Show Your Work 2007 - Page 83 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1231
Regular Crew

Ash,
Thanks for replying. Agree, sound is blown out in a couple of places. The camera was unmanned (on tripod) and I screwed up the setting of my lav mic. As for the hand-held shots...we were going for the "24" look so we used a mixture of handheld movements and short cuts to raise the pace and suspense. The music was created using Cinescore (Sony). I have to give my son (the spy) the credit for the music, editing (in Vegas Pro) and much of the direction. We are re-mixing the sound and music based upon some "sound" advice from Mr. Victor Milt (award winning producer). Will post the new version later.
Thanks again for your input.
Randy
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #1232
Major Player

2 Projects I Shot - Reviews Please

Hey all.
I have two projects that I've posted on my myspace site that I'd love to get some feedback on, constructive hopefully. :)

The first is titled "A FAIR PRICE." This is a Grindhouse inspired trailer that was fun to shoot and edit and is really meant in the spirit of over the top entertainment coming from the exploitation point of view. It was shot on my JVC HD100 camera and edited using Vegas 7 and Adobe After Effects/Photoshop.

The second is a 15 minute piece called "A STEP TOO FAR." This was the first 13 pages of a feature length script that I co-wrote that was entered in the Creative Screenwriting screenplay competition. The script grabbed a "Considered" grade in the contest, so we went out to make a marketing package to include this piece. Again, this was shot using my JVC camera and edited with the same setup.

These are the first two things I've shot. I have more stuff coming. 2 new shorts I'm getting ready to shoot and a music video/CD promotion that I'm excited about.

Please let me know what you think and thank you for viewing. You can see them on my myspace page.
Heath

http://myspace.com/neverfearstudios
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1233
Major Player

Hi Heath,

I did not have the time to watch both. I think you might find 15min's is a bit too long for someone to review here!

These are my thoughts on ' A fair Price'

I found the titles difficult to read, and the general font not great. Maybe it's just a you tube thing!

For a trailer it would not inspire me to want to watch the film. I thought the voice over was very poor!!! this can make or break a trailer.

Also not enough variety. Too many cuts with girl shooting from her gun and not much substance in between.\Where is the atmospheric soundrack? Please take this as a critique and not personal. I am sure others will have their different viewpoints on this.

Cheers.
John De Rienzo
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #1234
Tourist

new to the forums, short film

hey everyone!

i'm really glad to finally get on the forums. I wanted to get some feedback with my short film i recently made. it was shot on the canon xl-2 with the 20x optical lens and edited in final cut studio 2 (mainly final cut pro and motion)and magic bullet color correction. if you're curious about the logo it was done with a combo of photoshop, motion, shake and after effects. let me know what you guys think!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SS1jTQxAh3M

Devesh Verma
www.deveshverma.com
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1235
Regular Crew

my new site!

Well i finally have a way to stream my HD video from my Canon XH A1, i hope you enjoy...

http://wakevids.com
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1236
Regular Crew

I'm featured!

Hey guys, I'm featured on the front page of revver.com in the big video window. Show some love and give me a click. All the sketches we shoot are on the A1.
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #1237
Major Player

Gave me a laugh :) Now Im hungry for Ribbs....
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1238
Major Player

not sure what will happen still. I`m trying to start up a small video production company to try and get out of my crappy day job that pays squat. I need to estaablish myself enough that I could support us before she could live here. I already tried living there...but no BA degree makes it impossible to work legally, and the penalty for getting caught is minimum 5 year no-rentry. She will come here for 2 months next year and try it out and go from there I guess...just sucks waiting another 5 months to see her again :(
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #1239
Major Player

Looks awesome.

The Footage is really clean and actualy quite steady considering you're in a boat cruising pretty fast!

Well done.
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #1240
Major Player

very nice, like it alot!
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #1241
Trustee

1st short film 'Prick'

Hi all,

we just wrapped on our first short and some of the stills from the shoot are here:

http://www.mailath.com/gallery/

We couldn't have done it without the information contained in this great site and the advice from the members - thanks to everyone and it's onward and upward from here.

I'll upload some footage soon.

Shot on the Canon XH-A1 with the Letus Extreme, Canon lenses:

24mm 2.8
35mm 2
50mm 1.4

Indifocus rails & Followfocus
Libec LS38 tripod
Lowel DV creator 44 lighting kit & 2 800w redheads
homemade dolly & jib
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #1242
Regular Crew

Great Job!!!

What camera did you use? and did you use Magic bullet?

Gilbert.
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #1243
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Rienzo View Post
Hi Heath,

I did not have the time to watch both. I think you might find 15min's is a bit too long for someone to review here!

These are my thoughts on ' A fair Price'

I found the titles difficult to read, and the general font not great. Maybe it's just a you tube thing!

For a trailer it would not inspire me to want to watch the film. I thought the voice over was very poor!!! this can make or break a trailer.

Also not enough variety. Too many cuts with girl shooting from her gun and not much substance in between.\Where is the atmospheric soundrack? Please take this as a critique and not personal. I am sure others will have their different viewpoints on this.

Cheers.
John De Rienzo

Hello.
Thanks for taking a look at Fair Price. I guess you didn't read the blog I posted about it, so understandable. This was to actually be a 15 minute short, but after I got into the editing room I noticed that a good 85% of my footage was out of focus. So what we had to work with was pretty much that footage. If I'd have had more to work with, I'd have used other stuff.

Thank you for taking a look and giving me the feedback. I really appreciate hearing all viewpoints on my stuff. It definitely helps me grow as a film maker.
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #1244
Regular Crew

Brad - i just purchased a right handle pistol style grip that still photographers use. It was only $12 and someone who does a lot of filming like that suggested it, saying it helps. Cant wait to try it out.
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1245
Major Player

Devesh - Wow!

Very cool. Good actors and editing. I'm not a great fan of hand-held, so maybe a tripod would have helped. The voice on the phone was hard to hear, but I was able to get the message. Good work - keep it up.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work