DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   new lo budget movie trailer shot with FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/80955-new-lo-budget-movie-trailer-shot-fx1.html)

Vincent Pascoe December 4th, 2006 02:47 PM

new lo budget movie trailer shot with FX1

a Low budget movie I shot last December on the FX1 just finished a new trailer..

be warred some adult language and some partial nudity.

http://www.thegovernormovie.com/

and

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1453562059

VP

www.vincentpascoe.com

www.myspace.com/vincentpascoe

John Hewat December 5th, 2006 03:02 AM

Looks fantastic! I love seeing what's possible with these cameras. I can only hope that I am capable of shooting something as good.

Mike Moncrief December 5th, 2006 07:01 AM

Hi,

Looks great..Its hard to believe you can get that great of a film look out of the camera.. Can you tell us more about how the camera was configured??
35mm adapter?? Post Production processing??

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief

Gints Klimanis December 5th, 2006 03:15 PM

Great look and feel. I can sense the evil seething throughout the movie.

Evan C. King December 5th, 2006 03:34 PM

Wow, very good looking footage! Give us all the production deets! Crew size, budget equipment etc. Send it all our way. Very interesting looking story too.
And wow the female lead didn't look that stacked in the rest of the trailer, she's low-key about that.

John Huling December 5th, 2006 04:04 PM

Will this trailer be released in HD?

Martin Pauly December 5th, 2006 05:45 PM

I am impressed! The first link (www.thegovernormovie.com) didn't work for me (saw the QuickTime logo, but no movie), but even on MySpace it looked pretty good - much better than any video I have seen on MySpace. What's the secret?

- Martin

Vito DeFilippo December 5th, 2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pauly
I am impressed! The first link (www.thegovernormovie.com) didn't work for me (saw the QuickTime logo, but no movie)- Martin

I think it's just incredibly slow. I happened to leave the page open while I was messing around, and about ten minutes later, it started to play. Looked much better than the MySpace one as well.

Beautifully shot. Hard to believe you can get quality like that out of a FX1.

Glenn Davidson December 5th, 2006 08:05 PM

FX1? ...Really? Not the HVX? WOW. That is fantastic. Great sound. Great editing....Great everything. Please tell us more.

Ainslie Davies December 5th, 2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
FX1? ...Really? Not the HVX? WOW. That is fantastic. Great sound. Great editing....Great everything. Please tell us more.

I don't really get that, I have always liked the FX1 over the HVX and it's resolution.

The trailer looks great! Perfect pacing of the pros. Just one thing, may want to de-interlace it and then repost it... interlace lines don't look too flash =p

Glenn Davidson December 6th, 2006 12:00 AM

In other posts, Vincent talks about having an HVX and adapter. Not slamming the FX1. I have one. I love it.

Vincent Pascoe December 6th, 2006 01:27 AM

Wow this post got a lot more love on this fourn then DVXuser!

Yes most of what you see on my myspace and website are from The HVX and M2...

When they where originally going to shoot there project the FX-1 had just came out they bought it and then Production was pushed almost 8 months Till after the Z1U had came out...

We had a very low Budget...but we did have a

3-ton Grip Truck
Gaffer
2 grips
2 great Art department people that could only afford to work like a week with us..

Sound guy that was very disappointed with the FX1's sound Options...

I didn't have the M2 during the Principal Photography but I did use the M2 adapter for one shot during the Pickups... I didn't have the right Bellows to make the Fx1 work properly luckily I wanted the Image to be really messed up with major vignetting so it worked great (the shots not in the trailer)

I thought the Myspace video was pretty dark and Contrasty the web site download is a big one..

I think the trick with Myspace is to use the Mp4 codec or the Cellphone/video I pod Codec...but its really wierd since they re compress it..

ah no color correction...Theres a couple shots that need it. the second shot with the car driving by needs to be De-saturated, and the interior car shot and the sunrise two shot need to be darkened and desaturated just a bit...I think...

yeah It makes me cry to not have shot the picture in 24p... Aculy I really liked the script it had been re-written 32 times... and on a low budget like it was every day I was just trying to struggle to get the footage to be as good as the Script and get enough coverage to do the script justice.

The one big advantage over the HVX is that it and the Z1U have very little Noise and shooting in 1080 really hides the Gain as well. We shot a lot of the film even at plus (I think 18db Gain!) and yes its gainy but acceptable something I could never do with the HVX because with over +6 Gain It's to noisy even for me..

you guys love how sharp the HDV cameras are ,but of course Sony putting all of those Pixels on the small 1/3 inch chips makes the camera not as light sensitive and have less latitude then the HVX...

as far as film look it really just helps to work on lighting and knowing your camera as well as possible. The director let me borrow the camera for a wile and really try my best at testing and building looks in camera with it...

the director didn't speak the best English but he had one of the biggest cinematic Knowledge base I've worked with. Which was great because he could be like Remember like that shot in "the Professional" Really Inspiring, he story boarded almost every shot.

VP

www.vincentpascoe.com

Mike Moncrief December 6th, 2006 07:47 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your response..After reading your post, I am not really sure if you used FX1 or HVX?? If you used FX1,can you expand a bit more on how the FX1 was actually used..?? Did you shoot using Cineframe 30?? Cineframe 24?? 60 i??
Maybe using a pal version of the camera?? How was film look achieved??

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief

Vincent Pascoe December 8th, 2006 03:38 PM

yes the movie was shot on the FX1 the entire thing... They where asking about The M2 adapter which can be seen here www.redrockmicro.com

Shot with NTSC, Cineframe 30 as 24 sucks

what you see there is no color corection

all the "film look" was done in camera and Lighting...

VP

www.vincentpascoe.com

Carlos E. Martinez December 9th, 2006 09:03 AM

Great job, Vincent! Congratulations for you and the whole crew!

What are the next steps to follow in distributing the film?

You shot in 16:9 and then cropped in post for the 2+ anamorphic?

Carlos