"The Date" new short film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 11th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1
Major Player

"The Date" new short film

Check out a new short film I did and please give any feedback, postive or negative, including any constructive criticism. Thanks guys.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SuperbadDuke

Its 5 minutes. Around 19MB. Hsould play for everyone on youtube.

Last edited by Brian Duke; February 11th, 2007 at 02:54 PM.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Great work!
Very funny... the acting was pretty good as well.
Nice look too!

I would have liked a longer shot of the shirt the camera guy was wearing... maybe with a better quality clip it wouldn't be an issue.

Mike
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Trustee

Brian,

I really enjoyed it. The acting was pretty good as well as the story. Do you care to share you encoding settings for youtube.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Duke, that was absolutely awesome. Nicely shot and composed, excellent acting, beautiful look.

The only thing I wonder about is that the editing was pretty fast -- not a lot of pauses between conversations -- but that may have been your point, to make us as bewildered and bombarded as the guy.

Nice work.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams
Do you care to share you encoding settings for youtube.
That's pretty easy, since I also have been trying to learn to get the best encoding. I found out that Quicktime H264 gives you the best quality at the lowest MB for your money. I exported a 1.6GB movie to Quicktime H264 at one of the smallest sizes. I think it was around 360X280 or something like that. Hope that helps and thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kirkpatrick
The only thing I wonder about is that the editing was pretty fast -- not a lot of pauses between conversations -- but that may have been your point, to make us as bewildered and bombarded as the guy.
Thats' exactly what I wanted. You hit it on the nail. Bombarded, no chance to speak or get a word in. I wanted the audience to feel the same way. I'm glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
maybe with a better quality clip it wouldn't be an issue.
I agree with you but I have been trying to make it longer and it seems like there is too long of a pause between the dialogue. I.e. it loses the beat of the movie, however, I will give it another shot, since I do agree you want to see the short more. Thanks again for your kind comments.
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Trustee

I really liked it. The icing on the cake was the German film crew. The cake was that actress. She's really talented. She fired off dialog like a gatling gun and looked cute along the way. I loved the way the editing accentuated her vacillating attitude which kept Nevada, and the audience, off balance.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Marcus. Really appreciate the encouragement. Filmmakers work hard and long on projects and to get a satisfactory response is always helpful.. Obviously I welcome negative and constructive comments too.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #8
New Boot

that was great
George Chapanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I think most of it is very well done and was pleasant to watch, definitely way above average.

Some remarks: the scene with the German crew coming in felt a little bit messy and rushed, it could have been shot in a 'tighter' way to make it feel like it's really the climax of the short.

The lighting was also very nice but, and I don't know if this was intentional, it did feel more like it was lit like a commercial and while that does have a nice look, it makes everything feel less real.

But I am struggling with lighting myself and would love to hear how exactly you lit it, what was the equipment etc, because I did think it looked real nice.
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Leysen
Some remarks: the scene with the German crew coming in felt a little bit messy and rushed, it could have been shot in a 'tighter' way to make it feel like it's really the climax of the short.
I am no exatcly sure what you mean, because "messy" was what I was going for to get a feel of reality. Now, would I have doen things differently? Absolutely. This movie to me is only about 40% of my initial vision so far from perfect, but I was still determined to finish it.

Quote:
The lighting was also very nice but, and I don't know if this was intentional, it did feel more like it was lit like a commercial and while that does have a nice look, it makes everything feel less real.
I'm not sure if commercials are really lite like this. In any event, I am not a DP so I amprobably not the best person to ask about lighting. I had a DP do it. Again, we were under bad condition. Tiny apartment, ton of people, 120 degrees from a REALLY hot day and no AC and also all the lights. Plus we were trying to manuver the equipement around within a 16x16ft space.

Quote:
But I am struggling with lighting myself and would love to hear how exactly you lit it, what was the equipment etc, because I did think it looked real nice.
I used the JVC HD100 with a Mini35, my lowell lighting kit, had a dolly but it really didn't work in such a small space. One of my mistakes I regret. Hope that helps. Thansk for your input and comments.
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Loved it. Do you have quicktime version? I hate youtube quality.
Marlon Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Torres
Loved it. Do you have quicktime version? I hate youtube quality.
Hey Marlon, Thanks

Here is the link for better quality: http://hd-motionpictures.com/The%20Date.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work