

Did I watch the right thing? I clicked on the link and was led to a short of people and images around the lock on a Sunday at dusk.

You could pass that off for film, if that is your intention. Was all that vignetting intentional? It did not look like it. You know it can be corrected in post.

I also think the Four Seasons is an overused piece of classical music.

Keep up the good work...
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM   #922
Trustee

er...no...that's called "Richmond Lock" as listed.

The short is still actually in the process of being uploaded to the web server...any moment now...you will know because there is a girl in it called Ali who suffers from anorexia.

SORRY ABOUT THIS: iweb crashed just as it was finishing uploading, now having problems with it

Last edited by Phil Bloom; September 22nd, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:22 PM   #923
Major Player

Just watched it, interesting story. Beautifully shot and told!

I have recently read up on Karen Carpenter and her battle with Anorexia.
After she put the weight back on her heart gave out on her at the age of 32. The years of starvation wore her body down.

It is incredible to see that decades later this problem still exists and very little ground has been made.

Sad...

Very professional looking clip.

Mike
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:05 AM   #924
Trustee

If anyone lives in the UK it should be broadcast on Channel 5 at around 1100, 1730 and 1900 this Wednesday 26th September.

If it changes I will let you know.

Phil
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #925
Trustee

Nice job, as usual. In this case the visuals really are an important part of the story to illustrate the seriousness of the disease.
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #926
Major Player

short montage from our holiday

Hi.

Just thought I would post this for some feedback or comments.
Used a small hd cam so unfortunately manual control was difficult and unable to do focus pulls.

http://www.derienzo-videoproductions...dolce vita.wmv

Thank you.
John De Rienzo

Last edited by John De Rienzo; September 24th, 2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #927
Major Player

Not bad. Just sort of a montage? Nice visuals, though.

What was this shot with?

It looks like it was interlaced and you used Magic Bullet to deinterlace. If you pause it in several areas with frees, you can see the warping effect (eg 2:38). I feel your pain there. It's been trouble for me too recently.

Editing flows well with the music.

The shine effects add to the mood well.

The mood does jump around from shot to shot, with light rays in one then medium exposure in the next, though.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #928
Major Player

Hi Daniel,

Thx for your reply. Yes it is a montage!! I should have stated that.

Yes de-interlaced with magic bullet, and yes some niggles, but still prefer it this way!

Because we were on holiday, I would never bring my pro gear with me, so had to make do with a sony HC3e with nightmare manual controls, but hey, its just our holiday!

Thought I would share it anyway. I would have been more inclined tio use the ray effect on more shots, but then I start to panic...do not want to turn it into some kind of special effect video!

Thx again.

John De Rienzo
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #929
Major Player

The ray effects seemed suited for the shots you chose, but just didn't match the shots on either side. A bit of transition would help there (having them fade at the end or fade out at the start of the next clip, etc.).

Yeah, deinterlaced is better. Just no fun when it's all warped.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #930
Regular Crew

Thanks Andy!! Nice work you got yourself there too! good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Swinburne View Post
boss video that mate....well done, won't see much better quality footage from the dvx1oob, heres mine...different genre..

http://www.myspace.com/thereelpunk

all shot with dvx100b..not bad but it's a start, anyway i replied to share this...

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ssor_gary.html

thats a great step-by-step to get the most out of uploading that vid to myspace/youtube...best of luck and well done again :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work