Music Video (Tool) Feedback Welcome - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 12th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the comments. As for the sped-up slow footage, the key thing was having a camcorder that shot at a longer shutter speed. The one I used was Canon's original Optura, which could shoot with 1/8 of a sec shutter speed. It created a blur just perfect enough for that kind of action.

http://classic.mountainzone.com/gear...ics/optura.jpg
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

cool man. wonder if you had an even slower shutter
Nate Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Nope, the slowest on that model was 1/8th of a sec. The Optura Pi, the model that replaced it, wouldn't even go down to 1/15th of a sec, which blew my mind. The only other model that Canon released at that time which would go that slow was the XL1.

Having spent some time working in a camera/video store had it's rewards. ;-)
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

no i am sorry i did not clarify. i just meant slower shutter on any camera.
really man i loved the effects of the whole thing. i would really like to see some of your most recent work. if that was 4 years ago like me i have come a long way from that long ago as i suspect you have too.
Nate Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #20
Major Player

Kent, being a Tool fan myself really lets me appreciate your motivation for making this video. I think you did an excellent job of transferring the emotion that James Maynard Keenan does in the song through your own interpretation. This video has the feel of many of Tool's videos, so I really enjoyed it.

Too bad you couldn't finish it. I would also like to see some of your recent work, because despite some of the comments, I thought this was very well done considering the circumstance.

Also, what editor did you use?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #21
Regular Crew

The editor used is a long-since discontinued program called EditDV from Digital Origin. Completely Quicktime based. D.O. was bought out by Media100 in, I think, 2000. This program is what kept me from upgrading from WinME to WinXP Pro. It wasn't compatible with anything newer than ME. I've since found Vegas and I haven't looked back. It'll be a little while before I have anything new. I just recently acquired a new camcorder, which also has progressive scan like the Optura. I also still have my Optura, but it doesn't record well. However, a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable would enable me to connect the two camcorders and be able use that same slow shutter speed on the old camcorder, but record to the new camcorder. Kind of a pain, but if I have to, I can do it.
In any case, I don't have a project to work on. I've got some basic ideas, but nothing solid as of yet.
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #22
Inner Circle

That video kicked ***, to be perfectly blunt. Seriously, you did an excellent job with the in-camera effects. I would also like to say that you and the girl did an excellent job 'acting', which is often half the battle in getting good footage.

It did have some elements that highlighted it as a 'home video production', but it certainly didn't ruin the video for me. I might have to watch it again to figure out what those 'highlights' were, partly just for my own good so I can avoid that myself in the future.

One question. How did you shoot the close-up shot of the eyeball with the iris opening? That was a very well done shot, and I would love to know how you pulled it off. Thanks!
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
One question. How did you shoot the close-up shot of the eyeball with the iris opening? That was a very well done shot, and I would love to know how you pulled it off. Thanks!
That was actually done in post. I took a picture of the girl's eye, then in Photoshop I used the pinch tool to dilate her pupil frame-by-frame. Then I just inserted the frames in order on the timeline and rendered as an avi.
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Ah, well, very nicely done.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work