Show Your Work 2007 - Page 65 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old October 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #961
Major Player

Thanks to digital video for gapless subclips.
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #962
Inner Circle

Straight 8 is a GREAT way to teach filmmaking discipline. I own a half dozen Super 8 cams, and I like to give that challenge to student filmmakers. "Here's your ONE cartridge, here's the theme, sit down, write out something around the theme, shoot it and drop it in the lab at the end of the day. We'll screen it in a week when it gets back".

Nothing like the limitation of in-camera editing to emphasize pre-produciton.

Great story on the festival. I think you captured the essence beautifully. Informative on more than one level. A terrific piece that not only explains, but demonstrates the subject.
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #963
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
It would be interesting to know Phil what your shooting ratio was - ie how much material you ended up recording over to produce the final edited film.
And I reckon we could all benefit from having a go at this....I'm sure it really helped you focus on what was necessary & essential - rather than falling into the trap of shooting masses of tape and then trying to sort it out in editing or post.
Thanks Sean, the whole point of straight 8 style was it was one take and one take only. No recording over, ever! I rolled for exactly 2 minutes 27 seconds! I didnt look back at any takes and the first time we saw it go out was when it was transmitted live on the programme. The head of five news made a commitment to broadcast it no matter how it turned out. It was an experiment, a fun one, but very hard.

There is a making of which should explain the issues we came up against. Everything had to be storyboarded and written the day before. We even did a taped rehearsal with stand in interviewees. On the actual shoot we rehearsed each scene half a dozen times before we went for an actual take. Once that take was recorded we moved on regardless of how clean it was. There were a number of mistakes with timings and audio levels in the piece as everything was mixed live by me on the camera, camera mic turned on and off, lip mic, radio mic or whatever faded in. The rhythm was the hardest thing, it was out on a number of takes. But to get audio to come in on exactly the right "beat" was so so hard.
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #964
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
Thanks to digital video for gapless subclips.
XDCAM made it completely gapless. When I turned on and rolled I knew it would be like Super 8 and start exactly where it left off. Tape would have been a different matter. I would have had to press return video on the lens to back up and make sure it was timecode joined. Not ideal at all! Also the XDCAM system meant when I rolled it was a split second before it started recording. When I turned off it turned off instantly.
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #965
Major Player

Trailer for "RETURN TO LAKE HAVASU"

http://www.returntolakehavasu.com/index.html

This is a trailer for a documentary about story behind the making of the 1971 heist movie called "Day of the Wolves". I've just started post on the project and wanted some kind of trailer up on the project site. Currently a little long at 4 mins, and very rough in places, but feedback welcome.
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #966
Major Player

My first practice video

Here's a video I made with two friends who agreed to help me out learning filmmaking. Practice really helps. This is my first video based on a quick idea I had. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oqD-DKu-co
Art version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNfdDGB3nIs

Shot with Canon XHA1

The main problem I had was exposure. It was hard to get equal exposure for various scenes and the worst came out the scenes where I was strictly following exposure meter and zebra stripes.
So I guess I have to trust my eyes more than the exposure detector.
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #967
Major Player

Bodybuilder cramps up during competition!

This is a brand new excerpt from the bodybuilding documentary Raising the Bar 2.

Behind the scenes at the 2006 Masters Nationals in Pittsburgh, Dave Pulcinella encounters a recurring problem. Having brought his bodyfat and water to extremely low levels for the contest, his muscles begin to rebel and tighten up at the worst possible moment. Will Dave be able to continue or will he have to bow out of the competition as he was forced to do at his previous contest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cluyc24vqc

www.mikepulcinella.com

Would you like to get 3 years of monster muscle gains in just 3 short months? Guaranteed?
http://gatomjp.smorr.hop.clickbank.net
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #968
Trustee

You were able to make something foreign to me have a human side. I am not interested in nor do I understand body building. By showing the kinds of problems that happen behind the scenes you made the subject more identifiable. Even though it is hard to watch the pain he is going through, it gives the subject more dimension to see his struggle. Good work.

Last edited by Marcus Marchesseault; October 10th, 2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #969
New Boot

Unlike Marcus, I can relate to body building (not the steroide side though), and the films you have made are truely epic. I really liked them and, since today, I'm a subscriber att YouTube. Great work, especially in mixing v.o. with the shots.
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #970
Major Player

Thank you very much Marcus and Peter!

I have been told that these films appeal to the average viewer as well as to fans of bodybuilding and of that I am very proud. I never intended to make a "bodybuilding" video but just wanted to tell a good story.
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #971
Regular Crew

Mesmerizing.... almost a touch of haunting.

Was a bit challenging to discern the words the Drummer was expressing yet the imagery along with the dreamy beat gave me a sense of someone who's perception of the physical world was going out of focus as they were transitioning to the spiritual world.

I liked it.
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #972
Trustee

Brevis 35mm: Anorexia Part 2

Part 2 of a series of short films for UK's Channel 5 about Ali, 18 year old sufferer of Anorexia Nervosa.

Shot using the JVC HD201e and the Brevis 35mm adaptor. Diffuser CF3L

Sigma 20mm F2, Nikon 35mm F1.4 and 50mm lenses F1.4.
Zeiss 50mm F1.4 and T2, 85mm F1.4
Nikon 105 F2

Graded with vignettes in FCP6

http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Phil...xia_films.html
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #973
Major Player

That's what I was going for. Thanks!
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #974
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Underwater H.264

For those lucky enough to EDIT with a PC and use EDIUS.
Here is a underwater Quicktime Clip I rendered straight out of the HDV timeline in one very easy and straight forward process.

Specs 40 meg, H.264, 1.5mbps.

http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videos/under.mov

Whats it look like on ya MACS?
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #975
Trustee

Amazing Subject

Amazing subject, well put together, compelling story.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work