Show Your Work 2007 - Page 68 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old October 18th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #1006
New Boot

I watched the trailer. I thought it was pretty good. Looked great. Funny.
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #1007
Major Player

I liked it, I'm not one for tv shows, but I think you're onto something, I could see that getting picked up.
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #1008
Regular Crew

We had tripods with us that day, but we decided not to use them because we agreed the handheld style would suit the movie well..

Maybe could look better with the use of a tripod.
Never know..

Thanks for the comment!
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #1009
Regular Crew

Big Iron

Well, here is a cut from a concert i did recently in Dallas. I am dissapointed that I had to cancel my hd truck 8 camera budget at the last minute. I shot the concert with 2 F-900's and a Z-1. I also had to scale the lighting back and so the Z-1 gets pretty soft depending on the lighting. There's not a lot more I can do since there were only 3 cameras but anyway, what do you think?

web.mac.com/yasgur
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #1010
Major Player

Thanks guys... glad you liked it.

Yeah, there was one studio that implied they would buy it, but they didn't think they could sell it to a network because the logline is too much like Chuck (even though the show itself is not).
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1011
New Boot

Thanks, we were going for a hitchcock kinda thing. I only mentioned the competition because I posted a thread about a few little shorts I had made earlier and no one commented or anything. I liked you short, it was well shot. What did you shoot it with? I really like the colors.
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1012
Slash Rules!

old/new short film

Ok, so I shot this and sorta edited it in a hurry for fest back in 2005, and spent some time last year and more in the past month making it much better. So I present it here.

http://www.joshbass.com/alarmclock.wmv

35mb
15 minutes
WMV format
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1013
Inner Circle

SNL Digital Short Parody: Garland Punches

Disclaimer:

Do not under any circumstances try this anywhere!

Absolutely no one was hurt during the filming of this parody.

This is my parody of the Andy Samberg sketch "People getting punched just before they eat." Shot with a HDR-HC7 and edited in 1080 24p.

http://stage6.divx.com/user/jackvanc...video/1755486/

Direct Download: http://video.stage6.com/1755486/.divx

Just in case you haven't seen the original, go on NBC's Youtube channel or website to check it out.

Oh the drama of trying to direct Grade 9 students to act...

Last edited by Jack Zhang; October 19th, 2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1014
Major Player

Here are my thoughts. Please take them as constructive.

1. The sound has to be fixed. It sounds like what you did, which is ADR, but not good ADR. You are watching an image of guys OUTSIDE in the desert, but their voices sound like they are in a bathroom. That completely threw me off, especially since the opening shot had me in a positive way, until they began to talk. Maybe it was youtube transfer but it sounded bad.

2. The deliberate blurring to get a shallow DOF also has to go. It looks like bad effects. If it is just the youtube transfer then I apologize.

3. The music also has to go. It’s too distracting and doesn't fit. It sounds like a bad horror murder mystery from the 40s. Maybe just use sound effects if you can't fund the right music.

4. The acting you can't change, but next time, spent time working on getting better actors. People don't judge a movie by the 'effort" t hey judge by what they see. I commonly hear, "we couldn't afford to cast the film" or we didn't have time to cast." That is the biggest mistake. People can deal with good actors but poor production, but they cannot deal with bad acting and good production.

5. The Special effects need work, but I would suggest getting rid of them if you can't improve them. Edit in a way so you don't need to see the effects, cause they are humorous (not good). The lens flare doesn’t work and been done a million times. It comes off as amateur and you don’t want that.

6. The premise of the story has been done so many times, so next time try to come up with something original. Better yet, write about something unique that happened to you or a friend, not what you have seen in other movies you like.

On the positive side, the camera moves were better than most I see and the over all cinematography was good. Again especially the opening shot, which gave it some professional feel to it. Other than that, I think you should do a few things different next time.

a. Come up with an original idea
b. Spend time writing and rewriting and have people critique the script.
c. Take your time casting
d. Take time to rehearse

Hope that helps
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #1015
New Boot

Thanks for checking out my movie. It was my first big effort so I knew it would have problems.

1. We had did this in about 12 days. From the first day of shooting was 9 days. And that was the deadline.

2. The audio on day 2 which was the first 1:45 and the last 40 seconds or so was almost completely shot. And without time to do it again (that pesky deadline) we had to overdub by watching ourselves speak. Unfortunately it made the acting cheesy and the audio sound very unnatural. You'll notice that once we are in the canyon, it goes to natural audio and is much better.

3. You're right that we did not rehearse at all. We were learning lines between takes which is not good.

4. Some fake-DOF was to hide logos on the actresses shirt. But others were on purpose.

5. I have to argue with you on my music though. I thought I did a good job. Better than the techno loops and crap most indie movies I see use. I recorded it myself and I've received many complements on it. Also I did 6:17 of music in a day and half which is really something. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion.

6. As far as my effects, some are good, some not. Hey I'm new. And every shot had effects. It was all day to night converted. Sky replacements were my best effects. The wraith just needed a little extra to look like more than just a guy in a costume.
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #1016
Trustee

I got your idea of doing handheld on the closer shots. It felt natural there, but long shots with slow action made me start thinking about the camera. It was mostly the shots at the gas station in the beginning where less movement seemed appropriate. Maybe a monopod would split the difference between too static and too jerky? Were you zoomed in? Zooming amplifies camera movement.

By the way, I'm curious if I was starting to understand the story. What ideas were you trying to convey? Was it something about learning to adapt to adversity?
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1017
Trustee

I'm assuming that the Z1 is the camera in the balcony? It really didn't look bad, but that camera position wasn't as good as the others.

I listened with headphones and the audio sounds good. That's most important.

Were you directing the cameras through a live switch or was this three separate tapes you edited together?
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #1018
Trustee

I think this is perfect as an old b-movie. It has the look and feel of a 60s/70s b-movie. I think some of the digital effects should be removed to make it look appropriate for a period low-budget scary movie. The day-for-night and imperfect ADR go exactly with the style of music. I'm not joking, I think you have a perfect kitschiness with everything and should just have the glowing eyes and red robes effects. The digital spurting blood and warped face at the end ruined the effect for me.

Change the effects and this movie would be perfect as the movie that plays on the TV of your next movie.

Hey, I just had an idea. We should get DVInfoers to share videos so we can cross-promote each other. Play your movies inside other people's movies! We could also get people to shoot scenes like fake news footage for each other.
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #1019
Trustee

Probably the most horrifying movie I've seen on DVInfo.net. The worst dream I ever had was much like that.

The only thing I thought sucked was the music at the end. I think those lyrics weren't very original and the singer has a whiny voice.
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #1020
Trustee

The web site didn't seem to want to load in my browser and the download would be over an hour and a half. 314 megabytes may be a bit large for most but I'll try again tomorrow.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work