DV Challenge for Honour and Glory #1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 31st, 2007, 12:01 AM   #46
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens

Bruce, it was great watching you kick things up a notch: I didn't expect the gun, and the sense of "now it's time for some action!" was wonderful. Thought you might go off and fight some post-apocalyptic zombies, or something.
Thinking back to Katrina, and the breakdown of authority, the resulting lawlessness. Those legally armed who hadn't left before the storm were in a much better survival situation. The handling shown was a quick "press check" , part of what is taught at Thunder Ranch and other "schools" as a "system check" before moving into a situation that might get "dicey".

I teach Defensive Handgun and try to stay informed and current on these issues

Quote:
What's the story behind the house? It seems to have fit the bill quite nicely.
Well, it was the best I could find. I was really hoping to be able to find a house or building being demolished that suggested much worse devastation. I spent 3 days in rainy weather driving around looking for something usable and found two. When the weather cleared I went to my first choice to find a Bobcat moving the last of the debris to a dumptruck.

The house I used was actually being restored as part of a low income housing project. I had to keep the camera aimed high to prevent the new looking foundation from showing. The limited field of view also caused me to reverse direction with the camera and action in a way that's a no-no, but there was no other choice. The other 3 sides all showed either undamaged neighborhood or no damage to the structure.

Thanks for the comments.

Bruce
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:18 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman
Thinking back to Katrina, and the breakdown of authority, the resulting lawlessness. Those legally armed who hadn't left before the storm were in a much better survival situation.
Okay, I get it. Can't say I've experienced that firsthand, thank God, but I've heard the stories; a guy and his family had a pickup loaded with extra fuel cans, covered in a tarp. They're getting looks from everybody stuck on the highway, trying to leave, and even get accosted by a neighbor they thought was a friend. Their weapons were the only thing to stop outright fighting from breaking out. Seems like situations like that bring out the best and the worst in people simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman
The house I used was actually being restored as part of a low income housing project. I had to keep the camera aimed high to prevent the new looking foundation from showing. The limited field of view also caused me to reverse direction with the camera and action in a way that's a no-no, but there was no other choice. The other 3 sides all showed either undamaged neighborhood or no damage to the structure.
Didn't bother me in the least. I only noticed the reversed angle my second time through, actually. The first time I thought it was just a different side of the same building, so I think it works out.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:28 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Didn't bother me in the least. I only noticed the reversed angle my second time through, actually. The first time I thought it was just a different side of the same building, so I think it works out.
I noticed it as well but it didn't bother me either...

BTW, Bruce, you should post a link to the alternate ending!
I won't give anything away in case you do.

I thought it was excellent!

Mike
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Have to post to show my face...

I rented my camera, and I've been working wild´ly ever since it came back.

Though I had a slow spot where I could do this. It's now 2.30 am here, and I'll chill a couple of hours before i continue.

Sorry.

But here I am.

Gunleik
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #50
Major Player

I wouldn't worry about posting anything for this challenge, the deadline has long since past.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work