Snowkite Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Snowkite Trailer

Here's the trailer for a snowkite action film I shot last winter using the Sony FX1:

http://www.snowkitefilm.com/files/en...trailer_hd.wmv

http://www.snowkitefilm.com/files/en...iler_large.wmv

The footage was deinterlaced and color corrected with Magic Bullet. Twixtor was used for the slowmotion. Enjoy!
Morten Gjerstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Excellent footage and editing. Maybe overused the flashes on the jump cuts, and maybe dubbing some sound fx would be good, but great job...

Cheers
Andy
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Morten,
Just saw your video cool very cool.... I also love the bloc party song by the way!!! I haven't heard that mix before though; i'll try and find it online somewhere.

Once again cool stuff!!!
Tunde Anjorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:51 AM   #4
Major Player

looks nice, especially blue sky in the background...

personally i am a wakeboarder and its fun to look that some of the tricks are really similar to cable-ski wakeboarding...especially landing to blind....
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Had no idea that sport even existed! Your trailer makes it look like FUN! Beautiful production.

I don't think you overused the flashes. It would be too much if that was happening all the time in the video itself, but for a trailer it's fine. I do agree with Andy that a few well placed SFX would enhance it a bit. I also like how you "introduce" us to the the kite in the first clip that it appears. Great job!

Don't remember if the trailer tells us...where was that filmed?
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

"Don't remember if the trailer tells us...where was that filmed?"

Most shots in the trailer is from the Hardangervidda plateau in Norway. The video was shot in the U.S, Finland, Sweden, Italy and France.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Great work!

Where in Norway are you?

Gunleik
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:44 AM   #8
Major Player

That looked amazing! What did you shoot with? Is MB easy to deinterlace with? I tried with FCP, but the explanation was so confusing I ended up with a horrible file in the end.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Gunleik: I'm in Geilo.

Alex: It was shot with the Sony HDR-FX1. MB is very easy to use, but it has some extreme render times, so only use if you have lots of patience or a monster PC.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Major Player

Morten - Excellent usage of music with the footage - This is one of the better extreme sports trailers I have seen lately and the production values were top notch.

The flash cuts I feel added to the look and feel of what you were trying to convey and did not detract at all.

As someone who has worked as a visual content creator for close to 30 years, this was inspiring for me to watch.

All the best...
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I thought the trailer was awesome, I was just commenting that I think flash cuts (and glowing flickering blobs of light) have become a bit of an overused cliche, they don't detract... just everyone seems to be using them now.

Morten have you got any tips for using twixtor, you don't seem to have any "gloopiness" at all, I'm using it on kitesurf footage and it only really works if the rider is relatively small in the frame, and you program reference points, but that takes a lot of time. I've been using blend as it gives smoother results than neaest, but would apprecite if you have any settings to share.

Cheers
Andy
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I thought the trailer was awesome, I was just commenting that I think flash cuts (and glowing flickering blobs of light) have become a bit of an overused cliche, they don't detract just everyone seems to be using them now.

Morten have you got any tips for using twixtor, you don't seem to have any "gloopiness" at all, I'm using it on kitesurf footage and it only really works if the rider is relatively small in the frame, and you program reference points, but that takse a lot of time, it's a painful frame by frame process. I've been using blend as it gives smoother results than nearest, but would apprecite if you have any settings to share.

Cheers
Andy
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Morten:

Was that the 60i FX1, or 50i version ?
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Chris: 50i

Andy: Which version do you have? As long as you don't go under 50% there should be no " gloopiness" if you have an interlaced source and have the correct field order. Also remember to turn off field seperation in AE.
Morten Gjerstad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work