Our feature in THeaters DEC 8th..check trailer.. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 8th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obin Olson
thanks again for the words. really.

I wish the Director was on this board..;)
Obin, whatever you think, please do not think our comments are a reflection of you as a person, but we are judging a trailer, which should not sum up who you, the producer or the director are. Again, the comments are reflective of the work, not the persons. We all make mistakes as filmmakers, but they do not personify who we are as people, but only reflect certain choices we made.

In any event, you should not be discouraged by a few negative comments, especially since they are respectful and constructive. If more than a few people point out the same issues, there may be something to it.

I urge you not continue to work and strive to improve your work to archieve your goals and success, but leave room for disccussion of your work.
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Remember, we don't offer comments because we want to put the filmmaker down, but they construed as to encourage improvement and further success.
Absolutely. Hey Obin, just to let you know, I wasn't going to pipe in at all, but I agreed with what Jeff was saying, and he seemed to be looking for a little support, so I chimed in. But I can't stress enough that there are TONS of "good" movies out there that I just didn't like at all. I didn't mean my comments as a put down, more just as a support to Jeff that yep, I found issues with the story too. But from the responses that you're getting from audiences, maybe you just need to say "screw the critics". I'd take the posts in this forum with a pretty heavy grain of salt. If they'd posted "Open Water" here, we probably would have all responded with our little suggestions, but they believed in their film, and pushed it through against all odds. Sorry we're such a salty bunch! :)
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Johnson
If they'd posted "Open Water" here, we probably would have all responded with our little suggestions, but they believed in their film, and pushed it through against all odds. Sorry we're such a salty bunch! :)
I actually didn't think Open Water was that good, in fact, I thought it lacked a story. Not every real life event deserves to be on the big screen without a complete 3 act story, even if you have to fabricate drama to enhance the story. This obviously doesn't go well for documentaries. I would have told people that made Open Water that they needed a better and more distinct ending.
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #34
Trustee

Obin, I think the problem was your initial post. It was set up like "watch our movie that we made coming to theaters next month" not, "check out the trailer I cut for an indie family movie."

That is why my initial reaction was so harsh. I am well aware of projects that are not as good as they could/should be due to poor direction, lack of budget, poor script, not enough time, etc. I think we should all judge within the parameters of a particular project. Also, lets face it... there is a TON of production and not all of it can be or is even MEANT to be slick and for the masses. I shot some of The Ultimate Gift http://imdb.com/title/tt0482629/ and it looks to be a "b" movie but may do OK at the box office.

Facing the Giants is not a good movie, certainly not one that you would think would be in the theaters but... guess what? It has grossed over 70 TIMES its production budget in theaters and will probably triple or quadruple that on DVD.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #35
Trustee

And I watched it, in the theater here, on 35mm film.

Really it does not matter what anyone says, as long as we have some success with the film. That is all that counts for me. it's not my film.
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #36
Trustee

I learnd a ton. I can say that about making WHite Men...now I see that film making is not that hard, but it starts with a good story/script...we are in pre pre production on our next, mystery/thriller..
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obin Olson
...now I see that film making is not that hard, but it starts with a good story/script...
Would that it were that easy!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #38
Trustee

here is some interesting info.

the folks at MGM said after viewing the trailer:

"Looks like a good film, it's refreshing to see a trailer that ends in a climatic moment"

A HD version of the trailer is going to be on quicktime.com's film trailer page very soon.
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #39
Major Player

I agree. You should not even see the breakdance stuff till the end of the trailer. It should go in order for the most part.

But I don't care about any of that. I just want to see more of this chick!

http://www.whitemencantdance.com/ima...CD_Still_4.jpg
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #40
Trustee

Hey guys...want more to shred apart?

here ya go:
http://www.dv3productions.com/client...y_spa_cut3.mov

feel free to KILL it!!

This is OUR work. from start to finish.
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #41
Trustee

how 'bout this:
www.dv3productions.com/castle2.mov
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Obin,

The spa spot is great. Nice everything: camera work, lighting, editing, music....

In the spirit of finding something besides telling you it's great, here's two small things:

--i watched it a bunch of times. the first time, the first two shots felt quick. once i watched it again and knew the pacing, it worked fine, but if it's for tv, most people will probably only see it that first time. (the fades to black may have contributed to it feeling quick--for me).

--there's a shot in the middle (right after the Redkon product) that also seems kind of quick. like you were forced to if you wanted the next dissolve to match the music. it also feels a little too close-up (maybe in context of the other ones--it stands out to me).

Great job, though. No one is going to care about these little quips of mine.

What's the deal with the castle? Was it only supposed to last a few seconds? It looks awesome.
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #43
Trustee

it's the start of a vfx shot....2 sec yes that is all that will play
Old November 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #44
Trustee

"WHITE MEN CAN'T DANCE" MAKES WILMINGTON FILM HISTORY!
PREMIERES THEATRICALLY DECEMBER 8, 2006 IN SIX STATES

"White Men Can't Dance" is making Wilmington, NC film history as the first independent film to be fully financed, written & produced, cast & crewed, shot on HD & edited in Wilmington, to secure theatrical distribution in six states. The World Premiere will be at Carmike Cinemas, 111 Cinema Drive, on Friday, December 8, complete with a Red Carpet’ arrival of the Cast, Crew, Investors, and MEDIA at 6:30 pm and the Public Screening at 7 pm. Frank Capra, Jr. and other dignitaries will attend.

Premiering in digital theatres in NC, SC, AL, TN, TX, and GA, with strong box-office attendance opening week, "White Men Can't Dance" will open theatrically nationwide. Advance tickets go on sale November 28 at Carmike, as a portion of the profits will go the Children's Miracle Network to help terminally ill children.

Written, directed, and starring Peter S. Vinal, and produced by film veteran, Francine DeCoursey, "White Men Can't Dance" is a heart-warming family film, rated PG, about a former break-dancer who has just lost his Dad, his job, and now his precious six-year-old daughter is seriously ill and needs an expensive operation. Determined to raise the money to save his daughter's life, he calls on his former dance trainers to help him get in shape for an "old-school meets new school" break-dance competition with a large cash prize. The finale is a dynamic Break-dance’ competition featuring some of the best B-boys’ from NY, California, and Puerto Rico, incorporating innovative camera techniques to make the dancing look 3-dimensional.

In his directorial debut, Peter Vinal (a REMAX Real Estate broker, filmmaker, former break-dancer and musician) pays homage to some of his heroes: His inventor father and artist mother, Jerry Lewis’ comic antics, and Walt Disney. "White Men Can't Dance" features many talents from Wilmington's impressive film community in both cast and crew. Peter Vinal, Elizabeth Roberts, Tyhm Kennedy, Dick Olsen, Marc Whitehead, Maxwell Paige, Stacia Crawford, and introducing young Kaitlyn Cox as "Beanie"; Sarah Mather, Wilmington's own "American Idol" finalist, also performs.

DV3 Productions provided the impressive technical team with Larry Olson as Tech Dir., Obin Olson as Director Of Photography and Editor, Amariah Olson as Camera Operator and Animator; Joyce Marling as Costume Designer and Set Decorator, Joan Shay & Don King in Hair & Make-up, and Julia Tasker as Script Supervisor. As Producer, DeCoursey also served as Prod. Mgr, Casting Director, Locations Mgr, Accountant, Catering/ Craft Service, etc.

"We built a strong family of cast & crew, all doing many jobs, to bring the project in on time and on budget!" said DeCoursey. "That's the challenge and the magic of low-budget independent film. We also want to encourage the production of more wholesome, family films. There’s too much violence and negativity in the world. We need more films with hope and heart."

Executive Producers Peter Vinal and Jon Vincent secured all the funding locally for this family film from church friends and fellow realtors.

"This is for all of us! If we succeed, hopefully we encourage more investors to fund independent films in NC, allowing for the profits to return to the state. Though we surely want to continue to attract big-budget Hollywood productions to film in NC, we also want to see our regional film industry evolve into a more indigenous, independent filmmaking center," said Vinal. "We have everything we need to succeed. We just need to expand funding and distribution support! North Carolina can lead the way!"

For more info, visit: www.whitemencantdance.com

Go to - Youtube.com- Search "White Men Can't Dance Trailer" - then play it.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:38 AM   #45
Trustee

I was talking with some people this weekend and this project came up. They are hoping it will catch on in the church community and be supported like Facing the Giants. The generally consensus with the people I was talking to, one who had actually seen a cut of WMCD, is that is a bit obtuse, even for the church crowd. At this point, they arent even making film prints as I understand.

You have to love these press release things, someone helps cast extras on a couple local shoots and they are referred to as an "industry veteran" LOL...

I wish you the best of luck Obin and it is my personal feeling that your talent shines brighter than this project. As a christian myself, I wish these types of movies werent hyped up and theatrically released. Facing the Giants has no business in theaters, it is a TBN movie at best...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work