Man With A Moustache!!! Watch It!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 9th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #1
New Boot

Man With A Moustache!!! Watch It!!

Here's the quicktime link to the finished comedy short i just finished with some friends. I'd love to hear some feedback. Hope you all enjoy.

http://mlfilm.com/popitup.html

if that doesn't work a crappier quality version can be found:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...&videoid=14881 5899
Matt Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

OMG. You guys should be committed. I loved it.
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #3
New Boot

so funny

Firs of all sorry for my english

So funny movie, you sourprise me whith a very simple idea, but very good working with the script, an realization.
I waiting for your next work. Congratulations.

Muy buen trabajo, sobre todo divertido y muy bien llevada la idea. aquí es donde se ve la importancia de un buen guión felicidades.
Ruben Benito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Really Funny. As soon as he walked into the park I started giggling, 'cos I knew what was coming... and you managed to tie it all up with a funny hollywood ending too, which is such a hard thing to do with this kind of subject matter. What are you doing next?
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That was funny and very well done.
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #6
New Boot

Moustaches

I'm glad you guys liked it. We're working on trying to get the movie into some film festivals, and just get it seen as much as possible. There's a short script I've been working on for a while (a drama) that i want to get done...but i think we're going to try and make some more, shorter comedies in the same vein in the meantime. thanks for the kind words!
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm planning a short film festival here on the Isle of Man for next year if you would like to submit?

I really loved your film,well done!
Phil Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #8
New Boot

happily

If you give me the information or a link, i'd be happy to submit. It's been a real chore trying to sift through the sea of festivals and find the ones worth spending the time and money to submit to. Look forward to hearing from you though, phil.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Matt, not sure in you know about this service.

http://www.withoutabox.com/v2/

Makes life a whole lot easier.
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #10
Major Player

really funny, nice job!
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey . . . nice job. This was really really funny. One of the few shorts I've seen lately where I laughed out loud. I have a couple of suggestions, but nothing too drastic. I think that each of his interactions was great, but I would've cut his final confrontation with the "undercover cop" a bit short (i.e. as soon as you run away) . . . the deal with the Christ pose just made it a bit bizarre rather than funny. Also in the park (which is probably the funniest scene in this I think), I would cut to the predator a bit quicker. Maybe have the shot of the kids playing over the drug dealer's dialogue a bit more.

Enough of that. Check out waterfrontfilm.org - I've heard nothing but great things about this festival . . . including its bigger and bigger attendance levels each year. It's got big time sponsors and what looks to be a nominal entry fee. Take a look. Good luck.

Jason
Jason Dirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #12
New Boot

thanks for the responses

i really appreciate all the encouragement, and suggestions. I'm glad that enough people are sticking through to the end of it, as i was a little worried that the length was a little too long, and the film festival suggested seems to be doing well for itself...i'll definitely add it to the list...
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #13
Trustee

I echo Jason's comments. I just think the editing needed to be a bit tighter. A few dramatic pauses are okay, but there were a few too many. I like the idea to overlay people's dialogue (like the drug dealer talking about the pedophile) over the pertinent video.

I find this video particularly interesting as I have grown out my beard for a shot I want to get for my upcoming movie. The stupid comments I get, even after I explain my motivations, are no less silly than those from the characters in your movie.

Me: "I am growing it out so my character can look disheveled from being in a medieval hard-labor prison".

"It just looks so scruffy. I think you look better without the beard." they reply, right after I explain that I am trying to look scruffy.

Me: "I want it to look like my character has been imprisoned for years. It sets up an important aspect of the character."

"It makes you look older."

They essentially tell me that my beard has so perfect the intended effect that they can't help talk about it, but they think I should shave...
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Matt I just saw it.That is very nice dude.
What kind of camera was it?And the audio was not bad either.
Good luck.
Jimi King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #15
New Boot

The movie was shot on a dvx100b, and the audio was almost all recorded live, except for a few scenes (the drug dealer scene in particular) that were overdubbed due to wind noise. I think the next time I do this i'll try and have more screenings before the music is written to tighten up the movie, because by the time everything's locked it's almost impossible to tighten up much of the movie. but thanks for all the input guys. I'll look at it again and see what's do- able to fix.
Matt Leach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work