Nothing Gold (Music Video) HVX+M2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nothing Gold (Music Video) HVX+M2

Hey all,

Long time no post. Here's a music video we just finished for Texas band FauxFox.

http://www.cjroy.net/nothinggold.html

let me know what you think. Thanks.

-CJ Roy
CJ Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #2
New Boot

Really beautiful images! I'm really impressed. It's still loading, but I really like it so far. That's three really's now! I can see how I would have done a few things differently but thats just personal taste things. I'm desperate for an M2 now. Checking you other work out now.
Rudi Benade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

WOW!!

Great video. The group obviously had a budget in the tens of thousands.....

Best video I've seen on DVI in a long time.....
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Trustee

Good video, too bad the song is painfully long. There is probably a great 2:30 song in there! Video looks great, I love the low-key lighting in some of the scenes. As far as budget, you could pull this off pretty cheap I think...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Good video, too bad the song is painfully long. There is probably a great 2:30 song in there! Video looks great, I love the low-key lighting in some of the scenes. As far as budget, you could pull this off pretty cheap I think...

ash =o)
I was thinking the same thing until I saw all of the extras, vehicles, and location....
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Major Player

location is really nice, its like a died out town or something. Did you have to close down the street for shooting or something?

Did you shoot it in HD on p2 cards and then downconverted in post, or you shot it in SD?

nice job, one of the best videost i've seen in this forum.
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Andzei-

The location was a set in South Dallas previously dressed to make a section of a middle eastern city. The owner of the property, which was about 3 or 4 city blocks, liked it so much that he didn't want them to tear it down afterwards. He just now rents out the location to other productions. It gave us something to play with, visually. Of course looking down the street to the north, you can see Dallas' skyline... but almost every direction was a good shot. And yes, the streets were shut down for us. Although they don't have much traffic to begin with.

We shot in 720pn, on the P2 cards, which my assistant was constantly offloading and running back to me. We never had to wait on cards, because of him.

Thanks for watching, glad you liked it.

-CJ Roy
Old December 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

which m2 package do you have?

Which m2 package do you have (nikon, canon, PL mount, etc) Which lens Size did you use?

thanks
Ian
Ian Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

That's the best HVX+M2 footage i've ever seen.

More than great. Big Bravo!

theodoros
Theodoros Chliapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mora
Which m2 package do you have (nikon, canon, PL mount, etc) Which lens Size did you use?
We used the Nikon set. Our lens sizes were 20mm (Sigma), 35mm (Nikon), 50mm(Nikon), 85mm(Nikon), 105mm(Nikon), 135mm(Nikon) & 70-200mm(Nikon).

thanks for watching.

-CJ Roy
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #11
Major Player

I didn't know Devo was still around.

Tell the lead singer to eat a sammich!

Looks nice.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Awesome

Yeah,....hehehe,....they had a combined weight of around 200lbs. Not bad musically. CJ,...have you heard of another Texas band called Fair to Midland?,........well it's a big state so maybe not? Great band,..........anyways,....thanks for the lens info,....and the video looks AMAZING!!
Ian Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #13
New Boot

Hi CJ,

Haven't seen your work in months, maybe years.
Happy to see something coming our way. Excellent work as usual.
Hope to see another short or a longer film someday
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #14
Major Player

CJ, did you converted to SD before or after editing?
And what kind of device did you use to dump P2 cards?

thanks!
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Ian - Haven't heard of them. To be honest, I'm a bit out of the loop as far as bands go. I've found it much more rewarding to just work on music videos as a hired gun rather than to hunting/finding bands and labels, convincing them of a concept then dealing with their drama. This way I can just focus on my job and avoid the client. =) Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you liked the video.

Hugues - Thanks so much. I noticed "Hook" was at Tiburon & Shriekfest. I love both of those fests. Denise Gossett, who runs Shriekfest, is one of the nicest festival directors I've ever come across.
I'm currently working on larger projects... just takes time. Hopefully there will be something out this coming year. Thanks again.

Andzei - I actually haven't converted to SD yet. The file is just a web encoding straight from the HD master. For me, I always try to keep it at its source resolution then downconvert at the very last step if going out to digibeta or other SD formats.
As for dumping the p2 cards, my assistant used my apple powerbook connected to 2 Lacie 'Rugged' firewire bus powered drives. We have a duplicate of every file on set, then afterwards at the hotel we'd transfer to 2 larger drives and erase the portables. On this shoot, we had no errors and we never had to wait for cards. Having someone who's quick with the offload is very important. I could never justify the purchase for a P2 store or any other Panasonic hardware.

Thanks again for the feedback everybody.
CJ Roy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work