DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Music Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/88438-music-video.html)

Daniel Gast March 7th, 2007 08:01 PM

Music Video

I decided to take a dive off the deep end and just post something I've done. Unfortunately I didn't have complete creative input on this one, I shot and worked on some of the editing. I did shoot the whole thing and provided some direction for the talent, but they weren't actors, and I didn't come up with the situations.

So yea...I really thought it came out well. The music video is to the song Temporary Insanity by The Weekend. We sent them a link just for kicks and giggles, still waiting to see if there's a response...

Anyway, thought I'd show if off here, get some comments. I'd love to hear any and all comments, but focusing on the cinematography is directly related to me...so ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG06r8oI-Lw

http://67.55.33.36/jdvideo/downloads/temp_insane.mov (Right Click/Save As)

Enjoy.

Edward Tomecko March 9th, 2007 04:48 PM

Great song, Daniel! Are those kids signed yet?

Bob Jones March 10th, 2007 03:39 AM

What equipment was used?

Daniel Gast March 10th, 2007 02:07 PM

A GL-1...that's it...and whatever you see on screen... It was a heavy overcast day, really really nasty to shoot in...I think the picture came out okay. Played with the exposure controls a bunch...

[EDIT: Well, if you want to get technical, it was edited on a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop with Adobe Premiere Elements 1.0. My editing software is SOOOO behind the times...]

Ash Greyson March 10th, 2007 11:07 PM

Fun song. My best suggestions are to use more wide shots and more tight shots, too many medium shots just get ho-hum pretty quick. Also, since you dont have access to a camera that does 24P, try the faux progressive mode of the GL1 or use some higher shutter speeds, especially when you are outside. It will give you a little more "pop" and less of that live news look. Also, try white balancing to light blue, it will give you nice warm color.

ash =o)

Daniel Gast March 10th, 2007 11:49 PM

Do tell about this faux progressive mode...I'm not terribly familiar with the GL-1, it was the only camera available on loan from the school.

And I'm also not up on white balancing to anything but...uh...white :) Generally that works well, but I guess on those drab overcast days, where all the colors are muted anyway.

We toyed with the idea of changing the saturation a bit in post, but decided we really didn't have time, had to get it turned in, etc.

My only defense against the ho-hum medium shots is that we only had one afternoon to shoot it, people who didn't want to act, and a frustrated cameraman (ahem, me) trying to not yell at the "direction" (quote placed on purpose...) for not planning it out better. So yea, basically my fault...

I wanted to shoot more coverage on all of the locations, especially the "band sequence" that was supposed to pervade the entire video. The problem was, neither of our two females wanted to lip-sync...and all we had were a guitar and keyboard (the drums, etc, were supposedly going to be there...I never saw them...).

The guitarest was half decent...the keyboardist was a joke (hence, only 1 second of screen time). So out of almost a good 5 minutes of "band footage", what you see is about all there was usable :) Or you'd just see lots of guitar...and that looked silly.

Ash Greyson March 11th, 2007 02:24 AM

The GL1 has a mode called frame mode, many people like to focus on it's technical flaws (slightly reduced resolution) but for most people, it wont matter one bit. It will give you a more film like look.

White balancing to light blue or even light gray can give you nice warm colors. Bumping the shutter gives you that "crispy" look which is great for tight shots of instruments or intense performance stuff.

ash =o)

Liam Hall March 11th, 2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson (Post 639664)
White balancing to light blue or even light gray can give you nice warm colors. Bumping the shutter gives you that "crispy" look which is great for tight shots of instruments or intense performance stuff.

Wrong. Gray is neutral. In fact 18% Gray is perfect for a neutral white balance. If you wish to trick the White balance to create warmer colors, then place a small piece of CTB gel over the lens when you WB or use a warm card, or just WB as normal and color correct in post.

Daniel, the biggest lesson you can learn from this video is to concentrate on what you are doing and try and do your best. You can't blame the cast, the director, the weather (overcast weather is actually good for shooting video) or anything else. I've never done a single shoot where the material couldn't have been improved by an 'if only'. You've got to work with what you've got.

Keep shooting, the video showed some promise.

Liam.

Daniel Gast March 11th, 2007 11:18 AM

Okay, never having bought them before, where would I find CTB gels? I know my school has a few, but they are picky about using them for student projects, I figured they were expensive...

And thx for the comments/suggestions :)

Ash Greyson March 13th, 2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 639672)
Wrong. Gray is neutral. In fact 18% Gray is perfect for a neutral white balance. If you wish to trick the White balance to create warmer colors, then place a small piece of CTB gel over the lens when you WB or use a warm card, or just WB as normal and color correct in post
Liam.

Not wrong at all... we are talking 1/3" CCD cameras here. Also, most kids posting here dont have any idea what a CTB gel is. For the record, it means, color temperature blue, which can help correct lighting or white balance in certain situations.

The Canon cameras respond dynamically to white balance and balancing to grey and balancing to white will give you very different looks. For warmer, I suggest a light blue.

ash =o)

PS Daniel, if you search you will find a thread where someone posted the effects of balancing to different colors in pretty simple to understand terms

Liam Hall March 13th, 2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson (Post 641109)
Not wrong at all... we are talking 1/3" CCD cameras here.

I don't think the size of the CCD has anything to do with the laws of physics.

Quote:

The Canon cameras respond dynamically to white balance and balancing to grey and balancing to white will give you very different looks.
This is very misleading. The only difference between white and gray is the luminance level. Point a camera at a white card, hit auto-exposure and you'll get gray.

For some basic tuition on WB, try here:
http://www.warmcards.com/wb101.html
http://www.mediacollege.com/video/camera/white-balance/
I hope that helps,

Liam.

Daniel Gast March 13th, 2007 10:01 PM

Now that that's over, lol, what's this about frame mode, I see the setting on the camera. What specifically does it change? Framerate? I'm too afraid to switch it without asking :P

Ash Greyson March 17th, 2007 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 641179)
I don't think the size of the CCD has anything to do with the laws of physics.

This is very misleading. The only difference between white and gray is the luminance level. Point a camera at a white card, hit auto-exposure and you'll get gray.

Liam, your communications on this board are fairly abrasive, I suggest you approach this as a community. Also, remember, many of the people on these boards are still learning, they dont need to be taught a lesson or pontificated to, they need practical advice.

18% Grey is something that mainly comes up in still camera world. I never referenced that. I am giving this kid PRACTICAL advice that he can understand. I can tell you that WB to grey, white, light blue, light green, etc. will give you very different looks.

I speak from the voice of experience, you would be hard pressed to find anyone on planet earth who has shot as much DV as me.

Daniel, frame mode is faux progressive mode on the Canon cameras. I would recommend you try it out. The only reason to avoid it is if you are shooing something that will be transferred to PAL which is probably unlikely. Try setting it to frame mode and bumping your shutter to 120. I think you will like the look.

ash =o)

Liam Hall March 18th, 2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson (Post 643510)
Liam, your communications on this board are fairly abrasive, I suggest you approach this as a community. Also, remember, many of the people on these boards are still learning, they dont need to be taught a lesson or pontificated to, they need practical advice.

There's no need to make this personal. I'm just trying to offer clear and accurate advice. I'm sorry if you feel my writing style is abrasive, I was badly educated.

IMO your advice about balancing to white or gray is misleading, particularly to newbies because if someone carries out a correct WB procedure pointing their camera at white or gray won't make a blind bit of difference; after hitting auto-exposure the white card will look gray and the gray card will look gray.

Don't take my word for it though, here's some excellent tuition;

http://www.internetcampus.com/tvp018.htm

Quote:

I speak from the voice of experience, you would be hard pressed to find anyone on planet earth who has shot as much DV as me.
I really hope this is irony.

Ultimately, if my opinion is not welcome here, I won't give it. I was just trying to help...

Cheers,

Liam.

Daniel Gast March 18th, 2007 01:44 PM

Calm down guys, lol.

Can't we all just hug and get along?