Short little scene from my movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Short little scene from my movie

I'd like some feedback on what works and doesn't. Thanks.

http://www.citizencine.com/films/cel...cene04_web.mov
Marlon Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks good. A little dark (underlite) for my taste. Also I would work on the sound, probably do some ADR instead of the camera mic sound now. Poor sound just makes it less appealing. Its very easy and it makes a HUGH difference getting crisp sound. Its not like you have huge emotional outbreaks you are trying to recreate. The dialogue seems straight forward. Acting was good, which is pretty rare with indie films, so congratulations on that.

Can you share some information, such as Camera used, settings, storyline etc. Is this from a feature, short?
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Sound is definitely rough, haven't had a chance to work on it. This is a work in progress :) I used a XH-A1 with an M2 adapter. It is probably going to be a 20-30 minute flick. It's a love story about a guy who loses something only to find it a thousand years later :)
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Torres
Sound is definitely rough, haven't had a chance to work on it. This is a work in progress :) I used a XH-A1 with an M2 adapter. It is probably going to be a 20-30 minute flick. It's a love story about a guy who loses something only to find it a thousand years later :)
Marlon,

My advice if you do a short is to make it under 10 minutes. UNLESS you REALLY have somehting special, which I am sure everyone feel they have. Most people online or at festivals don't have time or patience to watch long shorts. Majority of times you can get your point across in much less time that you may think.

How does the quality look on a big monitor? How do you like the M2?
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Major Player

I also found it a little too dark in spots but the image is still very nice to look at. The pacing could be a little quicker but overall I thought I was quite nice. I liked some of the shots you used as well...

Nice work.
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm bumping up the midtones and fixing the audio as well, ill post a "fixed" version soon.

Brian, quality looks great on a plasma.
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Marlon;
This is very nice - you have a natural eye for composition, and the scenes were put together beautifully. FWIW, I think you have a real talent for this.

I'd concur with the others about the sound - it's almost like it's shot MOS, which is all the more bizarre since the images are so beautiful and professional looking. In respect to the image brightness, which is a bit dark, but not impossibly so, I'd comment that it looks to me that you have noticeable vignetting in the wide angle shots - what wide angle/cam combination are you using?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
Marlon;
This is very nice - you have a natural eye for composition, and the scenes were put together beautifully. FWIW, I think you have a real talent for this.

I'd concur with the others about the sound - it's almost like it's shot MOS, which is all the more bizarre since the images are so beautiful and professional looking. In respect to the image brightness, which is a bit dark, but not impossibly so, I'd comment that it looks to me that you have noticeable vignetting in the wide angle shots - what wide angle/cam combination are you using?
i am using a xh-a1 with m2 adapter, nikon 24mm lenses
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Major Player

i updated the file, should be a bit better (a wee brighter) ... improved the dialog a bit, but yeah... looks like ADR will be necessary.
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Torres
i am using a xh-a1 with m2 adapter, nikon 24mm lenses
Marlon, I'm not any kind of expert about 35mm adapters, but I think that you need to tweek the setup of the M2, which can be prone to vignetting like other adapters. Vignetting is clearly visible in a couple of shots.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
Marlon, I'm not any kind of expert about 35mm adapters, but I think that you need to tweek the setup of the M2, which can be prone to vignetting like other adapters. Vignetting is clearly visible in a couple of shots.
Vignetting only seems to happen with the wide-angle lens, i dont really mind it since the scene is a flashback sequence. Kinda makes it artsy :), now i just gotta add vignetting on the other shots.
Marlon Torres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work