Show Your Work 2007 - Page 80 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 29th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #1186
Tourist

How about this video!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO9L3ED74Tk
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #1187
Tourist

the narrowest bystreet in the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwYK-OMC_I
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1188
Regular Crew

Well, this for me is one of those videos where the format is more important than the content. You've got lots of unmotivated zooms, just pulling out to reveal...? and the tripod work is really unsteady. I'd much rather see a video in SD that was smoother, and a little less aimless. It just seems like a bunch of meandering shots without any real subject. I'm not talking about putting people in your shots, but just that each shot should have a specific theme, like the guy paddling the canoe.

I've never used your tripod, but I bet its 95% responsible for the shakiness. To be honest, I thought at the start that is was handheld footage. If you can, rent a really high end tripod for a day (William F. Whites may be able to help you out) and see what you can do with it. I use a Miller Arrow 30, and won't touch those Bogen's, but some people can make them work. I couldn't.

Some of your shots looked a little underexposed, but that could also be just the compression. I just think that you still need to tell a good visual story when shooting... just rolling in "HD" isn't enough. And ease up on the zooming. If you like to zoom too much, go out and shoot for a day without doing any zooming at all... it'll really help you think of interesting camera angles and framing the shots. I'm not trying to be harsh or mean, I think you're trying to go in the right direction, just: less zooming, better tripod, make light work for you, and don't get caught up in the format. (though I believe they've now switched to HD, OPB down here did tons of work in SD that was just stunning...)
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1189
Trustee

While I am not a fan of hip-hop music, I can say that your video is energetic and looks very professional. You used a few unusual camera angles that were appropriate for the varying geometries of the dancing but didn't get too chaotic. Nice work.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #1190
Trustee

It looks like you are getting a MacBook! Perhaps I am early and I don't want to curse your chances, but your video does seem the best overall. The video in second place is a good concept but yours is better executed. How did you get performers for your video if it is an outside submission contest? Is that a stand-in band?
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1191
Regular Crew

Experimental Short about a Chatroom (Germany)

Sorry for the double thread...

Last edited by Volker Krieger; December 1st, 2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1192
Major Player

need quick input - filming saturday morning

I just want to know if the angles all seem to work properly, or did i reverse some shots by accident. Sorry about the poor audio quality, but it is a test after all

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=23066682
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1193
Inner Circle

I was a beginner, I just got my HC7 when I posted this.

I just edited to the music, and did generic pans. It is sort of a travel video after all.
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #1194
Inner Circle

I agree with Bert. The handheld shots and the lack of a story made it feel like an amateur Super 8 production. I don't mean to knock it. This can be useful in a first person point-of-view scene.

Smooth pans and zooms are super critical for a travelogue feel. And an expensive tripod is the key.

Of course, you could stabilize it with software and crop as needed, but that's a fix, not the goal.

BTW, we have a Cultus Lake and Creek down here in WA state as well. It's a nice hike, but avoid it in June. The mosquitoes are hell!
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:28 AM   #1195

I suggest you invest in the book "The Five C's of Cinematography" and read it thoroughly.

And stay away from mirrors!
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1196
Regular Crew

The download links are restored...
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1197
Major Player

mirrors?

and I can`t buy and read that book in a day (in fact i already filmed part of it today)

*edit* ooooh mirrors....actual ones. This is just a test video as it states twice on the page actually...its not the location its being filmed in ;)
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1198
Major Player

Hi Devin, I really like the lightbox back lighting of the band. Despite only having a consumer handicam at your disposal your choice of lighting, and the good use of post production techniques the opening of your video makes it look really slick and professional, only the narrative bits inside the house give away that it wasn't shot on a higher quality format.

Great work, and congrats on the win.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1199
Major Player

Urban Nature - Take a look around you!

http://www.stage6.com/user/WhizkidMe...ure-All-Around

I was filming random footage, trying out some new picture profiles and testing 50i->23.976p using Cineform, grading done with Magic Bullet. I was also experimenting with Magic Bullet Looks, as I hadn't tried it yet. I decided to make it into a faux demo reel/promo for a show that doesn't exist. :) Filmed with a Z1. Let me know what you guys think!

Carl
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1200
Inner Circle

Your site will not work for me.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work