"The Lifeguard" shot with Letus35A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Trustee

"The Lifeguard" shot with Letus35A

Hi all,
Just finished a fun little thing a couple of my friends and I wrote and shot this past summer (started in August of 2006) and finished editing last week. I had bought a Brevis a few weeks before but as the first day approached I gave Quyen a frantic call asking for overnight shipment of a new Letus35a. Ironically, the Brevis showed up at my door just hours after we shot the last scene.

I received the Letus the day before the first time we had the pool, and checked it over. Unfortunately (perhaps in Quyen's haste) the focusing screen was installed at a bit of an angle, throwing off half of the screen's backfocus and resulting in a sort of split-prism diopter effect. After correcting that issue, I prayed it would survive the rest of shooting and that we wouldn't have to deal with fiddling with it any more. Luckily it held out, and using a few plugins like Neat Video and CinemantiQ we got some pretty neat-looking footage.

I didn't use the Letus for all of it, and the shots with just the bare FX-1 should be pretty apparent. People ask a lot here "will the adapter footage mix well with raw footage" and the straight answer is yes. We shot some pretty grainy footage as we cranked up the shutter speed for a high action scene and not one person we've shown it to has raised a peep about it.

There were very severe cases of chroma aberration, vignetting, barrel distortion and dirt with the Letus when we shot it. However as the film neared completion I took it upon myself to export the shots in question to .bmp sequences, then batch process them in Photoshop with the Lens Distortion filter correcting these issues. This took a lot of time but was well worth it in the end. Some shots that suffered really bad vignetting are completely restored now, you can't even tell they were touched. Very neat stuff. There's still some dirt on some shots, but...in reality, most people just don't care. If it doesn't interfere with the story, I'm not really going to go out of my way to perfect it.

Anyway, here it is. It was a lot of fun to make and I sort of wished I had access to so many enthusiastic people to work with last year in high school.

http://www.thelifeguardmovie.com/
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Major Player

I liked it! The quality did vary a little in certain spots but it was a lot of fun. I loved the opening credits as well. Nice job!

The acting was pretty good too.

It seemed like a few shots may have went on a bit too long but that may have been your intention. Great work overall! I wish I had some of your equipment and body count. ;)

How long did this take from start to finish?
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Trustee

Hey Mike,
From start to finish this project represents about six months. Thanks for the feedback!
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Hey Mike,
From start to finish this project represents about six months. Thanks for the feedback!
It shows! Nice quality work...

Mike
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Major Player

hey ben, really enjoyed your film.. youve shown awesome improvement over the past year. your stuffs really looking nice
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I thought the movie was fantastic! That was a great short film......keep up the good work!
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Major Player

did u sing that song at the end.?
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Anyway, here it is. It was a lot of fun to make and I sort of wished I had access to so many enthusiastic people to work with last year in high school.
That was like a refreshing slap in the face. It had a neat air of originality so unlike much of what is a pretentios imitation of bg blockbusters.

Yours had a smooth flow, the actors did great, I thought the camera work was just what it needed to be and on top of it all it was highly entertaining.

The mom covering the little girls eyes was a masterpiece of subtle humor.

I think you ought to submit this to the IFC. I think it has a good chance of being shown there.

Bruce Foreman
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
hey ben, really enjoyed your film.. youve shown awesome improvement over the past year. your stuffs really looking nice

did you sing that song at the end.?
That would be greatly because of this very website. I'm flattered you remember me! The singer of that song is actually Danny Townsend, the actor who portrayed the lifeguard. He has a great voice, one of those jack of all trades :) Rather, I wrote and recorded the instrumentation.

Bruce, thank you, I was never that familiar with IFC but I'll look them up now. Time and again, people have been telling us their favorite part is the family scene.

Thanks very much. I can't even begin to describe how much fun this was to make.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Major Player

That was very well done! I really liked the intro, and like others have said, the family scene is my favorite. I also thought you did a really good job with the music, plus the Letus scenes looked great.

I will definitely be keeping up with your work, I've bookmarked your site.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work