New SG35 short - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: SG35 setup

Sorry, I was too vague. How did you determine how far to zoom in on the GG?
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #17
Major Player

Excellent work! I actually liked the "Good shot! Good shot!" at the end, I found it even more disturbing that way. ;)

How did you pull off the shot from within the inside of the gun as he fires?

Very well done, LOVED the lighting as well.
Great work!
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #18
Regular Crew

the look of this footage is beautiful! well done! great depth of field shots, some of them taking on a graphic novel or comic book composition. good story, nice acting. the only drawback i saw, was the blood. thought it looked a bit too much like bbq sauce, like she just finished off a bucket of chicken. ;)

a small detail though for such a gorgeous short! can't wait to see more!
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:27 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks as ever for the feedback - keep it coming!

Paul - there is pretty much one sweet spot for zoom and focus (with the Z1 & SG35 anyway). I zoom in on the GG till it almost fills the frame. Then I focus on the GG. When that is crisp, I zoom a little more (never with the rocker) until the moment when the macro looses the ability to focus and throws everything out. Then I zoom out until the focus suddenly crisps up again, and that's my locked shooting position. Yes, its a long zoom, but even then it will never fill the frame. I have to zoom / enlarge in post by 17.5% which isn't ideal.

Mike - The inside of the gun is a slow backward dolly on full zoom along the inside of a black plastic drainpipe sped up by about 800% in post. Erm...that's it. Sorry it's not particularly impressive.

Eric - I hear you on the blood fella. But we were shooting under extreme time pressure, and about one minute before we had to get the shot the blood was still BLUE! My girlfriend was making it and she yells me over and holds up this bowl full of blue sludge. I'm standing under a big 2k light buring up with my arms aching from holding the camera handheld and balancing on a chair for the shot. I did the only thing i could. I threw half a bottle of soy sauce into it and we shot. I'll be more precise next time ;-)

Marco
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:39 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco van Belle

Mike - The inside of the gun is a slow backward dolly on full zoom along the inside of a black plastic drainpipe sped up by about 800% in post. Erm...that's it. Sorry it's not particularly impressive.

Marco
I slowed it down to take a look at it, very nice work! How did you get the lighting like that in the drainpipe? Looks great even in slow-mo.

Thanks for answering btw,

Mike
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Excellent.

Hope you get it around the circus of festivals.

Gunleik
Gunleik Groven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work