XL-2 Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
New Boot

XL-2 Footage

This is my first thing I've shot with this camera. It was a test to see how the camera responded in 24p and post processing to emulate a more "movie/film" like characteristic. I would appreciate some feedback.

Here's the footage (quicktime 7 required):
http://how2instruct.com/downloads/test1small.mov

Last edited by Ron Adair; October 30th, 2006 at 08:13 PM.
Ron Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:23 AM   #2
New Boot

ummm....

is it that bad? I'd love to hear that it's sweet...but I'll settle for "give up now".
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Wrangler

Okay, I watched it. Looked pretty good in most places. I didn't like the final rewind shot cause it didn't take me back to any place in particular. Also, in terms of file size and downloading, you left about 21 seconds of black at the end of the file. That's a bit much and is a waste of bandwidth. I also would have preferred a true 16:9 encode rather than 4:3 letterbox.

JMO,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks

Greg, thanks for the feedback. I agree with most of your comments, and figured someone would mention the black too. :) Still working on trying to get FCP figured out...I've done a lot with still images and slideshows, as I'm a still photographer of 13 years. Video has proven to be a bit of a leap.

This was a simple test with literally less than 1 minute of planning. We just wanted to get some raw footage to see how it handled in general, and what could be done with it in post. I am mostly interested in seeing how others feel about the "look and feel" of the footage. I know how it appears to me. How does it look to the rest of you? For a first test, am I going in the right direction to achieving the film look? Does this appear video-ish? Is the filming/cutting good, bad? I would really like some feedback on the quality merits, as well as any other suggestions as above. Thanks for taking the time. I've got a lot to learn.

So, in essence, how does this footage stack up against the other dv you guys are seeing here?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ron,

The footage actually looks really good, I think. And for little planning the cuts look good. A little too much time dwelling on the walking to the elevator I think, but if you were experimenting for styles of edits and look of footage I'd say this is successful in that regard.

What camera/setup were you using, by the way? Did you have a seperate focus pull mechanism or did you just use the focus ring specifically for the out of focus to in focus shot in the elevator?
Jason Dirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM   #6
New Boot

Jason,

Thanks for sharing. I agree that the storyline is poor, this being due to the fact that there was no real storyline, per se. Just testing things out. Thanks for the compliments and positive feedback. It's always good to hear.

As for the gear, I was using an XL-2 with the 20x lens. I didn't have anything but the stock lens/body...Boy, is it tough coming from photography where I only have to freeze and shoot for 1 shot, instead of 24...PER SECOND!

Yes, the elevator shot was strictly the "crap-shoot" style I've heard (and am beginning to find) is true with the Canons. One thing that kind of drives me away from wanting to purchase a Canon for myself. I would really like mechanical zoom/focus, as they are so much more reliable. I suppose this is more a personal preference in a prosumer camera, however. I'll be posting some more footage soon. I actually have an indoor/lit scene that I fooled around with last night. Check it out, and let me know what your opinions are, if you don't mind. (Once again, this is strictly test material, but I suppose most people will rag on it being too long here or too much there) I really would appreciate feedback on quality of footage, cutting, effects, lighting, exposure...critical feedback. I'm testing the limits of the camera here, so if you have tips on how to really dial this camera in, I'm all ears.

(Quicktime 7 required):
http://how2instruct.com/downloads/test2small.mov
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Very nice! I like your style. I would really like to see some more... maybe try something with a story. Keep up the good work.

How did you do the moon shot? Time lapse? The trees were very still.

Luke
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:52 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for the nice words Luke. I'll definitely be putting more up as I get a chance to shoot. I have an idea of how I may be able to expand my second clip (guy reading book), but we'll see once the footage is created. I must admit, as much work as it is to shoot video, I think I'm having way too much fun already. I'm enjoying this a lot.

The moon shot was just tripod mounted, and the clips were probably between 5-10 minutes each. The area where I was shooting was somewhat woodsy, and fairly shielded, so maybe that's where the "stillness" came from in the tree branches.
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:57 AM   #9
New Boot

New footage

Here is some new footage I've recently shot and cut together. I'd love all your input. Thanks.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...253#post582253

This is done with the XL-2, captured direct to disk on an Apple Macbook Pro.
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Adair

The moon shot was just tripod mounted, and the clips were probably between 5-10 minutes each. The area where I was shooting was somewhat woodsy, and fairly shielded, so maybe that's where the "stillness" came from in the tree branches.

Wow. Even thought there was no story, the footage was awesome. Looked great.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work