DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   You have to see it to believe it!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/7659-you-have-see-believe.html)

James Emory March 12th, 2003 02:51 PM

You have to see it to believe it!!!

The Site

www.405themovie.com/view.asp

The Movie

www.coreybryant.com/misc/405/405-hi[1].wmv

How they did it

www.405themovie.com/features.asp

James Emory March 12th, 2003 03:04 PM

Media & Data Rate Link

www.405themovie.com/view.asp

Ken Tanaka March 12th, 2003 03:20 PM

James,
Yes this short film, produced several years ago, is hilarious and really remarkable, considering the minimal financial and human resources devoted to it. (To all: please be sure to take time to read the "Making Of" story.) I've watched it many times and shown it to others many times. It stands as a monument to the value of determination over sheer resources.

Chris Hurd March 12th, 2003 03:30 PM

Done with a Canon Optura 1CCD camcorder, by the way.

Stewart McDonald March 12th, 2003 03:41 PM

Special effects were excellent. Gonna have to start saving up for those software packages they used now :(

Heheh

Robert Poulton March 12th, 2003 03:55 PM

They used Lightwave 3d. It is on the cheap end of the 3d packages. Everything they did in that film can be done with almost the cheapest of 3d packages. So save just enough but try out every demo of all the 3d packages you want to see what workflow you like. Because in the end its about workflow.

Rob:D

Henrik Bengtsson March 17th, 2003 07:59 AM

Yepp.

Lightwave 3D is a good example of "Cheap is not necessarily equal to bad".

Though today the expensive side is closing in on the cheap side. LW is approaching the $3000 mark at the same time that Maya is moving down to the $3000 mark.

I used LW for my only gig with screencredits actually. A 1 minute long fx sequence for a Brittish indie sci-fi called Designer Baby. Dunno if anyone here might have seen it but it won a few awards actually. Well, the movie did, not the FX :)
/Henrik

Rob Lohman March 17th, 2003 04:48 PM

LightWave 3D is an excellent package that is being used in a lot
of TV series and movies. Most noted are Star Trek (the series)
and Star Ship Troopers animated series.

Adrian van der Park March 18th, 2003 02:50 PM

I worked on those shows you mentioned below when at Foundation Imaging in California, and know Bruce Branit (who was one of the "two" who made 405).

Two things worth pointing out with that short movie is that:

1. yes the cg was done all in Lightwave, but they had access to the 2000 node render farm at Digital Muse (which is no more).

2. compositing was supposedly done in DFusion, but also enlisted the help of other professional compositors at Digital Muse using a Quantel Henry system.

This is not a rant, just a telling of the whole truth which was painted in a certain way for promotional purposes.

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : LightWave 3D is an excellent package that is being used in a lot
of TV series and movies. Most noted are Star Trek (the series)
and Star Ship Troopers animated series. -->>>

Chris Hurd March 18th, 2003 06:45 PM

Fascinating -- thanks, Adrian.

Robert Poulton March 18th, 2003 08:46 PM

Adrian,
The only question I have since Digital Muse is no longer is; Where is there 2000 node computer render farm? Did you get a slice of that pie?
What fun that would be I just wouldnt know where I could fit 2000 computers.

Rob:D

Adrian van der Park March 18th, 2003 11:45 PM

It's a long and sordid story, but the short of the matter is that the original owner was locked out and the nodes ended up getting trashed by the new owners. Now those machines are antiques, but still represent a significant investment.

So no, I did not get any of those machines. I had already moved up to Vancouver when that went down.

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Poulton : Adrian,
The only question I have since Digital Muse is no longer is; Where is there 2000 node computer render farm? Did you get a slice of that pie?
What fun that would be I just wouldnt know where I could fit 2000 computers.

Rob:D -->>>

Rob Lohman March 20th, 2003 10:47 AM

Adrian,

You worked at Digital Muse? Didn't they also do the palmpet
for Star Trek Insurrection movie or am I mixing things up here?

Adrian van der Park March 20th, 2003 11:13 AM

No, I did not work at DMuse, but many of my friends did. The thing with VFX artists from various shops is that we have worked with each other at some point and are don't care which shop one works for. I mentioned before that I worked at Foundation Imaging in Los Angeles.

Jose di Cani November 7th, 2004 08:26 AM

The movie had some amazing profesional looking effects. The frist effect when the plane first comes into action was a bit too harsh. Try to soften the edges a bit. The landing of the plane and crashin into the car was hollywood quality! The actor in the car was amateur. In the beginnin when he looks to the left and the right...that was really VHS-acting!! The grandmother acts much better and was nice to have that chance in there. Some scenes look pro and some minor details ruin it for the rest. Effects were amazing!