DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Raising the Bar 2 documentary clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/84016-raising-bar-2-documentary-clip.html)

Michael Pulcinella January 16th, 2007 10:21 AM

Raising the Bar 2 documentary clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2rd0dBc1Q

This is a link to a short clip from my upcoming doc Raising the Bar 2. I'd like to get some feedback, positive or negative, on the editing of it. We've already gotten feedback from the bobybuilding boards. All they were interested in was critiquing the clothes that they were wearing and the poor form of the exercises!! This is not an instructional video! I don't recommend that anyone workout or dress like these guys! :-)

Thanks for your time.
Mike

Michael Pulcinella January 17th, 2007 09:54 AM

Thanks to all of you who have viewed this post and my clip on Youtube. I'm a bit new here...is the fact that I have no comments about it a good thing or a bad thing? Or does it mean nothing?

Jeff Cottrone January 17th, 2007 02:30 PM

Michael,

I enjoyed it. I hardly noticed the production work. Partly because he is such an interesting subject and partly because the editing is so seamless. The only time I noticed that it was a production was near the end on the leg machine when you panned the camera and zoomed instead of the smooth cuts you had been using up to that point. Not that it doesn't work necessarily, but that was the first time I noticed the production aspect of it. Or maybe it was because there wasn't a voiceover during that section. Anyway, great job!

Michael Pulcinella January 17th, 2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Cottrone
Michael,

I enjoyed it. I hardly noticed the production work. Partly because he is such an interesting subject and partly because the editing is so seamless. The only time I noticed that it was a production was near the end on the leg machine when you panned the camera and zoomed instead of the smooth cuts you had been using up to that point. Not that it doesn't work necessarily, but that was the first time I noticed the production aspect of it. Or maybe it was because there wasn't a voiceover during that section. Anyway, great job!

That's an interesting observation. I know what you mean. I don't particularly like those kinds of pans and zooms but I remember I just wanted to throw in a different kind of shot for variety. Or that's all that I had to work with, I don't remember!! I'm glad you felt it wasn't too distracting. Thanks for your input Jeff.

Mark Bournes January 17th, 2007 03:42 PM

Michael, very interesting topic. Back in my "on air" sports days, I featured someone like this and did a 2 part series on what it took to train for a bodybuilding competition. I liked the feel of your piece. The pacing was good, the music was good, but a little repetitive. Different music will break it up a bit and help the pacing. Overall from what I saw I would love to see the whole thing. Please post it when it's all said and done. Good job!

Michael Pulcinella January 17th, 2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bournes
Michael, very interesting topic. Back in my "on air" sports days, I featured someone like this and did a 2 part series on what it took to train for a bodybuilding competition. I liked the feel of your piece. The pacing was good, the music was good, but a little repetitive. Different music will break it up a bit and help the pacing. Overall from what I saw I would love to see the whole thing. Please post it when it's all said and done. Good job!

Thanks for your advice. You're right. The music does need a bit more variety. I see that now. It was composed specifically for this project by Martin Bailey. I'm going to talk to him about adding something to it.

I will let you know when it's complete. This doc is a sequel to the original Raising the Bar which has been very popular in the bodybuilding world for the past year or so. If any of you would like to view the trailer for it please go here...

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/store/v...g-the-bar.html

Mark Bournes January 17th, 2007 04:22 PM

Michael, where did it air? or was it straight to DVD?

Michael Pulcinella January 17th, 2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bournes
Michael, where did it air? or was it straight to DVD?

Straight to video. Its success was actually somewhat of a surprise to me. I made it for my brother (the subject) and his friends to have a laugh but word got out in the bodybuilding community that RTB was different from the usual BB vid and I began getting orders from various BB websites.

Being an outsider to BB, I hadn't realized that no one had ever shown the day-to-day, behind-the-scenes, gritty reality of the bb lifestyle and the BBs loved it! It was basically a home movie edited like a documentary. Go figure!